A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

Edit: I did listen to your music finally. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was good. I dig the boss theme you posted. It reminds me of the samurai levels on the Ninja Turtles arcade games.

Thank you!! Glad you like it. I am curious though, what were you expecting :3? I've never really had anyone have an expectation of what music I made before so I am just kinda curious as to what sort of vibe I give off compared to what I actually ended up making haha.

edit:

started a new demo track: https://soundcloud.com/batteryknife/ruinsiv-demo

And also sketched a thing IDK:

tumblr_mkd9p6gPKt1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

Been playing loads of Disgaea 3 and 4 lately (wanna beat 'em both!) and sorta felt like drawing something inspired by that style and it kinda just turned into that.

Thanks man! I probably will ink and redo the colours on that at some point. Glad you see the Harada vibes in there, I love his art. Excited for the art book UDON is putting out of his stuff - I have the DISGAEArt!!! (that's actually the title ! included haha) book proudly on my shelf.

Thank you!! Glad you like it. I am curious though, what were you expecting :3? I've never really had anyone have an expectation of what music I made before so I am just kinda curious as to what sort of vibe I give off compared to what I actually ended up making haha.

What I was originally thinking was some sort of rock and electronic music; something almost reminiscent of the PlayStation Mega Man X trilogy soundtracks. That's the kind of music that hits me based on your art. I like chip stuff too though, so I wasn't upset that I was off the mark. :)

Actually I did at some point kinda tinker with music like that! I've kinda run the gamut a little here and there. My soundcloud has some older electronic/rock stuff and my old bandcamp has a loooot more, as well as some straight up rock. I used to do some ska-punk esque stuff a loooong time ago and other shitty punk/rock music back in my teens haha.

Been wanting to delve into using my guitar again though, but I am not much of a shredder. I kinda base my guitar playing style off this band when I do play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMWuyyXgQgo

Thanks I think haha.

Also I forgot this:

4104330573-1.jpg

ASTRIS OF THE STARS I

_

"Far away in space a girl awakens from the starflower on a small moon called Supernova. The townspeople on Supernova start experiencing problems when the starflower blooms and Astris helps them out. But there is a strange presence calling her from the ruins outside of the town which is believed to be the source of all the strange occurrences... "_

This is part one in what will hopefully be a collection of more tracks to define the sound of this fictional platformer idea I have in my head._

Included are two bonus tracks from a different action-platformer idea called Batshit Unicorn.

_

1. Nimako Jingle

2. The Starflower - "Bloom"

3. Supernova- "The Passage"

4. Supernova - "Peaceful Life - Town Theme"

5. Malus Ruins I - "Prelude"

6. Malus Ruins II - "Adventure"

7. [bonus] Batshit Unicorn - "Ascend"

8. [bonus] Batshit Unicorn - "Sunset"

_

It's free/pay what you want. And just as a reminder I have a couple other tracks I've posted before in the works for pt.2. Only one finished is the boss theme:

Ruins III

Ruins IV

Boss Theme

• 2 weeks later...
Actually I did at some point kinda tinker with music like that! I've kinda run the gamut a little here and there. My soundcloud has some older electronic/rock stuff and my old bandcamp has a loooot more, as well as some straight up rock. I used to do some ska-punk esque stuff a loooong time ago and other shitty punk/rock music back in my teens haha.

Been wanting to delve into using my guitar again though, but I am not much of a shredder. I kinda base my guitar playing style off this band when I do play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMWuyyXgQgo

I didn't have a lot of time to listen to some of your older songs on SoundCloud, but I did listen to Phantom and Clear Skies and they're closer to what I was expecting. Phantom more so. What were you using for guitar tones? They would probably sound better with a little bit of tweaking. Lord knows they're better than my old tones. Haha.

You don't really need to shred, especially in music like this. It's nice to have some power chords as some fill-in or some basic leads. I think we all dealt with a shitty punk phase in our teens. :P

Also I forgot this... It's free/pay what you want.

I'll probably pick this up later. Thanks!

I was using my amp plugged into a usb mixing board thing I got. But back then I wasn't really good at mixing and stuff. The thing was I basically just used to crank up the treble a lot on my guitar (and a lot of my old tracks lack bass too). I've got new presets on my amp that are better now, they sound more full. I just haven't had a chance to put them to use because its rare I make a more rock oriented track even though I've been working on 3 or 4 different song ideas right now with my guitar.

