A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

yea watching the shaky footage video, i have mixed thoughts. I've decided not to get my hopes up, after hearing dimps has a hold on this shit, I just don't know...They haven't gotten the formula right yet.

Though my only quip with the shaky cam footage, is that sonic isn't slow himself, he actually moves at a great pace, it's his animations themselves, they're fucking SLOW. They need to speed his animations up.

I agree with overbound

BTW Seems that SEGA doesnt understand anything.

They ignored completly the fans and didnt listened anyone.

If Endri is right, then the retarded Sonic cycle becomes true again with more power than ever. I hope that the weight of massive dissapoinment falls over sonic team/dimps head...

Anyways, better to wait for its release

Even with all my anger at Sega one really does have to step back and look at the hilarity in the situation. Sega almost got this game perfectly wrong in my eyes let me explains. These were my hopes and concerns when all we were going off was the needlemouse teaser trailer.

Things I wanted to see in this game:

*Original levels based on classic Sonic level types

*New original gimmicks

*New original badniks in classic style

*Classic physics

*Only Sonic, Knuckles and Tails playable

Things I did not want:

*The name Sonic 4

*Press right levels

*Reuse of old stuff (which is something I've been concerned about since the motobug came out)

*New Sonic look (thought its the least of my concerns)

I think a lot people here will agree with this list I made as their top wants and concerns about this game before much was known about it. Now lets look at what we have and don't have assuming Endri is correct.

*Sonic Rush physics

*Rehashed badniks

*Rehashed gimmicks

*New Sonic look

*Press Right levels

*Only Sonic playable (Knuckles and Tails would have been nice)

You see? Perfectly wrong!

To accept that is to accept as fact Sega's ultimate demise. You make it sound as if I should buy it anyway. I do not feel compelled to buy any products I consider poor quality or not to my liking so I won't. All I suggest is others do the same.

I'm saying for you to remotely care it exists is kind of ludicrous. it's almost guaranteed to be a shitty game, by a company who churns out shitty games. you'd think you would have taken the hint years ago. (and for the record, konami is getting there too, but atleast their stuff is playable and at the very least enjoyable one go-through.)

I'm saying for you to remotely care it exists is kind of ludicrous. it's almost guaranteed to be a shitty game, by a company who churns out shitty games. you'd think you would have taken the hint years ago. (and for the record, konami is getting there too, but atleast their stuff is playable and at the very least enjoyable one go-through.)

Its a Sonic forum duh! of course I care most of us here wanted this to be a good game. Obviously I know that its not going to be any good I said as much in my post. I'll just chalk it up to another point of view from Geona that makes no sense.

Honestly it puzzles me why you even come to these forums. I've never seen you make anything, all you do is trash talk people and now you're saying we shouldn't even like Sonic or care about the games. By your comments and your reputation I'd say its time you found somewhere else to spend your time and quit bothering us here.

Well, Emerald hill zone was a "press right" level... and everyone loves the game xD

Emerald Hill Zone is the FIRST level in Sonic 2. I can beat it in under 40 seconds. Yeah, they had the nerve to act like they're gonna followup the genesis titles with the name Sonic 4, and didn't even attempt to make the game anywhere close to the classics.

I really cant believe they did that. You can shit all over your franchise all you want, but please quit fucking over the ones actually worth something with horrible "RETURN TO ROOTS" campaigns and crap.

...you know what? I dont think i care anymore. I really don't. Sega isn't the only videogame company pissing me off anymore, its almost ALL of them. Its like nobody knows how to put any kind of soul into a videogame anymore. Even Nintendo is starting to anger me. (Mario Kart Wii was a lazy fucking attempt at a videogame, it was uglier and far less fun than Double Dash. And NSMB Wii felt less accomplished than Super Mario Bros. 3 did on the NES IMO.) If it isn't Galaxy or Zelda or Metroid, its just meh whatever. Dimps is an OKAY company, but the fact Sega would hand something like this over to them is just asinine.

Meh, screw Sega, i'd say videogames period are starting to die. But sega is like that company who keeps making horrible moves about videogames just to quickly sell out. Only pathetic difference is they do it with their own fucking franchises. Nintendo is slowly going down this hill too. They just have competent people working with them and know when not to cross the fucking line.

I agree with most of what you said Serephim except for Mario Kart Wii which I like much better than DD (which I did not like at all). Also New Super Mario Bros. Wii is good too. Is it as good as SMBW or SMB3 no, but there comes a point when a video game is just so good that no matter the quality of the sequel it can never stand up in comparison. Most of those titles are Nintendo games such as SM64 and Zelda:OOT.

Meh, screw Sega, i'd say videogames period are starting to die.

Video games are just getting more widespread. I'm guessing that the good-bad game ratio is pretty much the same as it always was. Of course, heaven forbid that we remember bad games from the '90s, the Golden Age of gaming, because only great games existed back then...

Except games like E.T. for the Atari, because those were so bad it was funny...

Seriously, go to any ROM site, head for the Genesis or SNES section and start downloading and playing every title alphabetically. Then tell me how many good games were among them.

