A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Eggman Hates Furries

oddwarg

Wow, this game is really, REALLY fun. And when my little bro saw the ending with Sonic and Tails, he started laughing his ass off. xD Anyway, I need to play it again for the 4th time.

"scr_-9001.png" <- I lol'd.

That is a great attitude, I love it.

The peculiar level numbering is due to technical details...

Can I use my old save file with the new build?

Yes, this will always be possible as long as I don't state otherwise.

Finally finished it. I can't believe anyone on Destructoid actually took that ending seriously. That was hysterical.

It's also quite strange to think that some of the storys in the 3D Sonic games have come close to the ridiculousness of

Super Eggman

. I mean we've had some pretty stupid, over-the-top, apocalyptic boss battles before. It could only be a matter of time before we actually see this sort of shit!

Finally finished it. I can't believe anyone on Destructoid actually took that ending seriously. That was hysterical.

However, while it can certainly be looked upon as a joke, I would like to point out that there are several serious intentions behind it as well. I encourage the meditative to ponder what I might mean by that, on several levels.

Oh, and about that highly hypothetical reversal,

"all you can do is just do what Sonic does best - run."

Someone opened a a thread about it @sonicretro. http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=23705&st=15&start=15

It's nice to see how well received your game has become. The great piece of work you made deserves it.

I actually saw that topic yesterday, and it was a rather interesting read. It doesn't seem to have died yet either.

I like how they're trying to figure out the poem. I can't reveal too much on that one though, it would ruin the scheme.

Thanks again for the compliment, by the way. =D

However, while it can certainly be looked upon as a joke, I would like to point out that there are several serious intentions behind it as well. I encourage the meditative to ponder what I might mean by that, on several levels.

Oh, and about that highly hypothetical reversal,

"all you can do is just do what Sonic does best - run."

How anyone can look seriously at this game is beyond me. It was completely batshit nutterballs.

Very good though, it puts a new perspective on things. I've been meaning to say for a while that I enjoyed this game.

@LakeFeperd

I believe your facial expressions would have constituted valuable research data, but I think I can imagine the approximate emotion behind them. I am jubilated that you played and enjoyed the game.

Some of the stuff... it says EGGA, doesn't it?

Yes, because Eggman is a member of the European General Galvanizers Association. I am not really associated with them though, so I hope that they are not offended.

@Lumpy Space DW

Batshit nutterballs is definitely something I strive for. Your approval is very much appreciated.

I encountered a similar problem, but only when I was jumping right before the flash of the first boss' explosion. I haven't encountered it again.

Great game. Excellently implemented speedy gameplay and a thought-provoking, but minimalist plot. The ending really caught me off guard, the credits made me chuckle and raise and eyebrow, and the after-credits scene confused me.

:Spoilers below:

I don't have much of a problem with the ending, despite it weirding me out, because Tails does look a little older judging by his sprite's height compared to Sonic's. I'm really curious as to what made you compose A Ship Like This using jumbled Corey Bringas voice samples, and so far I've heard an interesting theory about Tail's Poem: it's actually the Tails Doll that's speaking. It doesn't make sense, but it's interesting, given that the Tails Doll is right before Tails. Other than that, all I can gather from it is that it's Tails talking to Eggman about Sonic in a soliloquy. He'd rather die than let Eggman research him to destroy Sonic, but he can't think of leaving his beloved either. He only hopes Sonic doesn't think he's endangered Tails by simply living with him.

I guess the moral of the game is that love transcends social conventions and is dramatically deepened by danger, a common threat, and the necessity to survive.

I do have one question: Who shot Super Eggman's ring halo? It looks like it was shot off by someone on a grassy knoll. Or did he just overload it to the breaking point?

:End Spoilers:

So, thinking of doing a sequel? Or is this one going to stand alone?

@LakeFeperd

I am mad scientist

But seriously, I do not mean any harm. I do, however, mean to leave an impression.

@leocartoon1yt

If you are interested then I can help you troubleshoot this issue, but it would be best to do it over email or PM as I do not want to clutter this forum any more. Also note that it will take some time to figure things out, and that it is somewhat unlikely that I can fix the problem even if the cause is discovered.

@MegaDash

You might be interested in this feature: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8388/spoilertag.png. If you are aware of it then I shall respect your reasons for not using it.

You will risk getting surface errors if your video memory gets cleaned up, for example when your computer goes into sleep mode or when you change your resolution. That is my best guess as to what brought forth the error in your case.

I attempted to make it appear as though the ages of the protagonists have evened out, and I believe you understand my most important reason for doing this. I have to admit that you have seen right through the disguises of the poem. Your interpretation corresponds to my thoughts on the day that I wrote it; There isn't much more to it than what you have said. And in case you are wondering, the filtered voice was just another device of obfuscation, it doesn't have any impact on the meaning. I do, of course, welcome other interpretations if someone manages to come up with one that makes sense.

The music for the credits wasn't originally created for that purpose, it is just something I made one day, for no particular reason. I used those voice samples because they happened to be in a folder I looked in and I thought it would be funny or something. I don't even know why I ended up using it in the game, but I think it does a satisfactory job of making fun of the whole event. It doesn't have a greater meaning.

About Eggman's fall; This may seem too simple, but he ran out of rings, much like you can run out of rings when you are Super Sonic. The one over his head symbolizes the last one. I might add a sort of counter or something in the next update since this isn't clear. It bothers me a bit, and I feel that it is unnecessary to mystify this.

And no, there are no plans for a sequel, and I lack a good reason to make one. I'll keep making games though, and it is not unlikely that some future project will be remotely similar.

