A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

Yeah, you'd be much better off making a game about something just like Kirby that uses all of Kirby's standard abilities but looks ever so slightly different.

It's funny when you think about it. Game companies that oppose fan games are actually encouraging clones, which are far more dangerous to them since those could be sold at profit and with the blogging sites as prevalent as they are, it wouldn't take any time for people to find out that they are linked to the main company's games in spirit even if they don't use the same characters, enemies, sprites, etc.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it makes sense but in the same time it doesn't...

i would say something about this but i think it would be a little conspiratory. =P

i still keep thinking, is a fan game really a bad thing for the companies?

seriously, fan games are made by fan to fans, it's almost impossible to get a sonic fan game out of the sonic comunity, unless it's THAT good, such as sonic fan remix.

and speaking of wich, did fan remix stoped people from buying Sonic 4 or Generations?

as far as i know, it didn't

If anything, I think fan games like Fan Remix encourage Sonic Team to put more effort in. Despite all the criticism, no one can deny Fan Remix was beautiful, most would agree it looked better than Sonic 4. I would hope Sega sees them as a challenge rather than a threat. Like "this is what 2 guys did in their spare time, alright, here's what WE do now."

I dunno about you, but for me those new graphical tweaks demand some custom sprites for Sonic and Tails as well. :3

i know i've been increasing my graphical skill but i'm still not able to even touch sonic's sprite without messing he up and making he look wierd

anyway, there is people on mfz with some awesome sprites but it just too much work, isnt it?

i mean, all he poses plus super sonic and as far as i know about spriting, it's really time consuming

i know i've been increasing my graphical skill but i'm still not able to even touch sonic's sprite without messing he up and making he look wierd

anyway, there is people on mfz with some awesome sprites but it just too much work, isnt it?

i mean, all he poses plus super sonic and as far as i know about spriting, it's really time consuming

I wish I could say that it is easy but it isn't. I don't mind Sonic 3 sprites, but I think that the scenary you're put in the game requires some pallete modifications at least. Also if got any weird you have the assistance of that guy (with the funny name) that helped you out on the tree and those pillars so I really don't see why not some custom sprites or custom pallete... :3

To be really honest I kinda think that Sonic 3 sprites seems out of place in these new screenshots.

I wish I could say that it is easy but it isn't. I don't mind Sonic 3 sprites, but I think that the scenary you're put in the game requires some pallete modifications at least. Also if got any weird you have the assistance of that guy (with the funny name) that helped you out on the tree and those pillars so I really don't see why not some custom sprites or custom pallete... :3

To be really honest I kinda think that Sonic 3 sprites seems out of place in these new screenshots.

i dunno if Geona is up for making a whole sprite sheet and there's also the super forms and the special forms wich makes in total of 5 whole sprite sheets.

that is... well, a bit too much

and a pallet change would just make this seem like a hack or "saturn"/"something after sonic 3"

so... do you know anyone who is up for a job like this?

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/vTikY.png[/qimg]

Act 3 Background

i'm just trying to make it fit with

Hm. I think you need to either get yourself a composer or pick music that's a bit more obscure if you're not going to go with established Sonic music. It's just that things like Stickerbrush Symphony and the Kirby music are very recognizable as DKC and Kirby. It takes me out of the immersion of the level a bit. That was an issue with the first game, like Tails' cloud level that had Kirby music.

I think when you have so much original content in terms of level design and graphics, it can be a bit of a step back to use non-original music for the game.

megadriving the tracks would work pretty well as we're all used to seeing sonic whilst listening to some bitchin' YM2612 tunes.

sonic is looking pretty fly though, only thing is that when he looks up it seems like he's bending his neck at a freaky angle. because it's a 3/4 view of his face it needs to resemble knuckles' look-up sprite a bit more. (http://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis/snk/knuckles.PNG third row)

BTS's re-OSTing is coming together as an awesome collaborative effort. I don't see why we can't give ATS the same treatment once BTS 2012's wrapped up for SAGE (and be done by the time the game's ready this time around!)

Still Lake's call though!

edit: those sprites in motion make me happy in my pants!

yup, Falk, Ristar, and some more

i don't actually know who are they yet and i dont know if a team has been already formed

i'll release a trailer for the SAGE 2012 version of BTS once a few more tracks have been completed

and yes, i'll let you guys make music for ATS when the BTS soundtrack is done and being that most of the zones in ATS has been made/planned without a music in mind, there is room for something new

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/vTikY.png[/qimg]

Act 3 Background

i'm just trying to make it fit with

@Dark Raven X

yeah, maybe...

at least they know we want sonic to get as good as it was in the 90's

even so... i think bad games will somehow emerge, like in the 90's :(<

Dithering looks good in places until it is way over-used like it is here. Try addressing that and things make looks slightly more polished.

There's a few people involved with BTS. I'm experimenting a little with having a bunch of people work on each others' stuff to see what the final result is like. This is pretty much in the experimental stage and it -is- really hard getting everything sounding like one cohesive soundtrack. I'm still working out the best way to go about things since all of us essentially use different DAWs and methods.

I'm hoping that the groundwork laid will allow for more people to contribute for ATS (or whatever other future projects needs original music) since I believe we really have a lot to learn from each other, but for now let me see how BTS goes and what can go wrong, etc. with a much more controllable set of variables

Believe me, I'm not trying to be elitist. :P