A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SonicGDK 1.20.109 (along with playable levels inside)

Xaklse

Nah I figured out kismet thanks to Handepsilon's tutorial, thanks for the offer though!

Although I could do with a bit of help setting up a 2.5D camera. I added a CameraInfo and got it working with kismet, but the camera is too far zoomed in and facing on the wrong side, anyway to fix this?

Try to experiment with "Camera Offset Vector", which may change camera facing and zoom; also, select the CameraInfo, copy it and paste to Notepad and here to check which values you're using.

Camera system has so many configurable values... I understand that you get lost.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plus, UE4 isn't free, and that the fat it takes a bit more power to effectively run UE4.

No, SonicGDK would need to be rewritten, and there is the fact that very few people are using my framework.

Maybe can be possible to port parts to UE4, some main classes, like pawnsonic, the physics and some gimmicks using the Blueprint system only, thats is why I am learning it (I have programming knowledge, at least the basics), and then port things over, since the engine is much more easier to use(really), faster, reliable, and with more resources, it may be worth of the time wasted in udk problems and lack of some stuff from importing basic jpg images(waste of time converting to tga to take a lot of space and time importing) to the browser and other stuff not been that friendly, compiling times along others problems(aside that, I still like udk).

At least I think is worth a shot. Unfortunatelly, people seems to not been very focused in 3d games, aside from the ones made in blitz. And most people dont have the computers powerful enough and dont want to have to learn things. I guess.

Edited by Ricardo Raiohardt

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the first post:

- Download links:

MacOS standalone .dmg (Packaged Release 6; requires nothing): LINK

- Tutorials:

Download & preparation | Level creation | Advancing your level (videos, by Handepsilon)

Installation, building levels, game distribution | FAQ | Tips & tricks | Configuring modeling programs (text+images)

- Other playable games done with SonicGDK:

7NCabFm.jpg

Name: Sonic Souls

Version: 0.7

Author: Doky

Date: 2014

Links: Video | Download

WThjutT.jpg

Name: Sonic Lost Adventure

Version: SAGE 2014 Act 1

Author: Highwire

mJ63UIu.jpg

Name: Project Endless

Version: 0.02

Author: Biggerboot

d5Cpfp0.jpg

Name: Green Hill Paradise

Version: Beta 1

Authors: SuperSonic68 and TheActualKK

Date: 2012

hjJBKfd.jpg

Name: Project AXSX

Version: 02

Authors: Andrew75, Xaklse and Skarik

FJwnN8J.jpg

Name: Green Hill Zone 2.5D

Version: 11

Authors: Andrew75, Xaklse and Skarik

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMuqt6civvs

It's a shame he used that level, bottomless pits which need precise jumps are evil.

An unrelated note for other people developing with SonicGDK, be sure to check the last 2 questions/answers of this FAQ.

Where can I modify the playable characters of the main menu?
Open DefaultGame.ini file of \UDKGame\Config folder and go to the bottom part.

• To add a new character, clone one of the lines that start with "AvailableChars" and change the "ClassName" and "ReadableName" fields.
  • To remove a certain character, put a semicolon at the beginning of the related line.
How do I add unlockable levels to the main menu?
Open DefaultGame.ini file of \UDKGame\Config folder and go to the bottom part; clone one of the lines that start with ";MapsSequence", remove the semicolon and change the associated value of the field. Repeat the process for each level; the order matters.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New 1.20.066 version is up!

Source Code (requires UDK July 2013): LINK

What's new? In short:

• Added configurable footsteps and other sounds of the character.
  • Finished stats screen with optional ranks.
  • Improved interaction with various objects for low framerates.
  • Added configurable invulnerable parts and weak points to enemies.
  • New Kismet nodes: OpenNextMap, QuitToMainMenu and ToggleEnemyData.
  • Created the HomingTargetActor and HomingTargetActor_Movable objects.
  • Improved sounds played for rings drop, rings pickup and classic jump.
  • Added lock-on sound for homing attack.
  • Restored warning graphics for having no rings.
  • Better code for the music played by extra-life monitors.
  • Modified invulnerability monitor so that it displays an icon on the HUD.
  • Added MaxEmeralds configurable field to ChaosEmeraldActor.
  • Now cheats are disabled by default.

Don't expect any more code updates guys, I consider SonicGDK finished!!!

• Like 2

I'll keep improving the documentation of the wiki, and updating the first post with playable levels.

I'm moving to Unreal Engine 4; what will I do with it? I don't know yet.

Oh, and check my new game, hope you try it if you can.

Xalkse, just for knowing, there is any chance that your work with UE4 be another engine or at least one or two things of sgdk like the character or a generic character? I wanted to move my project to ue4 but I not having time to try to recreate at least the character from the basis of sgdk. Even been more easier now.

Edited by Ricardo Raiohardt

Even less people would use it because no-one wants to pay $14 a month to make a game they can't earn anything from.

I dont remember if the information is cooherent about not need to pay every month after some time, but without support and updates. Also ue4 is still in the beggining of commercial life opened to all people, these subscriptions can change, and maybe a more UDK style licence could be released.

Well, and I personally would pay for it, because is a hobby, and I get more stuff for my portfolio and training. Not to say I am plannign to use it for work too.

Xalkse, just for knowing, there is any chance that your work with UE4 be another engine or at least one or two things of sgdk like the character or a generic character? I wanted to move my project to ue4 but I not having time to try to recreate at least the character from the basis of sgdk. Even been more easier now.

I'll probably do something related to character movement for UE4, but I may not share the code. And no, no public projects/engines are planned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New SonicGDK version is up, it only includes bug fixes due to SAGE (fixes for special stage, save slot #3, and BumperActor), thanks for reporting them.
Source Code Patch (1.20.066 to 1.20.072): LINK
Source Code Full (requires UDK July 2013): LINK

Anybody here has a Mac? Could you please test THIS?
  • Like 1

New SonicGDK version is up, it only includes bug fixes due to SAGE (fixes for special stage, save slot #3, and BumperActor), thanks for reporting them.

Source Code Patch (1.20.066 to 1.20.072): LINK

Source Code Full (requires UDK July 2013): LINK

Anybody here has a Mac? Could you please test THIS?

My Mac only has a core 2 duo and on chip graphics but I could try to see if it will run.

Also, should this be good on post July '13 UDK?

Edited by Biggerboot
  • Like 1

At least try to see if the game boots.

SonicGDK should be compatible with any post July '13 UDK version; keep in mind that once you upgrade, your packages won't be opened by older UDKs. Also, the newer UDKs only have mobile improvements.

At least try to see if the game boots.

SonicGDK should be compatible with any post July '13 UDK version; keep in mind that once you upgrade, your packages won't be opened by older UDKs. Also, the newer UDKs only have mobile improvements.

I got the infamous "this application won't work with this version of OS X" error.  

I'm on OSX 10.4 (Tiger) which is pretty old.  I probably need 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later because that's the oldest version that works with the Mac Store, where I could update to 10.9 (Mavericks) for free.  Buying the OS itself would cost me money I think.

It probably works with Mavericks but I'm in no position to test it right now, sorry.

Edited by Biggerboot