A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

Very, very nice demo. The graphics are nice and the parallax background worked well - the whole thing was very tidy and polished.

Feels very much like an old genesis game to play, you can tell alot of effort has gone into replicating the feel.

My only gripe would be the camera movement feels a bit too 'mechanical' for me. It moves forward like the classic games, but it moves to the position too fast IMO, and should be a 'smoother' transition (if you get me).

But seriously impressive work - it's very tight, can't wait to see moooar :D

That was Sonic CD. Personally, my call would be to get rid of it and make it more like Sonic 2... but it's not my call.

Sonic 2 did the same thing. The only game in which the air speed cap was actually removed was in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I also applied the same behavior to Megamix, which is why it's much easier to gain speed in that game.

I still say Sonic's speed feels a tad slow.

I still say you make worthless, one-sentence posts that are absolutely stupid:

Must be. Right after playing Sonic Faded Hour, I just expected Sonic to be as fast as Sonic is in Fated Hour.

I'm just going to ignore everything that you say from now on.

Tax used the numbers from the Genesis games. They're exactly the same...he'll whip them out if it'll get you to stop talking.

How far do you guys intend to go when it comes to character 'individuality'? That is, do you intend to add Sonic, Tails and Knuckles playable in the same levels, playable in the same levels with paths only individual characters can access, slight variation in levels (Like Knuckles not having Death Egg and Doomsday Zone in S3&K), or completely different levels for each character (although the last one would be really time consuming...). DW confirmed earlier on that all 3 characters would be present, but I haven't seen on 'brakeable Knuckles wall' in this stage.

Short answer is we aren't going to do a damn thing to differentiate the paths. The game is built around Sonic. Everything else is just bonus. Might seem like a bit of a copout, and I'll agree to an extent, but our goal is to create as complete a Sonic experience as possible rather than to spend time on making the other characters have a unique experience involved with them. That said, my own personal goal is for each character to have at least one thing new that they can do.

That said, there will be ways to make each play through a unique one... and I'll discuss that with a slight demonstration in the next build, currently planned for the end of the month which will include the first boss fight.

I thought the different paths in S3&K was the most kickass part of the game... The most cool level is Marble Garden, where you get a different boss with Knuckles.

Also I used to spend hours playing with Sonic in Knuckles paths with the debug mode, oh good times [nostalgia off, back on topic]

I never did like different paths.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean I cannot imagine why anyone would want a more detailed game with multiple paths for expanded replay value that just sounds lame.

Hey Nexus team is that Sonic sprite your using finalize or do you plan to switch it to a more custom one or the one from Sonic CD or Sonic 3&K just kinda wondering.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean I cannot imagine why anyone would want a more detailed game with multiple paths for expanded replay value that just sounds lame.

Hi5 for the AzuBurn. That was well deserved.

Hey Nexus team is that Sonic sprite your using finalize or do you plan to switch it to a more custom one or the one from Sonic CD or Sonic 3&K just kinda wondering.

Sonic's sprites are final. He's nice, fluid, and functional. I'd like to move on to implementing the other characters and putting more levels in now. The less I have to step backwards, the better. It has been 3 years running and I want to start actually making all the levels, as opposed to making one, then waiting a year for a new engine, then making another one. We're at a point where I can do that now, so I am rather excited to start. Everybody's favorite water level is coming next.