The latest rock tracks I have are Explode and Atomic which I believe are from 2011.

Been playing loads of Disgaea 3 and 4 lately (wanna beat 'em both!) and sorta felt like drawing something inspired by that style and it kinda just turned into that.

Man, i own disgaea 2 and want to play 3 and 4 on PS3, but refuse to touch them because i have yet to get 1. And Laharl is the reason I originally was interested in Disgaea.

Just no time to play anything anymore : /

Definitely play 3 and especially 4. 4 has to be my fave. Though I also cannot wait for Disgaea D2 (Etna yay).

bdb_logo_wip__303948440__by_endshark-d63ok09.jpg

logo wips, gonna tweak 4 now and call it a day very soon-ish.

scan_by_endshark-d64a2dr.jpg

copypaste from DA/Tumblr:

"Drawn on 11x17 paper with a mechanical pencil, this isn’t the full drawing either btw. My scanner can’t fit it all on there. It cut off a lot on the top (not that there is anything there at the moment), a bit on the bottom, and both the left and the right got snipped off a bit. I want to add in a background too. So I’ll do a better scan whenever I finish it off.I think the image when done would be a cool cover.

Took way too long for me to do because I’m feeling pretty sick atm (nothing new there) and I decided not to really attempt spot blacks with it because of that. It’s not a perfect drawing but w/e, good enough for how well I can think straight at the moment"

Oh hai just dropping by to say your artwork and music is rather smashing.

Even if I do find some of your character designs to be a little cluttered at points, you seem to have a wonderful grasp on everything you do, whether it be backgrounds, pencils, inks, colors, etc. I'm still blown away at how you people can make mechanical pencil lead look like inkwork, without the grit and the smears and such. :B

(Needs to post something here that isn't old)

Thank you :)! Glad you dig my art and my music.

Also as per the mechanical pencil looking super clean thing, I admit some of that is cleaned up digitally in photoshop. It only takes about a minute to do but in order to get it to look black I use the curves function in photoshop. The original scan (on my shitty scanner) looks like this:

ex_by_endshark-d64cwrk.jpg

But by using the curves I can get rid of the smudges and leave the linework + make it nice and black. So its a quick digital touchup. -Normally- I do not have nearly as much pencil smudging going on because I'd draw with a red or blue pencil underneath first and then 'ink' overtop with a mechanical pencil. But I don't have anymore col-erase pencils left so I just used a mechanical pencil the entire way through with crappy erasers. Which led to a lot of erasing and a lot of smudging haha.

Aha, a fellow col-erase pencil user! Sadly, all of my essential colors are becoming scarce as well, so I'm using 2/4/6H pencils in the meantime. My mechanical pencil normally only sees any action if I've forgotten those, but I might start kicking that habit alongside using my B pencils, lol.

I'll have to keep that curves function in mind; My copy of Photoshop Elements may or may not contain it, though if it does, it'd be good for keeping my lighter inks and pencils clean and darkened like I want them!

2B is my favourite pencil type, sadly I do not have any of those though I'd rather find some 2B lead to use in a mechanical pencil anyway. Saves from having loads of shavings, but on the con side of that there are tons of broken lead. I think right now I am using an HB lead type that just came with the mechanical pencils but its rare I draw on paper much anymore anyway haha.

I'm the opposite concerning mediums actually: Drawing on a tablet frustrates me quite a bit, as opposed to the relative assurity I have in drawing with with pencils and the like. That being said, the layer function sure would be handy for us traditional guys. :B Of course, I'll likely be using my tablet a lot more in college, given my classes of choice and the relative freedom in contrast to home and etc.

I have a shitton more 2H's than I originally expected; in fact, I have about like...5 lying around maybe? :o And don't get me started on aaaaaaaaall my ink brushes and pens, crappy as I may be with them.

Don't get me wrong, I like drawing on paper, but I find with how much I do draw I save a ton of money and space by doing it all on the computer (not to mention the workflow for me is infinitely faster). I think too that I tend to not have too much of a drastic difference in the way I draw on paper and on the computer that it makes more sense to me to keep it primarily digital. But being able to draw wherever I want is great too, which is why I just crashed on the couch and started drawing that picture.

• 1 month later...

Thanks man, I really do love the aesthetics of Twilight Princess (mainly in the twilight realm and the designs relating to it). Just bringing it up makes me want to beat the game again actually for like the 5th or 6th time. The characters and were made by my friend and I really like them.