Thanks for clearing all that up, oddwarg. Occam's Razor wins the day once again! Nevertheless, anymore interesting theories you've heard about Tails' Poem you'd like to share?

You used a number of original songs that you composed yourself in the game, like Or Smovr, Dass, Feisty One, Samwedo, and Invulnerability. All of these songs set a very eerie and unsettling tone to the present situation, almost like there's something very wrong going on behind what the player or Sonic can see, or convey a dreaded sense of urgency and danger in the case of the boss themes. Along with songs you've borrowed from other games, could you talk about what inspired you to compose and put together the soundtrack for the game?

Also, just a random thought about when

Eggman goes super: I thought it would've been cool if you could try and fight him in a legitimate boss fight before being blasted off of the platform. I feel it would've extended the thrill of the game's final arc before you end up fighting him as Super Sonic. I understand if you want to just leave the game as is, of course.

By the way, my favorite part in the whole game is when Tails rams Super Eggman with the vulcan barrel and pumps the Chaos Emeralds out of him with raw machine rounds.

Uh oh, looks like you have to put a disclaimer in now saying that Eggman Hates Furries may cause uncontrollable fits of choking.

Well, the cause of the shocking wasn't only the game.

Everytime i touch my computer i get a electric shock(im not lying)

And 2 kids playing my wii and screaming really high( poor wii remotes... =(... )

@MegaDash

I haven't heard any other attempts at interpretations, no.

If the music really gives that sort of impression, then it's honestly more than I could have hoped for... xD

But I can talk about it:

Firstly I must say that I am completely self-taught when it comes to making music, so I suspect that I'm thinking about things in a slightly different way than people who have an education in the field. I think this can sometimes be a good thing, but then again I don't really know what I am doing and the techniques I have mastered are quite primitive.

The music I make is rarely directly inspired by anything, and when I start something new, I usually have no idea what the result will sound like. Even if I have a determination, it is likely that it will get twisted in another direction through the process. Examples of exceptions would be the enactment of the poem at the end, which is heavily inspired by this thing, and the music for the menu, which is clearly an attempt at emulating a certain

. I can, however, not provide a good explanation for why the menu music was used.

Many of my own tracks were at some point specifically modified for this game, but very few were created for it.

The choice of music is mainly an intuitive one. I can't really put any concrete set of criteria on it, I just choose a song which feels right. Finding this piece of music can be a long process though. So yeah, I usually find a fitting music after I've begun making the sequence, since going the other way yields unpredictable results for me. (There are exceptions.)

I also resort to asking my friends about whether they think a piece of music fits or not, since I am sometimes very unsure.

I guess I use tracks I like from other games when I think that they can add more to the experience than any of my own songs. But I tend to avoid the obvious choice; I just don't like to be too predictable.

These tracks are also references, and for that reason I like to keep the span rather wide, to show that I like different kinds of things. Still, I usually avoid tracks that reference their source too strongly(like character themes), because I find it a bit distracting. I can safely say that all of the games from which I have "borrowed" music have inspired me, and they are all highly reccommended(except maybe Sonic R, that particular track is just a joke :P).

You do actually regain control over Sonic for a few seconds before Eggman fires his laser, and I originally intended to make it possible to avoid his attacks for a short amount of time, but for some reason that didn't happen. It is unlikely that I will perform such changes at this time.

I've seen other people mention that scene you mentioned at the end of your post, and I do think the idea is a bit intriguing myself.

@Lumpy Space DW

My previous game had a warning which told the user that they could die if they played the game. But I think perhaps I will take my chances on this one.

Well, the cause of the shocking wasn't only the game.

Everytime i touch my computer i get a electric shock(im not lying)

And 2 kids playing my wii and screaming really high( poor wii remotes... =(... )

Excuse me if I am mistaken, but I think perhaps there is something wrong with your computer. Make sure they use the wrist strap.

Someone on another forum encountered the same problem with the draw distance:

I have 2 computers, I don't have the greatest of budgets so a 1gb ram Intel Atom 1.6ghz based Netbook and a 512mb ram old 2004 Dell machine with Intel Pentinum 4, it won't work on either machine.

Here's the image of the error: http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2586/aurgh.png

EDIT: Side note -- ever heard of

? Just an idea for a future fangame.

@MegaDash

I am almost certain that it has to do the video card hardware. But the game would not run properly on a system with 1.6GHz. Pentium 4 could be almost anything though.

I'd estimate that 2GHz is a minimum requirement for this game. There is little or no multithreading so a greater number of processor cores will not give much speedup.

There is a small chance that optimizing video memory usage would get rid of the error on some systems, but I cannot test it and it would most likely be unplayable on such hardware anyway due to low framerate. In the next version the game will display a warning and then continue running with missing graphics instead of repeating the error. This way it will not go undetected if the game actually runs fine apart from the presence of the error on some systems, and people might stop reporting the error in the other case.

To anyone curious about their specifications,

Start Menu -> Run -> dxdiag

will yield some basic system information in Windows.

Also, I made a small test program which might reveal some truth if it is run by someone who experiences the problem.

Zodick... wut

EDIT: I updated the file with the promised changes.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I rarely post on this forum but wanted to give my kudos to Oddwarg for a weird and wonderful game! Just played it start to finish now (late to the game, I know) and thought it was great! Rarely have such a blast from fangames. Plenty of "OMG" and "That isn't about to happen...is it?" moments.

Look forward to any future projects from you Oddwarg!

• 2 weeks later...