A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

God damn dude, you're talented!

Thanks dude!

Your characters have so much....character lol

It makes looking at your shit so fun. How are the comic progress coming along?

Haha thanks man :). The comic stuff is going a tiny bit slow at the moment, loaded with extra work hours but I am lessening them mid-september so I can focus more on art. Still chipping away though!

Surprise Surprise

I decided I was going to try and figure out the new Billy Talent song, I'm a good 80% of the way there really to figuring it all out. So I decided to do a quick recording overtop - it's rife with mistakes but I haven't really played my guitar in a while since I've been too busy. I'd love to start making more music tracks again though really - rediscover some rock. As much fun as I have making electronic music at the same time right now I'm in a pretty stressful point in my life and I think I really need to make something to get that out. I bumped my guitar up to drown a lot of everything else so you hear more of my playing than the actual guitar track.

Anyway. Yeah, also was testing out to make sure a new guitar cord I got worked and it did.

Song is "Surprise, Surprise" by Billy Talent.

• 4 months later...

Sure this is a crosspost from elsewhere but w/e haha:

Figured I'd tag it as misc as right now I don't have much done in the way of a game per say...but I have been working on elements for one!!

Only one piece of concept art for now:

tumblr_mh0vfvdKMV1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

YES the name of the 'game' is Batshit Unicorn.

Character’s name is Batshit Unicorn too, she uses a bat and has a horn. Her bat repels enemy attacks/can smash enemies and she can also shoot and boost and roll and all kinds of good stuff. She’d also get a wing attachment with big laser hands for a sidescroller shoot-em-up style play ‘cause I like those types of games too. She is a catgirl too because why not.

Basically it'd take elements I like from Megaman and infuse it with other games I like/enjoy a lot (such as Sonic and Vanquish). I figure it'd be a very arcade-y experience that moves at a fast pace and while it will have a story, I don't think I'd cram in any more than about 2 hours or less of content. Reason being is I am new to this, and I'd rather focus on building a few solid and fast paced levels with a lot of replayability (such as time attacks and score attacks) than to make a sprawling metroidvania styled adventure. The metroidvania style was my first choice too but the more I think about it the more I like the sounds of the faster, tighter experience.

But I also have more than just a single piece of concept art. I HAVE TUUUNES THAT I MADE. Ascend is the most recent, and is my fave.

ASCEND

LEVEL

MEGANESSEN

SOLITARY

STARS

ALARM

Ascend will definitely be going into the game as is if I end up moving past the concept stage. It was created after I had a better idea of the concept. Level can pass as well. Meganessen needs some beefing up to match the style of Ascend and Level a bit, its lacking a bit of punch. Solitary I have no clue where I'd use that yet but I like it, Stars and Alarm are older (from way before this idea came about) but with some tweaking they can fit in easily!

I'll hopefully have some more concepts and stuff drawn up soon, as well as I'm gonna start on some game design docs and really flesh this stuff out. I know its kinda strange to be working on the music and whatever at this point but I'm more of an audio/visual guy than anything else so I'm just playing to my strengths at the moment haha.

---------

I also have boatloads more art to share but I am too lazy to go track it all since I last posted in here.

Couldn't help myself, got eager to do some more concepts. No colour as of yet. (should be working on comics!!)

BATSHIT%20UNICORN%202.jpg

We got Batshit herself, some human soldiers (and their leader chick), an AI girl that upgrades Batshit, then the big evil guy himself (he is big) and laser arm cannon bot who I made a girl here but I still haven't decided if he is gonna be a he or a she. Its like the reverse megaman so far, mostly girls, so I'll probably try and balance it out by making him a he (or not, we'll see lol).

BATSHIT%20UNICORN%203.jpg

Some enemy designs as well as my 'logo'. My website (which I need to relaunch :/, even the teaser image is outdated) is nimako.org. Nimako is basically just Nightmare Machine (which was the old name) merged down together because Nightmare Machine really doesn't fit what I do haha, and the Ko is from 'comics'. Only with a K instead of a C. Yeah.

Anyway some common enemy designs + scale as well as a potential boss idea. I want to make a set of standard enemies that appear in each level, just so I am not trying to come up with and sprite 4000 enemy types. There will be level specific enemies and other hazards to vary things up. Seeing as I am going to be aiming to sprite this all in an HD resolution it will be time consuming as it is.

I even made a little jingly noise for the star logo haha: its short though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I come sharing music today, rather than art, because I am too lazy to go grab the bucketloads of art I've been drawing lately.

Anyway:

Updated the Astris set with 2 new songs

Megaman ZX Snake Eyes WIP 1

Just a musical 'sketch' so to speak. I haven't really made music like this one in a while so I felt like throwing together a quick piece that was more along the lines of my usual style. Even then its evolved a bit haha.

