A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

The problem is that they just can't fully commit. They're basically trying to make everyone happy, and yet its only causing even more destruction and headaches. They draw in the kids who know the green eyed tall sonic, and draw in the old school fans with the backdrop and style. Nice job remaking Sonic Advanced SEGA.

you never know what might happen. look what happened with resident evil 2, they remade it all when it was 80% done; sega may change their mind.

but srsly you guys... you're all so bitchy! when unleashed came out, you all were saying "pshh, unleashed would have been amazing if it were just the 2D stages alone!" etc.

you now have the promise of that, or at least something close to it and now you're all saying "well, they could have appealed to us hardcore fans by not having the homing attack and using sonic's old design!"

get over yourselves, sega don't care about you THAT much.

just try and be happy that there could be a nice new sonic game coming soon.

I showed my nephew the Sonic 4 teaser and he basically said "Is it 2D?" "It's 3D but it plays like the 2D games." "That's crap, I want more 3D, I liked Sonic Unleashed."

So, basically, the newer Sonic fans don't give two fucks about oldschool Sonic.

It's more like the new generation gamers likes 3D over 2D. I'd say anyone who's at least like 5 or 6 by the time Playstation game out.

It's like when they see 3D, it instantly cool. However, if they learn how it's really done, then they might have a different view. You can't 'recolor' a 3D model or change a hair an expect it to look 'cool'.

Because it is in his nature, young Tentril. You might not remember this, but when Sonic Advanced 3 was out, he made elaborate hoaxes to trick our community by posting fake underwater city levels.

holy fock! as if you remember that, I'm touched! :D

i ain't trollin', i just don't want to bash this game just yet.

there's not enough love in this thread.

I showed my nephew the Sonic 4 teaser and he basically said "Is it 2D?" "It's 3D but it plays like the 2D games." "That's crap, I want more 3D, I liked Sonic Unleashed."

My cousin grew up playing games like Sonic Adventure 2, and I didn't even get into Sonic games around Sonic Adventure/Sonic Advance.

Both of us prefer the Genesis games. :V

Because it is in his nature, young Tentril. You might not remember this, but when Sonic Advanced 3 was out, he made elaborate hoaxes to trick our community by posting fake underwater city levels.
That's amazing. I'd love to see such a thing. :(

also

1265519915297.jpg

Unleashed sucked. all you had to do was boost, jump, lightdash and press what ever popped up.

I know a good way we can end this war...3D can keep sonic and 2D will use Mighty!

I wished sonic 4 had multilayer player... I really missed co-op and racing with my little friends that at least know who he is. well guess ill just have project mettrix on wii.

holy fock! as if you remember that, I'm touched! :D

i ain't trollin', i just don't want to bash this game just yet.

there's not enough love in this thread.

We should have a Sonic 4 haters thread and a Sonic 4 optimists thread so that the people who are actually interested in the game can get a word in without being shot down.

As if "This game sucks, I hate Sega, I hate you!" is a discussion. It's plagued every game thread since Heroes to where they become impossible to actually discuss the game, but instead by a place to make your eyes bleed by reading the same regurgitated shit we've all read on every forum in the world a million times over.

I mean, god damn. Sega takes a major step up in every department and you all still find a way to bitch and moan. Oh, Sonic's running animation isn't the right one. Oh, they've showed old badniks instead of new ones (so far), and even to the point of complaining that the fucking parallax looks weird. You asked for 2D gameplay, you got it. You asked for more creative, non egg-pawn enemies, you got it. You asked for more colorful, oldschool levels, you got it. You asked for no more stupid new characters, you got it. You asked for a simpler storyline, old-school gameplay, I could go on and on, and it's still not good enough.

• Like 1

As if "This game sucks, I hate Sega, I hate you!" is a discussion. It's plagued every game thread since Heroes to where they become impossible to actually discuss the game, but instead by a place to make your eyes bleed by reading the same regurgitated shit we've all read on every forum in the world a million times over.

I mean, god damn. Sega takes a major step up in every department and you all still find a way to bitch and moan. Oh, Sonic's running animation isn't the right one. Oh, they've showed old badniks instead of new ones (so far), and even to the point of complaining that the fucking parallax looks weird. You asked for 2D gameplay, you got it. You asked for more creative, non egg-pawn enemies, you got it. You asked for more colorful, oldschool levels, you got it. You asked for no more stupid new characters, you got it. You asked for a simpler storyline, old-school gameplay, I could go on and on, and it's still not good enough.

I'm with Spike on this one.

I'm against him. People say plenty besides the negative and few people just out and out say "the game sucks"... especially around here.

Also, thats a tired as hell argument. People haven't been asking for 2D gameplay, we've had it again since Sonic Advance. The bit about more creative enemies is a horrible horrible joke of a statement and no amount of attaching egg-pawn to it can vindicate it. Color oldschool levels? Sonic Heroes. No more stupid new characters? Only the stupid people ever made a big deal out of characters, something I've been adamant to state over and over and over again. Simple storyline? Not important. Old-school gameplay? So far, there is no indication of that being there. I could go on and on, and it's still not going to change the amount of words being put into people's mouths.

The desires of the community for what should go into a Sonic game are too complicated to be put into simple terms like this. We all know that. If it were that simple, there would never have been a 16 year envelope for making something that wows people. And thats what we need in a Sonic game. To be wowed. And it's very hard to describe what wows you. Generally thats because the predictable is incapable of doing that.

It worked with Mega Man 9, not because of the simplification or the old school graphics, but because it was completely authentic in both gameplay and in the fact that it had almost 100% new content.

I absolutely never said this game would suck. I'm just not going to expect it to be a return to oldschool Sonic when they've promised that forever and never did it. Just because there are a few of us that aren't super excited from the two seconds of footage we've seen, doesn't mean we're just bitching for the sake of being pessimistic about Sonic.

I still like Sega and Sonic btw. Your post sounds like you see negative comments and just ignore that person's opinions.

EDIT: I think your parallax comment is fine. What else do we really have to go on?