A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

• 4 weeks later...

Art dump time.

Tumblr linking this one cause its a big collection of sketches

This one too because its 24 hour comics day

Issue one cover mockup and current progress with the lines:

tumblr_lu6an2Qhjk1r602ju

tumblr_lufl11W8Ms1r602ju

More design tweaks and concepts:

tumblr_lusow7c4Px1r602ju

Wall of text for this image:

Was feeling up to a tiny bit of drawing after work today.

Did some design changes again on Noelle (and a minor name change, changed the spelling to Noelle). I also have another version with black hair and I’m kind of flip flopping. Its not TOO different than the one before but she has a larger jacket, a fur collar thing, and the cursed area is not as big. its also heart shaped around her chest too, and I had thought of a bullshit significance for that but its late and I’m tired so I’m already forgetting what it was haha.

Then we have major demon villain girl again who I haven’t named yet. She is evil and stuff, I kinda like drawing her though. Screwed up on the three fingered arm, its supposed to be a bit longer and the claws are supposed to be massive but I kinda got lazy.

Then there is some random character at the bottom that started out as Aysel and then I sort of went off in some other direction with it. I may actually make that one into a character, for some stupid reason the whole colour scheme really doesn’t fit with any of the other characters thus far (blues and greens and pinks and oranges) that I might keep her around sooner or later. Gotta think of a significant reason as to why though. Her little floating eyes too are of her eye colour and normally so far I’ve drawn everyone with that ability with yellow/red/orange eyes with it. So perhaps I can make some significance with that later on there. Not sure, thats all if I even decide to keep this character.

Edit: Right, and some poopy music too! Blarhgblarhg

Aka: I still have no real clue what I am doing and just put it together with duct-tape because music is more or less just a hobby lol.

also I just finished another go-around of sketches.

tumblr_luukprIR6F1r602ju

Trying to keep them less messy if I can lately, but its a little tough to break some habits when laying down a sketch.

Edit Edit: ah fuck it here are a few other tracks I've toyed around with recently:

"Forgotten Places" A more guitar oriented side album thing I was chipping away at but then stopped working on. Was listening to insane loads of Our Lady Peace when making these. A couple other 90s bands too (Blur comes to mind).

"Mockingbird"A recent track I added to WANDER. Needs bass but I don't have access to that and I hate a lot of the presets I got, can't find anything chunky that I'd like.

"Virus" - Only the start of the track because this is as far as I got before I got stuck lol.

"Demonize This" - Felt like making a heavier track cause I don't really make many of those anymore for some reason. I never get the right 'heavy' feel I want out of it. Like I want something really deep and dark and heavy. This doesn't hit that at all and I kinda don't like it too much but its alright.

Reaverbot Version 2 - I went back and kinda touched up a few things on this track. Not too much has really changed from the original.

Some random new song from a while ago - Never named it and I forget what I was going to use it for/how I was gonna expand on it.

Thanks on both accounts (I think!), I have only watched Blade Runner once so I am not all too familiar with that soundtrack or the composer. When it comes to music though I gotta admit I really don't know what I am doing and am pretty noob-like when it comes to utilizing ableton and the VSTs I got. I'm about as basic as you can get with that, kinda wish I had taken more time to learn more about making music.

Thanks on both accounts (I think!), I have only watched Blade Runner once so I am not all too familiar with that soundtrack or the composer. When it comes to music though I gotta admit I really don't know what I am doing and am pretty noob-like when it comes to utilizing ableton and the VSTs I got. I'm about as basic as you can get with that, kinda wish I had taken more time to learn more about making music.

haha yeah they were both compliments :D

just keep playing around with ableton, look up tutorials, mess about with presets, you'll get the hang of it :D

Thanks man :D. It means a lot to me, your music is super slick and awesome. I really need to find a way to get my stuff to sound really full and crisp. I know next to nothing really about how to properly master stuff and I think I just throw around the term meaninglessly sometimes haha.

Felt like making a track reminiscent of my days before making more electronic music. Guitar driven, punk/rock/whatever influenced stuff.

Gotta still add fills here and there to the drums and shit but I've just finished writing some vocals and will try to put some vocals down on it. It'll be the first time in 2 years that I've done that. So if it turns out like crap well...I just won't share that version haha.

http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/explode-demo

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy all your stuff. Your art style is nifty, and I'm glad to see that you're gravitating towards original stuff. It's solid work. I also rather enjoy how you depict breasts :D!

Music stuff is cool too. You've got a great skillset, keep at it.

