A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

I draw pretty much 99% of my stuff in SAI, and sometimes use Photoshop for things I can't use SAI for (like text and just some correctional stuff). Thanks!

Anyway, I sometimes go back and try to re-record this song as a warmup. The drums/bass/vocals are all from the band themselves off the 'guitar villain' edition of their CD "III" but the guitar is all mine. I'm just not getting the tone I want outta my guitar lately.

http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/devil-on-my-shoulder-guitar-villain-cover-2

And a couple other really early barebones quick ideas:

http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/funky

http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/sawblades-and-wire

"Funky" started out as a component to Sawblades and Wire but it really didn't fit so I played the riff a bit faster and made a new track out of it. Both are really early so they don't really flow all too well (and the playing is not that good).

I like your guitar tone a lot better in the first one much better than the next two; too much treble in those ones.

I really like the chord progression in "funky"; there's a lot of potential there.

What are you putting your guitar through atm? Mic'd amp, modeller or VST?

Yeah the tone in the next two was only that way because I was just trying to figure things out, not really happy with the tone in it either.

I do have a mixing board which I usually just go from the amp to the board to the computer, but I've found I get a better result using my mic on the amp to the board to the computer instead. The ones there were just through the amp to the board though, which I've got a cord thats kind of cutting out on me now that I need to replace. Even then I get better, fuller sounds just from using a mic on the amp.

Ahhh right. What mic are you using? If you don't already have one I'd advise picking up a second hand SM57 and a wee stand as that's going to provide the most natural sound for your mix ;)

If you're DI-ing your amp though, you can run the signal through an amp/cab simulator VST such as FreeAmp which will smoothly take off some of the treble and fatten up the overall sound.

I have a sennheiser e840. I don't have many examples of things I've recorded with it actually up though. The only one I used it on for some parts is : this track and I guess this since it was an acoustic guitar I guess this since it was an acoustic guitar

Neither track is 100% done, I wanna tweak some things. That and I need to add some bass to the acoustic track.

For using something like free amp would I set my amp to 'clean' with no distortion or anything and then in freeamp mess with the settings in there?

heyy I have that mic! it was a christmas present from many moons ago; it is a stage vocal mic though, so it won't handle the signal the same way an SM57 or other dynamic/small diaphragm condenser mic would.

I'm not sure how freeamp works, but you can use a distorted signal and use the cabinet modelling features of the vst in order to give it that mic'd sound.

You could also try buying a POD or V-Amp and bypass the whole mic/DI thing altogether :P

I have a Marshall TSL-60 sitting under a bed somewhere and I feel like I'm cheating on it every time I go for the whore-like conveniece of my POD :P

So uhm. I like Mischief Makers.

Haven't played it in a long long long time though and its really hard to play on the keyboard with an emulator. But something kind of clicked in my head that made me go "I want to make an update to Mischief Makers". So I sat down and spent a few minutes starting on this project and all I've got are a couple loose sketches for now.

Marina.jpg

ClancerStuff.jpg

Wanna try and keep the anime look of the original but the original art style would just look super horrid in 3D. Plus I want to put my own flair on this. So I haven't stuck 100% to the original design, and like I said these are kind of first go, but I also don't want to deviate too much.

Of course, the most I can do for now really is just make 3D models and go absolutely nowhere with this, but if I do get pretty far in the modeling phase (not sure when I'll start the 3D aspect of it) I'd really like to start turning it into a short remake of a single level or something.

Thanks dude, I'm actually kinda pumped to make this a pet project throughout the year. What I'd really love to do is scrape something amazing together and possibly pitch it, but that's just a bunch of dreaming. For now I just need something to keep my 3D skills sharpened, and so this will do.

Lava Reef

So a while ago I had concieved a Lava Reef remix/arrangement thing and never finished it. But I decided to finish it off/change things/re-record things last minute (last night basically) for the Sonic Stadium Music Album project. This is the result, the playing is not the best because like I said - last minute. But it still sounds a helluva lot better than the original version. You can listen to the original demo on the page, its very crappy haha.

I was going to add a solo and whatever to it too but nothing worked and I couldn't get a good solo tone so I scrapped it.

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Just a quickie from today, decided to enter a cover for the album too. Ignore the '39 tracks' part, I'll update that when I get to a final number. But at the moment that is how many tracks there are from a lot of different people.

A bunch of demos

Stuff I forgot I had, tumblr post has the explanation of how these ended up on the net lol. Still funny to me that I simply forgot I made some of these. There were more too but they sucked so I didn't use them, but it was weird opening up these project files with silly names and going: "Wait...what"

And again, here is Lava Reef: http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/lava-reef-sonic-and-knuckles

And I changed some things to my Competition Menu remix: http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/competition-redux-sonic-3

Went from concept to completion in 2 hours last night when I couldn't sleep so its not really too complex and I still need to tweak the sound.

http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/atomic?from=embed

Been listening to a lot of Naveed era Our Lady Peace lately so its kind of rubbing off a tiny bit. Most of this album so far has had a lot of that kind of influence on it really though.

The halftones were generated sometimes in Photoshop and overlayed over the image, and then other times I've taken halftones out of photoshop and used them as textures in SAI, since you can assign textures to layers. I usually do the second way if I don't need to go into PS for text or anything since its one less program to open.

Doing a daily draw on another forum, and I happened to start late so...uhh, I have catching up to do. And the easiest thing for me to think to draw in such an occasion is fanart. So here is the rare moment where I draw a shit ton of fanart.

Zero.jpg

A crappy sketch of Zero, kinda of went halfway between old and new but it turned out like poop!

Sonic-3.jpg

Sonic

And then I started warming up some and kinda experimented a tiny bit:

Zero2.jpg

ZERO (again)

Leviathan.jpg

Leviathan because Leviathan is the best. Also I realize I accidentally signed it with a '11 rather than a '12, OOPS. I can't believe I am -still- doing that...

Aile-2.jpg

MEGALIGHT.jpg

Based Mega off the Megaman MMO trailer design!

MegaGirl.jpg

I am not gonna lie I just started drawing Megaman and then decided "lets add boobs" and so the drawing went in this direction instead lol.

Maybe I'll make Megaman my theme. Of course the pictures will be more involved than these, but I wanted to catch up!! NOW I HAVE. NOW I AM READY TO TACKLE DAY 8.

http://satellitesoda.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5549