A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Eggman Hates Furries

oddwarg

draftincludesm.png

Here is the latest version:

http://folk.ntnu.no/oddvahu/Permanent/EHF.zip

You need to extract the files from the zip file before running the extracted executable file.

This game will only work on the Windows operating system. It will not run on Windows 98 or earlier versions.

For those who want to know more:

Screenshots:

climbj.png

nowwhato.png

runpsaawnikkuchan.png

weee.png

YouTube videos:

This is a Sonic fangame which has grown beyond the initial plans. Still, I have tried to keep it short. The story is not complex; The game is largely based on presentation and style. It is seamless apart from a few 3D/hand drawn cutscenes and the main menu. The main focus of the game is clever boss battles and fancy cutscenes. One of the main inspirations for the audiovisual style is Gunstar Heroes. The engine is a general-purpose 2D physics engine of my own design.

• Like 1

Looks pretty different to most Sonic games to me, going to try this one... getting past that first bit with the monologues is going to be tricky for me, I'm shite at that type of game...

Also, instead of having escape quit the game during that sequence, make it skip to the part(s) where you take control of the bike?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

Looks pretty different to most Sonic games to me, going to try this one... getting past that first bit with the monologues is going to be tricky for me, I'm shite at that type of game...

Also, instead of having escape quit the game during that sequence, make it skip to the part(s) where you take control of the bike?

It's true I aim at something different from most Sonic games, and I hope it will be well received. It's kinda hard for me to believe that you actually think the intro is difficult though... :P

Because I just verified that you can win by holding the up arrow key all the way, except for a single place where nothing happens until you press the boost key to get some speed. It'll take some more time than a proper playthrough but you'll get through. Maybe I'm misreading your post. D:

As for skipping, I'll probably not permit any of that during the first playthrough unless multiple of people complain about it. But thanks for testing it!

I'm super impressed also. Those boss battles are the best boss ideas that I have ever seen in a fan game. Keep up the good work, and don't give up on this! Slow and steady man.

Don't worry, I won't let this project die.

I just finished and integrated one of those last two boss battles and the preceding cutscene. After the last boss battle and the final cutscene I can start the polishing phase. I might even add more levels and/or boss battles, knowing I can wrap it up at any time.

I've already begun building the main menu:

selecti.png

It rolls smoothly, but other than that, nothing works yet.

Expect more progress within a few weeks.

Damn. I haven't seen fangames this impressive since sonic nebulous. I'm gonna download the demo soon. BTW, I love how the first video made me think of the Seven Force(Gunstar Green) boss battle from gunstar heroes, then the second video featured a boss that had the Seven Force's theme playing. That was tight, lol.

X)

Yay, more feedback! :tgrin:

I don't get response on the other forum I'm currently advertising at, though. Heh.

Damn. I haven't seen fangames this impressive since sonic nebulous. I'm gonna download the demo soon. BTW, I love how the first video made me think of the Seven Force(Gunstar Green) boss battle from gunstar heroes, then the second video featured a boss that had the Seven Force's theme playing. That was tight, lol.

I'll admit that the first boss there there was created under the influence of Seven Force. I'm glad you like it.

Trying to watch the intro and I just got like a million error messages, am I doing something wrong?

[qimg]http://i51.tinypic.com/mil1uc.jpg[/qimg]

Agh, I didn't expect that. The problem is that you have an apostrophe in your file path(at "Clark's", to be specific). It will work if you move it somewhere else, like program files or at the top level. I'll probably have to make a workaround for that(don't worry, I know exactly how to do it).

Wait a sec. This was made with Game Maker? That's pretty awesome. Most Game Maker games I've played runs slow or is just too bugged.

Yeah, I've been using Game Maker since forever(and I've made a bunch of crappy games too) so I guess I can call myself a veteran. I am trying to get away from it though, because it's CPU-intensive, non-portable and I don't like their business policy.

This game.

This game right here.

Your opinion will be taken into account.

That was amazing! The commentary isn't quite synced with the words though.

If it runs out of sync then it might lag a bit on your computer. It's supposed to run at 60 frames per second. There's a frame rate counter in the top-left corner, if you care to check it.

Thanks to everyone for the motivation! I'll try to get this done before Christmas. Then again I always say that.

• 2 weeks later...
Got it to work. When the text appears the frame rate drops dramatically. When it isn't there it runs at the 60 fps you've mentioned but everytime it appears it drops to around 18.

I fixed the bug with the path names containing the character: '

It was, in fact, a lot easier than I expected. I also optimized the text drawing. It should no longer cause such a slowdown. The new version is uploaded, and the link is the same. There's no new content there but you can check if it performs any better if it is of any interest.

I've also been working rather steadily on the ending cutscene and credits sequence, executing various experiments, neglection of my studies, and brainstorming with other dudes. I think I have a... worthy... conclusion. But it remains to see people's reactions.

By the way, here's a peek into one of those "experiments".

vat.png

I was shameless enough to post another one over at the screenshot thread, where Strife was kind enough to give me the universe.