Sonic 3 - Competition "remaster"

from the page:

Just spent some time figuring out the notes. It is identical to the original aside from the pad in the BG, the instruments (obviously) and I fiddled with the piano in the 'chorus' the second round in.

So right now this isn't really so much of a remix, but I needed to know the notes before I could start working on something new with it all. However I might not deviate too far and instead give it a "Planet Wisp" type feel. I don't want to try and do too many mashups in this since I want to at least stay true to the song itself but perhaps vary it up in a Sonic Colours-esque way. Not sure yet!

Anyway this is being made as an entry to the SSMB musical album project.

I just spent some time here after work figuring it out and then played around with it a little. Either way I am gonna keep working on it when I have the chance. Also I goofed its not identical to the original 100%. The drums are a bit different and there are no drums in the start. But it still is really close enough to not really be a remix yet. Although I just caught an instrument I hadn't added in yet that was in the original, which is why I added the pad cause something felt missing. I found what it was that was missing.

Edit: Oh right some drawing stuff too. I told myself I wasn't going to do any BGs on this page but I lied and now I'm gonna do them throughout the page.

tumblr_lvgu7aOC161qlnz6f

you really did get that planet wisp effect especially with the piano.

the mix does get a little muddy at some points, maybe reduce the reverb a couple of dB and increase the predelay time a little to bring some of the more important instruments forward. If the reverb you're using for the drums has a low-cut knob, bring that to about 300Hz and it'll stop the kick drum from getting muddy. Really nice reimagining though!

I always thought that song was overlooked, it's got a right funky beat to it ;)

Haha yeah I didn't really do much mixing to it, it was really late and I didn't feel like for a rough test to give it a proper mix. However I will definitely keep that stuff in mind when I go to the final mix because I could really use it to not get muddy. I want to try and get it as clear (but as full as I can). The final will be more re-mixey but I don't want to get too far away from the source when I get to that point.

And yes, it does have a cool beat! I really like it as well. Thanks dude :)

Final Remix

I tried to master it as best as I know how to haha (which is basically nothing because I've never taken any audio course outside of radio in high school). I also couldn't resist a few SID instruments via QuadraSID (the fuzzyness in the bass you hear prominently at parts when the other instruments aren't there is from the SID Bass, and it was kind of an oversight on my part after I had finished haha). Either way this is as good as I'll get it. Not sure if I want to attempt another one or not. I think I succeeded in the direction I wanted to take this little project though.

• 3 weeks later...

VOID secret Santa:

7d08088fc212de0db639024cfd5ef538-d4k64t9.jpg

WFA Secret Santa:

dd34cd9e90e19a758388384e3565e406-d4k64ps.jpg

Each one took around 3-4 hours. I did them kinda last minute like a douche, but I've been really busy.

Nyeahyeanyhea. Have a good Christmas guys.

tumblr_lvvoslXDtM1r602ju

(didn't have time to finish it lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you :).

I forgot if I posted these up or not

http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/album/untitled-ost

Some tracks I started on. The Area theme when there is no combat present, then the level theme when combat is present (think PSO I guess). And then a boss theme I have only started on and really badly want to tweak/add on to/finish but I haven't had the time to do so.

I also made some random track not too long ago:

http://revisionone.bandcamp.com/track/sidtroid

Did it randomly after work one night in an hour or so, but I do wanna expand upon it and stuff.

oh man I do love your artwork, you've developed a really cool style here.

the first track from the sea facility set really reminds me of something you'd hear in Tekken Tag Tournament for some reason... good thing ;)

your tracks are lush though, you really communicate your ideas well through the sounds.

do you have any studio monitors at the moment? if not I'd advise buying some entry-level monitors such as http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/alesis-m1-active-520-active-studio-monitors-pair--30394

it'll help you make more informed decisions with the balance of your instruments (bass on the battle track is quite a bit too loud)

i'd also SUPER advise buying Mike Senior's book "Mixing Secrets" as it has pretty much blown my mind on how to mix music properly: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0240815807/ref=asc_df_02408158076043259?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=0240815807

p.s. I might be writing a weird album sometime called "Songs for My Cat" under the nom de guerre "tunnotron.8", it'd be cool to have some of your artwork for it... if I ever do the album :P

Yeah man I'd be down for putting some artwork for you if you ever do the album :), thanks!

Also thanks for the compliments on the music, as of yet I don't actually have any studio monitors, just some run of the mill computer speakers. Glad you like my tracks though!

I'll also have to check out that book because I really have no clue what I am doing haha.