A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

Soul Taker

I felt like fucking around with my guitar for the first time in ages. This was basically me jamming with myself in ableton. Made up a lot of it on the fly. The main riff I had made about 5 minutes before recording but all the lead was one take so its messy. In fact the entire thing is but maybe I'll re-record the guitar and whatever better next time and flesh it out a little bit.

tumblr_mothp04CDj1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

and I haven't forgotten about this old game idea. Posted the older drawings in here before but the image links for it are broken I think. But yeah, just fartin' around.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess this is as good a time as any to update this thread...again. But with artwork this time.

Anyway was doing a 30 character challenge thing for November and quit on day 7 like a loser. Technically I only finished up to day 4 but w/e.

tumblr_mvtvb4f9BA1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvtvb4f9BA1qlnz6fo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvtvb4f9BA1qlnz6fo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvtvb4f9BA1qlnz6fo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvxp1jv5Jr1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvxp1jv5Jr1qlnz6fo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvxp1jv5Jr1qlnz6fo2_1280.jpg

Haha if I am gonna draw anyone next it's either gonna be more Ryuko or Satsuki! Fave chars.

Anyway I made a new track earlier today: https://soundcloud.com/batteryknife/transfer

And re-arranged another track I already posted, but when I listen to this version it really makes me all of a sudden notice the riff is like that one Sonic CD (can't remember which level it was for) haha: https://soundcloud.com/batteryknife/trip

game2_by_endshark-d6xuktw.jpg

Oh yeah I guess there is this too. Some friends and I are throwing around concepts for a game idea. I'm still fleshing this one out though to properly present to them to make it a reality. We do have a basic engine going in unity but its super barebones right now. That song I posted above (transfer) is a test to see what direction I want to take the soundtrack in too :P

• Like 1

So it's Marina Lightyears mixed up with Megaman. You'd better make it so she can SHAKE SHAKE those crates.

Are those heart-shaped pupils? Awesome. And I love the "skull face" you put in the shoulder joints. LOVE IT.

Also, idea for a boss: Have an S&K like cart use LOCK-ON TECHNOLOGY ™, fusing with another cart - this changes the behaviour and attacks. Once you knock off that cart, another shows up - with different attacks and behaviour.

Otherwise, even better (since it seems that the cart people are allies): Have the S&K like cart as an assist character - you shove in different carts on top of it in order to use special skills.

If you guys get this up on kickstarter I'll be sending you $$$ so hard, especially because I'm now rather thankful that I didn't give in to temptation for Mighty No.9's kickstarter - and this would be much more satisfying to pledge on.

yeah I'm pretty hyped by that design, looks pretty stylish and I'd love a nice love-letter to megaman game

I wish there was a "Like all posts by Rawr made on this thread" button so I can have it all in one go

Haha she doesn't shake things. Gameplay wise its nothing like Mischief Makers really although the design came about from Marina + Mega Man + Samus Aran in terms of inspirations. She can carry blocks and other items around to put on switches etc to solve some puzzles in some of the dungeon areas. The cartridge people aren't the enemies of the game, though I'll probably make some network/computer related bosses as well. The cartridge people are just citizens of this one city area I have mapped out in my head vaguely. Glad you're digging it :D. I'm avoiding the evil mad scientist trope for this as well since I feel that story has been done a lot already.

Also sorry to hear you're not cool with Mighty No.9, considering its just a very small fraction of fans who are being buttheads about the community manager. I still am quite happy that I pledged and gave money towards the project - super stoked for it actually lol.

Nah, I'm just glad that I don't have access to the mighty forums (and potential retarded-ness) for the time being. If the game turns out to be good, I can always get it later. I still love the concept (and dat Call), but I hate it when stupid drama overtakes - and successful Kickstarters tend to attract a lot (I'm looking at you, Double Fine Adventure).

I am a bit irked in how that girl appears to have been chosen for the task, but as long as the game is okay I don't care. Back in MM2 and SMB3 days there was no "community management" to video games, and it was probably way better like that. They'd better make Call playable though. :I

In the end, she's not the director of the game, so there shouldn't be any serious, drastic changes.

PR nowadays can spell doom for you for minor things (remember Paul Christowhatevero and the Avenger controllers, Dongle jokes @ python, etc). But well, sometimes it helps - Dragon's Crown is a great game, and I got it mainly because 1-it's vanillaware and 2-dat artbook... but I'm sure that a lot of people bought it after watching all the drama concerning the (as shitaku put it) "lolicon-fantasy-driving" sorceress. M#9 had a lot of attention and it probably has even more right now. So yeah... I can always get it later on. Meanwhile I prefer to stay away from all the retarded crap in the community. I'll let the gameplay speak once it's out... not those retarded "fans".

Back to the game... That weapon A/B system would work like Zelda's, I guess? I can imagine the potential for all sorts of items in that cannon - hookshot, grenades, exploding farm animals...

Yeah it's gonna have an item system kind of like a Zelda game, but I'll probably utilize something like the form switch thing from Mega Man ZX/ZXA to select items instead of having to go to a pause menu (though I'd probably request you can do it from the pause menu as well). Probably going to give her some missiles and a grappling hook sort of thing etc. I haven't 100% settled on an arm cannon though, that was out of a lack of wanting to design a bunch of weapons at the moment. I am on the rocks if I want to keep that element or not. I'm only going to give her items though that are used in more than one spot. I don't want to give her stuff and have it be redundant outside of the area you get it (like Zelda games generally do). It'll probably be more of a Metroid type scenario where as you get more items the more areas you will be able to open up.

screens_by_endshark-d6yby70.jpg

flowchart_by_endshark-d6yby79.jpg

Some more mockups as well as a flowchart for what I have in mind so far for the main menu etc. I am gonna go through and refine some stuff though!

The title/logo right now is all placeholder. I am still throwing titles around but so far the project is simply being titled "Proxy" as a dev title. I would like to either have a tagline that is like "Proxy: The First Attack" or "Proxy The Mighty" either or. Those aren't actual ideas or anything but have the tagline either be an event or more of a name/title type deal is what I am leaning towards, those are just examples.

Also my friend is starting to incorporate some more features into the engine with our beauuuutiful placeholder graphix of Zero and some random sprite stuff I made ages ago:

VJnWj4h.gif

The slopes are not able to be walked on yet (right now you just catch air running on them), but objects do have some physics to them. Since Proxy will be able to carry items and hit switches we needed to make sure this worked. He went above and beyond though since I had no intention of having objects roll but now that he put it in there I can see a lot of unique puzzles in my head :).

• Like 1