As for Sonic 4, oh well, looks like it will suck. Same story as it was for the last 10 years.

I agree with most of what you said Serephim except for Mario Kart Wii which I like much better than DD (which I did not like at all). Also New Super Mario Bros. Wii is good too. Is it as good as SMBW or SMB3 no, but there comes a point when a video game is just so good that no matter the quality of the sequel it can never stand up in comparison. Most of those titles are Nintendo games such as SM64 and Zelda:OOT.

I personally thought both Wind Waker AND Twilight Princess were ages over OoT.

Yeah Wind Waker is probably my favorite Zelda game Twilight Princess not so much, I didn't care for the wolf parts and it really was too much like oot you know? But getting to the point I see where you are coming from but you know what I mean Its not TP or WW topping the best game of all time charts everyone has.

Did you even play Wind Waker?

I liked the game, but better than OoT? No.

It takes FOREVER to get any place, then you have to go on fetch quests to get Triforce piece maps and assloads of rupees to pay to have them deciphered.

Majora's Mask is definitely the best game in the series anyway.

Why so negative?

Sega officials have confirmed both Dimps AND Sonic Team (the latter including the chief level designer from Sonic 3nK) and in a private message to the guy who leaked the info RubyEclipse said the game still had a long way to go, and that was just a test copy.

Honestly I enjoyed Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance 3 (Never played 2, but 3 wasn't perfect) so this game won't be too bad to me.

I think the why so negative is obvious. What we have seen with our own two eyes is indicative of a modern 2D Sonic game and what we've heard from people who have played it is the same. We know Dimps is working on it and we know they are good at making ok games but have never made anything that could really resonate with people like the classic games did.

Besides, everything about this thing is just wrong. Four zones? One character? Rehashed level concepts? Thats not Sonic 4. Thats not Sonic 4 at all.

The whole idea behind episodic content is to produce smaller games more rapidly yes, but this is just stupid. You don't release a game that can be beaten in 25 minutes regardless of how episodic it is. That sort of thing flew back in the days of Marble Madness, but not anymore.

And 'won't be too bad' isn't anywhere near good enough for Sonic 4.

So supposedly they got the level designer from Sonic 3 working on this. I'm too lazy to check 55 pages to see if it's already posted, so fuck y'all I'm posting it anyways:

http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-3-level-designer-is-working-on-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-164382.phtml

I dunno where that guy's been for all these years, or if he's always been around and his work's gone downhill, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm still salty about the homing attack, though.

Opinions are ideas and like all ideas they either have to hold up against criticism or no one will take them seriously.

Agreed. Its not that we won't accept opinions that don't match out own, its just that we want to make sure that people have good reasons for thinking what they do. This is about the only forum I've ever found where people understand the value of an argument.

So supposedly they got the level designer from Sonic 3 working on this. I'm too lazy to check 55 pages to see if it's already posted, so fuck y'all I'm posting it anyways:

http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-3-level-designer-is-working-on-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-164382.phtml

I dunno where that guy's been for all these years, or if he's always been around and his work's gone downhill, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm still salty about the homing attack, though.

Interesting, for sure. Yet, having one guy who worked on the original series and a few series-loving developers in a mass of people who otherwise don't care.. I'm not sure it'll make too much of a difference.

Damn, even the level designer from Sonic 3? This is cool.

And i cant get the quote, but whoever said Twilight Princess was too much like OoT needs to replay both of the games again, SERIOUSLY. I can't believe people are still saying this about that game.

Twilight Princess did everything OoT did MULTIPLE times better than OoT. Its fire Dungeon was better, its Water dungeon was exponents better. Its bosses (and enemies and combat in general) were alot better, its graphics were better, its items were better, its immersion was better, its secrets were better, and its climax dungeons (Twilight world and Hyrule Castle) were far better. Not to mention the final boss kicked major fucking ass....the only thing OoT had on TP was MAYBE the Field music, because even though TP wasn't orchestrated, its music was far better too, specifically the boss battles. That, and Young Link was fun to run around with. Thats about it really.

I didn't feel any of OoT in TP, to tell you the truth. The game even from the beginning had an entirely different feel to it, and after Midna and the Twilight Relem jump into the story there really are no parallels you can draw between the flow of the game, save for the NAMES of the dungeons themselves and the usual Zelda shit you can compare between all of the games.

Did you even play Wind Waker?

I liked the game, but better than OoT? No.

It takes FOREVER to get any place, then you have to go on fetch quests to get Triforce piece maps and assloads of rupees to pay to have them deciphered.

Majora's Mask is definitely the best game in the series anyway.

Well i was one of the people who thoroughly enjoyed the sailing portions of the game. There was a GREAT feeling of exploration going through the uncovered portions of the map, and the map was pretty huge to begin with. It just was alot of fun to me. A bigger, "next-gen" version of the game would make me very happy. Wii sucks though, so i guess thats out of the question.

Majora's Mask? Egh...no, sorry. It definitely was the hardest and darkest/ most eerie of the lot, ill give you that, which was a good thing. But sorry, its the only Zelda game i couldn't push myself to finish. Definitely a fun game though.

edit: [/iMO]