The real final boss is still not done though. I'm a bit afraid of going at it but I'll get there. The graphics and engine for it are all in place. Again, thanks for all the support and do expect irregular updates.

• 2 weeks later...

I will probably ask you guys to beta test within a couple of weeks. I will be very grateful if you decide to participate.

The news this time is that I have finished the real final battle. It took about a week to produce, and I am pleased with the result. This means that the game is virtually finished, and that I can wrap it up at any time. But it does not mean that I am done with it.

The next thing on the schedule is a mandatory tutorial. This might at first glance seem unnecessary for a simple Sonic game like this, but I know that many people will initially be confused by the sequences where you have to play upside down or running on walls. But sadly, I will most likely not be able to work on the game until next week.

This is looks amazing. I look forward to see what you do with stages, but already the boss fights show serious potential. I see elements of Gun Star Heroes which is a game that is probably equally as awesome as STH. Very nice!

About the stages, I'll have to say that they're not the main focus of the game. On top of that, the game does not follow the Sonic formula; It is not clearly divided into stages and acts. Rather, it is a (for the most part) seamless linear world, sort of like Half-Life. At this time I have only 2 "stages", but about 6 boss battles(and numerous cutscenes). I do not have plans for more levels at this time, but there is a slight possibility that I will make one more.

No screens for you this time, because I am pretentious and have illusions of grandeur. Instead, you can listen to this completely unrelated piece:

Again, I thank you for your support and encouragement.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, double post. But this time I actually have some content.

I've come to the point where the game is in a sense completed and I don't know what I need to do to improve it. This is why I need you to test it and tell me what must be changed.

In other words, beta testing:

[Links removed due to new version.]

In order to play the game, you need to download both files, extract EHF_FILES.zip to a directory of your choice, and extract the executable into the "Eggman Hates Furries" folder. The total download is approximately 17MB.

If you decide to play through it(or as far as you can get) and give me some form of feedback, I will be grateful for your effort. I have some sort of idea of what will be said, but I will deal with everything as it comes. If you agree(or disagree) with something which has already been said by another person, it will be very helpful if you indicate this in your post. The reason is that I need to know wether many people experience it in the same way and/or have the same problems.

I also created a

• Like 1

I must admit, though it does have its flaws, this game is really fun. And also quite epic too, with the only bits of dialogue being monologues at the beginning and end. Plus, you made Eggman a bigger threat than he's been in the official games for YEARS. No, seriously, he really ain't screwing around this time...

Super Eggman was one thing, I've seen that joke before and it was a freakn' awesome boss fight, but then he suddenly pulls out a One Winged Angel, and I'm going, "HOLY FUCK WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!" Hell, he was actually kinda scary, and all you can do is just do what Sonic does best - run.

Bigger 'holy shit' moments than even the opening of Unleashed, I'll say as much. And a "wait what" moment, to top it off.

The gameplay itself is rather unorthodox for a Sonic game, most of it is boss fighting, and though the physics could use a bit of work, it's still quite fun. The bosses themselves were quite unique and a blast to fight against, even though you can die a lot.

Actually, you know what? I think it would be better if others gave more constructive criticism. I certainly enjoyed this game.

Very interesting way of storytelling... that's all good I can say.

Gameplay is way too boring for me to enjoy this game. It feels like I'm watching a giant cutscene...

pretty boring cutscene though. Nothing is happening 90% of the time.

P.S. I lol'd when saw Eggman-Ganon

Well this is certainly a weird little game! Here's my feedback:

1) Don't force people to play the bike sequence everytime they open the game. Always start with the menu or give people the option to skip it

2) Graphics are quite bland. Not very Sonic-like. Get some more detail in there

3) Running up the walls is not explained very well. I think you have to do it in the underground lava segment after the bit where you go down the pipe and get shot onto floating platform that moves across the lava but i can't figure out how. I just get stuck next to a wall and a non-moving wheel with platforms

4) That first boss with the 4 bladed arms when you're running down the tunnel? I really hope that isn't the start of the game because that thing is fucking difficult to beat. Perhaps have that boss later on and ease people into the game a little simpler

Don't force people to play the bike sequence everytime they open the game.

You can skip the intro after playing through the intro once. And it is made very clear once you open it the second time, so don't worry about that.

I just get stuck next to a wall and a non-moving wheel with platforms

I am certain that your problem is that you do not use the push-switch. There is a fancy-looking square block on the platform and you need to push it leftwards towards the triangle to make the wheel turn. I will add a tutorial message to that area, explaining how to use it. I should have thought of that earlier, but this is why I need beta testers anyway.

Your other points are not being ignored, I am just awaiting further response before I decide what to prioritize next(I need to catch up with my studies before I can make larger edits). All suggestions are very much appreciated, and I allow myself to emphasize again that I would like people to tell me whether they agree with what has already been said.

I am very pleased with the reactions so far, even though it does not suit everybody's tastes(if you do not like it and do not leave any suggestions then I will assume that this game is simply not for you).