A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

Oh sweet, Andy's here too. I love you, Mr. Tunstall, your tracks are my favourites <3.

Anyway, this is the problem with game releases in general though. Making sure you release the game at its full potential but also making sure it gets released... AT ALL. Companies like Valve have a tendency to delay their games (WHERE'S MY HL3?!) but they always turn out epic because they spend that extra bit of time on everything instead of giving in to the whiney fans and releasing it as soon as possible.

However, other companies often attempt to do this, with good intentions but end up having their product fall victim to the dreaded Vapourware status (basically: Duke Nukem Forever).

Getting that balance right is bloody irritating. The musicians taking long is in support of the 'better game' logic but Lake's early release is in support of the 'avoid vapourware' logic, so all is in balance. I know vapourware usually drags out over multiple years but... you get the idea. It's all understandable, from a Game Development point of view.

Fortunately, with the combined might of the already epic game and the already epic soundtracks, it'll go down in Sonic fan game history, regardless.

Kicksomeass, ATS team <3

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the music for this game will be very epic since it's taking longer then expected. at least that is what I bet on.

Been awhile since I've played the demo. But it was pretty awesome I have to say. So I am still very much looking forward to the complete game.

You are very inspiring to other fans who wanna make cool Sonic fan-games someday tbh.

I know that ATS is far behind you in terms of making the game Lake and you're well into Chrono Adventure now, but I was reminded recently of a couple of things I want to ask anyway.

I was watching the final trailer the other day and I noticed you used Waddle-Dee Sonic to blast through several walls to go through an alternative path in PP zone (act 3 I'm guessing). Can you sonic spin through those walls as well or do you have to Kirby powers in ATS to be able to get to certain paths in some levels? Because I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd find that a big negative point about the game if so.

Also what's happening with the end of Sugar Splash Zone, if there isn't going to be a boss, will it literally be a sort of let down surprise for players when they complete act 3 and then the game goes straight to Cyan City? Or do you have something else planned for act 4?

You've missed my point, I have no problem with power ups/characters in general needing to be used either, it's one of the best things about 3&K, but some people (not me) don't think the Kirby art style fits sonic, and I can see that being forced to use an object from a completely unrelated series to get through a sonic level suddenly would annoy some, if loads of people really don't think it's a big deal then okay.

Oh, This is nice game!

I love it! XD

And, if Mr. Lake can figure it out how to Kirby Style Fits Sonic's, then i guess the game will don't have negative point! ;)

And, it's not Waddle-Dee, it's Beam! (well, i like Kirby Games too) XD

I'm and i was aware that people would get pissed/turned off by the kirby power ups. But i'm willing to take the risk since i'm not really trying to make a game for anyone here, i'm making the game i wanna make. =P

Anyway, NO! they aren't mandatory, they are only required in 2 levels out of about 50 being one of those 2 levels part of the special levels.

Enven though they are hidden in almost every level.

And about sugar splash...

Yes, sugar splash doesn't have a boss. The reason why is because when i designed sugar's splash boss it was fine but as the game went on it became very lackluster compared to the rest of the game's boss battles. So what did i did? I scrapped it and made another one... it was still very lackluster and i couldn't really handle it so i waited a little bit and later decided that suger splash shouldn't have a boss and i should move on and work with the rest of the game.

And trust me, i think i made the right choice, what you guys know about ATS are from the SAGE demo and the trailers, but there is a lot more you guys haven't seen yet, and boss battles aren't a thing you guys see very often.

If you read all of this, whem you get to Redhot Ride's boss you will probably know why i tought i made the right choice.

Anyway, there's an act 4 to sugar splash? No... instead it plays the end of level cutscene which is there to hint what the ring above the parhelion peak does. afterwards another cutscene plays introducing you to cyan city and falk's awesome cutscene music. =P

Edit:

Btw, it's great to see sfghq getting more active lately and it's awesome to see new fan games emerge from nothing.

Keep it up guys.

But i'm willing to take the risk since i'm not really trying to make a game for anyone here, i'm making the game i wanna make. =P

Ditto. That's something that some devs really need to consider. Keep going, Lake. You're amazing.

Around what % would you say of the soundtrack is complete?

And would you consider using tracks from the previous game?

Either way, the most important part of any game is gameplay, and according to the demo it looks like that part has no problems.

Btw, did you know that Sonic Bts has it's own tv tropes page?

To be honest, i don't even know why i asked that, my brain must have processed it as a good idea.

Still, You'd think that with 7 musicians helping with the music, each one would only need to make 7 or 8 tracks. I think that with the time he's given them they'd be done by now, but i'm no musician so i can't say. Well, falk DID apologize for it on his soundcloud. Too bad, i really wanted to see falk's re-arrangement of lava powerhouse, and foliage furnace act 1.

The songs people are most waiting for, FFZ act 1 and 2, are all done. Act 2 might not be what you expect though but it's still a great song.

Aaand, i'm not sure if it was really falk the one responsible for it.

Anyway, it seems like we're making progress, slowly but we are and hey guys, we still have a month to go.

That's good to hear, so progress on the soundtrack is picking up?

I seriously can't stop playing the demo and listening to the parhelion peaks theme.

Help.

I also assume that foliage furnace was inspired by planet wisp?

The songs people are most waiting for, FFZ act 1 and 2, are all done. Act 2 might not be what you expect though but it's still a great song.

Aaand, i'm not sure if it was really falk the one responsible for it.

Anyway, it seems like we're making progress, slowly but we are and hey guys, we still have a month to go.

Glad to hear you're more positive that the soundtrack can be finished in time even if it's not guaranteed. People will definitely love this game no matter what happens anyway.

ZigZax if you listen to FFZ act 1 in the demo you can hear some of the South Island theme from the Sonic OVA/movie referenced in the tune, I think that's the only sonic music that track references, but who knows what they've done in the remixed/extended version.

I Know!! That's actually the main reason i'm looking forward to it, I've always wanted to see an arrangement of "land of sky/metal sonic" from the ova, as well as land of darkness. Too bad there wont be a reference to the second one. I'm happy enough to get an arrangement of "land of sky" though, But where's the love for sonic the fighters? The soundtrack is way too underrated. :(

One question lake, Are you satisfied/ proud of the game? And how do you think it matches up(gameplay-wise) to lets say,sonic 1, sonic 4 episode 2, or other son ic games that are not sonic 2, cd or 3&knuckles?

https://soundcloud.com/funk-fiction

FFZ2 carries over the main melody and the same chord progression but mainly introduces new stuff. Sonic OVA references are no more (and tbh I never realised that the riff was even a reference to Sonic OVA).

I might do a guitar playalong with it at some point but it's currently tuned to open D minor so we'll just see...

Darn! I saw a link to Funk Fiction's page and thought "OHYAY NEW MUSIC". Then I read the context.

*cry*

Anyway, yay FFZ! I liked the Lava Powerhouse version before, sounded... 'ominous'. But Red Mountain should work too.

I approve!

I have to stress it's not actually a reference to Red Mountain; I just meant that it's slightly similar in feel. As far as I know the track has no references to anything outside of the ATS soundtrack.