A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

I'm pretty sure the site read PSN XBLA, and WiiWare, Aerosol. Along with some other platform.

ANyone notice the mention of HOMING ATTACK?! WTH? On top of that there is another character slot on their site. it could just be eggman, but it could also be tails and knuckles, OR some other new character. (OR maybe its SHADOW..lololololol) SEGA still hasn't shown enough to actually help me make a decision on this one. :\

I said PSN and such so...what's your point exactly?

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/sonic-4-trailer-10-things-no-normal-person-would-spot/a-20100204123329329054

This guy is more critical than I am. But he's got good points. Sonic's head is huuuuuuuuuuge. And yea, homing attack in a 2D game is cruise control.

hahah now come on now. The big rings complaint I agree with, but Sonic's head has always been big

I think everyone who's been in the fangaming has found out for themselves that homing attack is absolutely useless in 2D Sonic gameplay. Like Overbound said, the only thing they're going to do with it is make Sonic bounce from enemy to enemy.

I wanted a Mega Man 9 rebirth of the Sonic series. Calling this Sonic 4 is just bastardizing the genesis era.

Calling this Sonic 4 is just bastardizing the genesis era.

What makes you say that? It may have a new age feel to it, but it's looking good. Sidescrolling gameplay that doesn't appear to be "jesus-christ-fast" like Advance or Rush, an actual variety of badniks, oldschool gimmicks and level design, only Sonic playable, and Robotnik as the bosses, and that's a pretty gorgeous first level they showed.

I wanted a Mega Man 9 rebirth of the Sonic series. Calling this Sonic 4 is just bastardizing the genesis era.

I don't agree with this. Mega Man 7 & 8 had "advanced" graphics, and they weren't really bastardizing the NES era. I would have preferred hand-drawn HD sprites to this, but it's not an eye sore.

I still remember when people bitched at the change of art direction Megaman 9 took. "Why didn't they do it in SNES style? Why didn't they make it look better for a NES game? This is totally shitting on the classic Megaman series." And now there's people getting worked up over Megaman 10 for arbitrary reasons. Point is, people are bitching - and have bitched, and will continue to bitch - over the most pointless things (bawwww running animation, bawwww 3D graphics, bawwww larger-than-usual rings). Yeah, Sonic games have been given the shaft for a while now, we all know that. And SEGA's always talked about the series going back to its roots and then adding weird shit like talking swords and werehogs. But they're crossing a line by calling this Sonic FOUR, and that says to me they've got something big to back up the size of their balls on this one. If we get a decent gameplay trailer, and people come back saying it's shit, then fair enough - it seems very plausible. But even I think it's way too early to judge this one.

I'm just saying, cautious optimism.

The thing is, Sonic's had a shitload of reboots. The only thing that's changed is that they've thrown their stake in the ground with the number 4. But as far as I'm concerned, apart from SegaWOW, Sega hasn't developed a good game in a long time. They're putting all their chips in, especially with their retarded hype machine, so if they fuck up, a lot of people will ditch him for good.

EDIT: Also, the difference between this and MM9 is that MM9 tries to be an actual, genuine NES game, and strips away the bells and whistles until you had Mega Man in his most basic form. The presentation and core gameplay were a statement: "all that stuff from the 90's onward? Never happened. This is old Mega Man made new". Sonic 4 has 3D Sonic that doesn't really look all that cool, and the new style, and possibly crap from newer Sonic games. Sure, they took out Fart the Poopshit and Dick the Dingdong, but they haven't fully committed to making a "New Old Sonic".

And again, short devtime. Unleashed was a little over a year ago (around Black Knight's release, no less). This is coming out in the summer. That's not a whole lot of time, and given how glitchy Sega games tend to be, they could definitely use more time.

What makes you say that? It may have a new age feel to it, but it's looking good. Sidescrolling gameplay that doesn't appear to be "jesus-christ-fast" like Advance or Rush, an actual variety of badniks, oldschool gimmicks and level design, only Sonic playable, and Robotnik as the bosses, and that's a pretty gorgeous first level they showed.

Sonic being the only playable character makes it more of a Sonic 1 than a Sonic 4. And 'oldschool gimmicks' might be taking it too literally if you are into the whole idea that sequels are supposed to... you know, add to their predecessors. And we've now seen like 4 recycled badniks. That's more than enough to cover a whole zone going by traditional standards.

So far nothing about this is Sonic 4. It's more of a Sonic Megadrive Gaiden.

Notice how Mega Man 9 did it. They didn't take a bunch of old shit and tried to make it look new, they took a bunch of new shit and tried to make it look old. I'm not saying you have to do it that way... but if this were a Genesis game with Genesis graphics and they were reusing content like this, it wouldn't have been a hit.

I said PSN and such so...what's your point exactly?

I must of misread your post...I could of swore you sounded angry that it wasn't going to be on the PSN.

I really like this graphical style honestly, I just wish I had more to judge. The fusion of old and new concepts looks nice. Now its not a genesis title, but being made over a dozen years later, I would expect a bit more then a genesis title.

Its honestly not much diferent then what new super Mario bros was. (new graphics style, same basic gameplay, and "new" wiimote based powerups.)

Compare that to this title (new graphics style, same basic gameplay, and some of the "new" abilities that will get the younger generation interested)

I think the graphics are hideous. Each layer of parallax looks paper thin, the colors in the background are extremely similar and everything looks dead rather than vibrant and colorful. I really hope they do something to fix this.

Also I like how they hyped a midnight release for two seconds of footage surrounded by filler on both sides.

wow. Sega is so bad at surprising me now that it surprises myself.

1.) (and i sware to god this is true), i knew they were going to do something like name this game Sonic 4. I just felt it coming from the moment they pulled the name "needlemouse" out their asses.

2.) That said...Sonic 4? With ONLY sonic the hedgehog? Ubnormous failure. Thats a downgrade from both Sonic 3 & Sonic and Knuckles as separate entities. Seriously.

3.) When they said 2D HD game, i got excited. That badly animated sonic model disappoints me.

at least the backgrounds are pretty. Lets just hope we are downloading Sonic 4 and not Sonic Rush 3.

This is hilarious. I, for one, don't think the model looks too bad. Granted, I'd prefer 2D HD graphics, but it's no biggie. As far as the parallax layers- they're clearly paper thin on purpose. The rings however, are incredibly large. Having only Sonic playable is, indeed, kind of idiotic and crappy. I think the homing attack idea is pretty stupid.