A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

Kind of a shame that it's the same stupid wrecking ball we've fought in like, four games now. It does look good, though. I'm liking the cel-shaded look they gave the characters. It makes the 2.5D look quite a bit better.

It could be a miniboss. I mean, it is a sequel to Sonic 3&K, which had them.

P.S.- Where'd you find that screen, Overbound?

P.P.S.- Sslax, whenever I see you post, I think your name is Exlax

[qimg]http://www.tssznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Sonic4newscreen-1024x576.jpg[/qimg]

Alleged Sonic 4 boss. Surprise Surprise a rehash.

I think the Irony of the Rehashes is the rehashed everything but Sonic's looks LoL

To be fair, Robotnik still looks like he did in ::your choice of recent game here::. I always was fond of his Sonic Adventure/Sonic '09 redesigns anyway.

As much as it looks like a great rendition of that boss, I really hope they at least add some twists. If that picture is real I mean. I'm not entirely convinced, but then I never am.

In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say thats likely a shop because individual tufts of grass share similar jpeg artifacting as though they'd been copy-pasted from another picture. Thanks for that trick Blaze by the way.

Must say, at deeper glance the backgrounds are kind of...ugly. Its like they dont even fit. And when they moved in the video, they just completely lacked depth...specifically that third layer with the trees and the platform in the distance. the genesis games had a better feeling of depth to the backgrounds than this game did (which is pretty pathetic seeing how this is a console game)

BTW i love you much for the laughs in this topic, DW

If that picture is real I mean. I'm not entirely convinced, but then I never am.

Me either it looked a bit shopped to me as well still its topic worthy until we know.

P.S.- Where'd you find that screen, Overbound?

Stupid TSSZ.

To be fair, Robotnik still looks like he did in ::your choice of recent game here::. I always was fond of his Sonic Adventure/Sonic '09 redesigns anyway.

SA's I didn't mind if you really look at some of the art from the Saturn games its really just an extension of that. But SA2+ I hate.

So is there any specific reason the HUD is like halfway into the screen?

4:3 would be the reason I think.

BTW i love you much for the laughs in this topic, DW

Lets move its obviously making people upset so lets just stop.

I think the background might have the BlazBlue effect. If you were to really take a good look at the 3D backgrounds of BB, they were pretty low quality, but they somehow made the game look beautiful in motion.

I wouldn't call them "low quality", they just wern't giga high poly or anything. They were still artistically very well-done. I dont know about these though, if that picture isn't a Hoax then nothing seems to fit very well at all.

If the backgrounds animate and aren't just painted 2D layers slapped onto eachother then its a different story. It looks like pseudo 3D is what they were going for, but i still think so far its ugly. A playthrough might make me change my mind, but from that alpha video....everytime i watch it i like the backgrounds less and less. The parallax layers, anyway.

If sonic wasn't a cel-shaded, badly animated model and instead a sprite that equals the amount of detailed texture put into the backgrounds (looks like the brawl model would fit alot better), maybe it wouldn't feel that way.

edit: okay on another glance it doesn't really look all that horrible. I just need a video similar to the Alpha one that isnt horrible quality.

OH, DEAR GOD. The background is more hideous than before. The more foreground-y flat 2D trees and the seemingly 3D ocean background clash HORRIBLY. WHAT THE HELL, SEGA. It seems the developers have lost all ability to make even half-decent level art. I wonder how they're gonna screw up the level visuals even more at this rate.

Honestly, the only half-decent looking thing in this game are the actual 3D models, and even then...

Also, rehash for the lose. First the stages, now a boss? Jeezus.

OH, DEAR GOD. The background is more hideous than before. The more foreground-y flat 2D trees and the seemingly 3D ocean background clash HORRIBLY. WHAT THE HELL, SEGA. It seems the developers have lost all ability to make even half-decent level art. I wonder how they're gonna screw up the level visuals even more at this rate.

Are you serious? You're going to go all DAMNYOUSEGAAAA over this? The looks of the level is really up to opinion, and really, most things I hear about this game end with "...however, the level is very pretty" or something to that effect.

But yeah, I'd guess this is a mock-up (or go back to my miniboss theory) because of the zero points and the short play time. Aside from Sonic CD, none of the genesis games let you get to a normal boss that quickly and easily.

That wrecking ball is damn tiny. In the original, it was almost as large as Robotnik's pod itself. Now it's, what, twice the size of curled-up Sonic? And the screen is wide because of it being HD. Unless this boss has some new attack patterns (like faster movement, at least), this battle looks to be horrifyingly easy.

Also, rehash...awesome.

Don't go that far. It might not have new enemies in terms of designs, but the levels are uniquely pathed, the enemies attack differently than the old versions did, and there are almost definitely going to be new bosses since not having new bosses would be taking the piss.

Yeah, it's like I've been saying since the beginning, it's not really Sonic 4, it's a Sonic gaiden.