A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How old are you?

Twimfy

I'm just interested to know the general ages of the people on this board. People freaked out when they found out I was 22 last year (now 23).

There seems to be so many debates on the board about the age of gamers and there is clearly a divide between those who love the original games and those who love all of this new Sonic Advance-y crap.

So how many of you were truly around in the beginning?

I was 3 years old when I first played Sonic (Sonic 1 for the SMS, 1992), and I managed to beat a good deal of the game at the age of 4, so you could say I was there 'from the beginning', although I only played the main titles, none of the spin-offs (Sonic Drift and the like).

And I am currently 19 years old (20 in May)

And I am currently 19 years old (20 in May)

O_O Doppleganger!

I started gaming when I was at least 3 through 4 and I've worked my way up starting from playing street fighter II with my dad in his room late at night, to owning at least 9-10 systems.

Born on the month Sonic 1 came out =P. So in a sense I've been with him since the beginning. =P

First time I've played Sonic was when I was four, when I got Sonic 2 for Christmas, and I've loved the blue guy ever since.

I'm 17 (18 in June). Ha ha ha so is Sonic too ^_^

-Amesuki

I'm 17, turning 18 in May. I played sonic a couple times in the 90s, but never owned a Genesis or anything. I always thought Sonic was cool though; I used to watch the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on TV. The first Sonic game I really got into was Sonic Adventure, so I guess I was introduced to the new Sonic first. I bought Sonic Pocket Adventure for the Neo Geo Pocket Color though, and that game was pretty much a combination of the three major genesis titles, and I later got Sonic and Knuckles Collection for the PC, where I further fell in love with retro styled Sonic.

I liked Sonic Adventure, Adventure 2, Advance, Battle, and even Heroes (to an extent), but Sonic Advance 2 was where things started to go downhill for me. I didn't like the emphasis on speed and abundance of poorly placed bottomless pits. Advance 3 only redeemed it a little. The Rush series was better than Advance 2 and 3, but it still used the same flawed gameplay formula (imo) and I couldn't like it. I haven't even played any of the 3D games after Heroes.

edit: Actually, I played Sonic 06 this summer at a friend's house. What an abomination it was.

I'm 17, turning 18 in May. I played sonic a couple times in the 90s, but never owned a Genesis or anything. I always thought Sonic was cool though; I used to watch the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on TV.

Same here, just that i turn 18 in september. The first time i started playing sonic seriously was when a friend lent me the sonic collection for PC a couple of years ago (and i still didn't return it LOL) I love the old school games, and i didnt really like the adventure games, maybe because i didnt really played them back in the day.

and I later got Sonic and Knuckles Collection for the PC, where I further fell in love with retro styled Sonic.

^ This. However I got it from the Genesis games, playing them so much my Sonic 3 literally glitched up and stopped working. Sonic and Knuckles is holding on by a thread but messes up randomly. (All my old time games are downstairs in a box collecting dust and I have quite a lot.)

As for Sonic and Knuckles Collection, I played the hell out of that on my first computer, but sadly I lost it when I went to visit my dad. =( The music was different in it but I didn't care much... except for the Sonic 3 mid-boss song; That song you don't mess with dammit.

I liked the changed music, even if some weren't as good as the originals (I looooved the new Carnival Night)

I could never get the game to run properly on any machine for some reason. It always ran a little bit fast. The special stages were impossible. I couldn't beat them until I played Mega Collection.

I'm 15 right now. I started with Sonic (Sonic 3 first) when I was about 3 years old, with my ol' Megadrive and my Genesis. Both still work 'till today!

Sonic 3 was the first videogame I ever played. Other classics I always played back then include Streets of Rage 2 (so much fun with a friend), Mortal Kombat, Gunstar Heroes and Lethal Enforcers.

I'm 17. My first Sonic game was Sonic R for the PC >_>...but I did watch some of the older Sonic cartoons when I was younger. Since Sonic R had basically no story, I looked up the characters and such on the internets and thus was introduced to the blue blur.

Then I found Sonic and Knuckles Collection for the PC, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles quickly became my favorite game of all time. And when I got my Dreamcast, I played the hell out of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, though it wasn't until their Gamecube rereleases that I got all emblems for both games. Good times.

I liked the changed music, even if some weren't as good as the originals (I looooved the new Carnival Night)

I could never get the game to run properly on any machine for some reason. It always ran a little bit fast. The special stages were impossible. I couldn't beat them until I played Mega Collection.

I should try that, because I still can't beat those stages to this day. :D

18. Started playing Sonic at the age of 5. From 8-12 years old I was a Crash fan, but then returned to Sonic fandom at the age of 13 just immediately purchasing a GCN, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Mega Collection, and later, all of the other Sonic games for GC, DS, and Xbox 360 as of now. *Wishes lock-on games could be re-released on Xbox 360.* I spend most of my time *playing Sonic games* on an emulator playing Sonics 1-3&K, but mostly 3&K because 3&K fucking rocks.

Anyone who saw my birthday topic the other week will know I'm 27 now. Back in the day when Sonic was new, my first experiences were with the Game Gear and Master System versions of Sonic 1, and I was hooked immediately. Then my brother got a Mega Drive with Sonic 1, the system was naff, he sent it back and got another one, but having to play the game with rapidly flickering colours didn't stop me from constantly asking "can I play on your Mega Drive?". Then when Sonic 2 came out we had to play it on a TV with no sound, but I was still so excited by the game I lost sleep over it. Then my brother decided to get a SNES, I got my own Mega Drive and played the hell out of the Sonic games from that point on.

Now I'm feeling old, I need someone older than me to post in here, where's good ol' Smidge when you need him?!

14, 15 in august. I started with Sonic in around the age of 10(yeah,I'm late :P) First game: Sonic Heroes. (began to dislike it a few days later. Got the sense for Classic retro ever since)