But the true evolution is this next track, I don't think I've really made anything with this sort of vibe before. It's got a very retro feel to it which happened unintentionally. I plan on really making it shine though as I want to use it as a 'themesong' for my comic.

BANG! version1

This is what started it, I made this the other night out of the blue and I really fucking love it. But I felt it was lacking really punchy drums and a bit of clarity. So I worked on that a bit for version 2.

BANG! Version 2

So I punched up the drums (not sure if too much yet), also spread things out a bit to make it a little spacier. Some things are clearer - but other sounds I kind of overlooked and now they are quiet. I also added a small part to the first part of the song in terms of filling up a spot I felt was empty with a variation on one of the synths.

I want to bring back a bit of the crunchiness that is present in the first version as well as make a few of the other sounds more prominent like I said. So basically I guess just combining elements from version 1 and melting it with version 2 to make something wicked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you :)!!

Anyway some new arts:

Sketch I did with no construction lines/base sketch underneath. Basically just straight ahead inked for the hell of it, so I kept it simple. It isn't perfect but for how I did it it was a fun test. I really just wanted to sketch it though for a different reason:

tumblr_mjuhaoHBvW1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

This is that other reason:

tumblr_mjun8htwLk1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

I was trying to experiment with colours a little. Little details mainly - like colouring the lines first and using a tone in the multiply layers. I did fix up the drawing a bit in places where it was off in the first one but didn't correct -everything- as that'd have taken me even longer. This was really time consuming in terms of the process. I was testing this mainly to see if this was a colouring style I'd want to pursue for the interior comic pages. While it would be doable it would also make a page incredibly time consuming to make so I have yet to really decide on that front. If anything I'll probably use this style for covers/interior illustrations of sorts.

And some new tuuunes.

Both of these tracks don't have final instrument sounds (like the drums don't match any of the previous songs right now as its lacking the Genesis sounds). Compositions on both are really early too. On the boss track I used some of the default presets on QuadraSID to add some extra flair to it, up 'til now the Astris tracks have only contained my own custom presets in a different VST to make. But I felt like it could use some SID :). I also made another new preset of my own though for the boss track. The Ruins A is all custom presets though. All the mixes are rough btw.

ASTRIS - "Malus Ruins A"

BOSS A

Whoa. Absolutely amazing art & style & character designs you got here maaaaan.

Dude I can't even comprehend how you do such great mind blowing work. I really love those character designs man o man they are so radical cool & sexy <3

After looking at yo great works you made me feel like a cruddy artist. Ugh. D:

After looking at yo great works you made me feel like a cruddy artist. Ugh. D:

Everyone's art is different. I usually take inspiration from the art I like and figure out how to incorporate it into my own style. Don't feel minisculed, instead, feel inspired.

Edit: To keep things topical, I do enjoy your artwork, Rawr. I keep wanting to listen to your music, but I always forget by the time I get home. So I'll try to make an effort to do so tonight.

Everyone's art is different. I usually take inspiration from the art I like and figure out how to incorporate it into my own style. Don't feel minisculed, instead, feel inspired.

Indeed I do find it very inspiring! I've always loved such extreme & sexy styles as that. I just find it very hard to add such detail to my own works atm. Well I'll get there someday hopefully. And don't worry to much about me. I'm not a very serious person most of the time. So I am fine. :)

Edit: To keep things topical, I do enjoy your artwork, Rawr. I keep wanting to listen to your music, but I always forget by the time I get home. So I'll try to make an effort to do so tonight.

Bolded the part I agree with 100%! I get inspired all the time by lots of artists that are infinitely better than me, just makes me want to keep working hard to be at my best as well :)

And thanks guys!! You guys are too kind ;o;

Edit: Oh yeah finished the boss theme: https://soundcloud.com/batteryknife/boss-theme-1

Edit: Oh yeah finished the boss theme: https://soundcloud.com/batteryknife/boss-theme-1

I actually haven't listened to your music yet. But I did just now! Pretty good stuff.

Music is the one thing I've never really tried to do much. With drawing & trying to learn to make games & story telling & concept creation like character designs ETC. I got my plate full already. Ahh If only I had more time in my life for everything~

Bolded the part I agree with 100%!

I think that if you agreed with the other part of my post, you would probably look insane. :)

Edit: I did listen to your music finally. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was good. I dig the boss theme you posted. It reminds me of the samurai levels on the Ninja Turtles arcade games.

Indeed I do find it very inspiring! I've always loved such extreme & sexy styles as that. I just find it very hard to add such detail to my own works atm. Well I'll get there someday hopefully. And don't worry to much about me. I'm not a very serious person most of the time. So I am fine. :)

Just trying to be encouraging, really. I know it's hard to figure out how to incorporate certain elements into your style. It's the same for music and art for me. Once you figure it out, though, it's always really rewarding.