A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

You know I find that I really keep coming back to all these threads because i just cant understand how this is so hard for them. They could just rehash all the gimmicks from the GENESIS games and make a 2D game that worked, and they could do the same for 3D. It can NOT be that hard, dude. Maybe for fangamers, but not for a first party or even Dimps. If WE can recreate the engine used in the genesis games and even improve upon them, there's no reason why Sonic 4 should be running on such bullshit.

When Nintendo makes a new Mario platformer, they bust out and think of tons of different, even outrageous ways for Mario to do more of the same shit he's always done, and everyone is happy. (except for Sunshine, for reasons i really dont understand. The water effects and puzzles in that game were absolutely amazing.) Sega makes a Sonic game and its like they REFUSE to brainstorm the game before they rehash the elements and model new environments to paste over them. Seriously, what has Sonic gained in the past 10 years since Sonic Adventure 2? Rails USED to be the coolest shit ever, now look at them. Their use has been OVERLY SIMPLIFIED since their creative applications and placements in SA2. Now they're these odd colorful tracks just there for no reason. They even removed the physics about them -- you dont even need to use gravity or apply speed to gain momentum on them anymore.

Ill say Unleashed came pretty damn close to an ideal 3D sonic game. They actually decided to add gameplay elements that kept the player under CONTROL (wall jumping, ground pounding, water running, sliding, drifting) and not scripted events (sonic tornado gimmicks, the jump pads from SA, rivals bullshit, and now even GRINDING feels completely scripted.) Pretty much whenever Unleashed went 3D and WASN'T pushing you to boost, it felt like an actual sonic game. For the 3D games, all they need to do now is STOP with the goddamn "redlight/greenlight" elements and Homing Attack / Grinding based level progression and just move towards keeping the player in control of sonic. Just stop scripting the player through the game already. Any of you played Sonic Unleashed? You remember Eggmanland? MINUS the bullshit were___ parts? Yeah, that felt like a sonic the hedgehog stage in 3D. Even the 2D sections were on point there. But everywhere else, it just seems like they dont know what to do with the character anymore but let the character walk him into an object that throws him in specific directions, or a rail that allows him to progress the stage without the fucking control stick.

They ARE improving, but they just refuse to do the little things that would make a big difference. Sadly, when it comes to things like this game here, the problem is they aren't even going to try. They never intended to in the first place. This is just Sega banking off the name "Sonic" even more by putting a "4" on it and trying to make it look like the ones they did years ago. Everything about Sonic 4 so far looks rushed.

Yeah, Sonic Adventure was a pretty good game (good enough to motivate me to get 100% on it, at least). It's too bad a lot of people realize that only now, after all the recent crap. (I think that Brad actually pointed this out on his show a year or so back)

The best part of Sonic Adventure was finding all the awful bugs that never got fixed. Things like getting into the subway in Station Square as tails, or hovering outside the world as E-102 to where you could fall forever and not die. Me and SG had a list at one point

The best part of Sonic Adventure was finding all the awful bugs that never got fixed. Things like getting into the subway in Station Square as tails, or hovering outside the world as E-102 to where you could fall forever and not die. Me and SG had a list at one point

Don't forget fishing with big the cat into the transition points and crashing the game that way.

No, Sonic Adventure/2 put the player in control, not Sonic Unleashed. I played a demo of Unleashed at a Best Buy. I pressed the jump button a few times. Thats about it.

This. For all the talk about control, I think we're forgetting that the demo propels you forward and was riddled with rails. And yes all I played was the demo. And no, no one can hold that over my head because I "haven't played the full game."

Standing Upside Down at the Top of a Loop in Sonic '09 > Sonic Adventure's bugs

<3

Personally I never cared for Cream & Cheese. I they are two of the dumbest Sonic characters ever made.

Agreed, they add all this unnecessary cast each game, and add a new character each time that is completely unforgettable, I just wish they'd take the time to brainstorm a good game rather than brainstorm more idiot characters to add to the already batshit convoluted story they have going on right now.

I don't know either.

Anyway, check this out:

Bubbles is balloon fish type robot who returns back from the ruins of the Angel Island. Due to Eggman's budget cuts, not all version of Bubbles are spiked. However, watch out for the red ones!

Budget cuts? Wtf? Aside from just Bubbles, did they also just slyly hint that all badniks are gonna be recycled or am I reading too much into it?