A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Revival

Chaos Rush

I've added a lot of new features, but I don't want to show/tell all of them, because I want the next demo to be surprising, and fun. This is all I want to show:

screenmp9.png

Now Sonic actually does a trick instead of spinning. Theres more too, but I want it to be a surprise. I'm trying to get the next demo finished as soon as possible, so at the earliest expect it sometime during next weekend, or early June.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh...after lots of boss testing, I bring you Demo 05! Except it doesn't have a Spring Yard Mach Speed Act......and its 12.03 Megabytes. Yeah, and thats why I had Spring Yard have Midi music because it would take up less space.

http://www.mediafire.com/?g4mc9uowiob

PASSWORDS:

Marble Zone: PurpleRockZone

Spring Yard Zone: WhyIsTheSkyPurple

And yeah, its a little incomplete. But I wanted to get it over with. It goes up to the boss fight of Spring Yard zone.

For the most part, this game is awesome! There are bad glitches in there but its fixable...like in spring yard, how do I get out of that pinball thing? and in marble zone, when I fall into a lava pit, I really cant get out at all. Maybe you should increase sonics jumping limit or lower the platforms. And lastly, when I touch the bottom of vertically moving platforms, I instantaneously die.

Yeaah your game rocks!! I only player Green Hill and the begining of Marble, but I enjoyed it a lot. There's some bugs, as it's said above, like the collision with the spikes after you were hurt and also a minor problem with the rails when going up (jumping, not grinding),but really great (and really speedy) game.

Nice graphics and story scenes too. You worked hard and the result is impressive.

For the most part, this game is awesome! There are bad glitches in there but its fixable...like in spring yard, how do I get out of that pinball thing? and in marble zone, when I fall into a lava pit, I really cant get out at all. Maybe you should increase sonics jumping limit or lower the platforms. And lastly, when I touch the bottom of vertically moving platforms, I instantaneously die.

To get out of pinball mode, you have to go through a certain hole. Its A LOT easier if you have the Thunder shield, but I (think) forgot to put one in there. In the Demo 5.1 (The glitch fix follow-up demo), there will be an arrow pointing so you know where to go.

What the hell? Joy2key completely screws this game up. Sonic starts walking left and never stops.

It's never done that before in anything else.

Edit: Okay, Xpadder works fine. Hm. This is pretty alright! Though... Sonic... feels kind of heavy. Did I mention this the last time I played? It feels more obvious now with the bosses, it's like Sonic's ten tons. He takes forever to accelerate and forever to deaccelerate. Up those values a bit.

The lava being puffs of red smoke also still looks weird. Also, the phrases in Spring Yard Zone should be more obvious that they are signs and/or decorations (be it neon signs or whatever). I thought it was just weird debug text at first.

Actually I really liked only the first act of green hill. The rest I just completed. The game looks rather cool but there are tons of different childish bugs and faults that prevent this game becomig GREAT. I really hope you will remove them.

Yeah, I have to agree with Felik. Here are the things that made me not like this game so much.

1. The disgusting mass amount of light dash rings. They are EVERYWHERE.

2. A problem with almost all newer fangames. Too high of acceleration, too low of decelleration. Feels just... wrong.

3. Uses Sonic Heroes music? Can we get some Genesis remixes in here?

4. No boss music. Come on...

5. Marble Zone has no lava? Come on! That's just lazy and silly looking.

6. The pinball game. It's ridiculous and the most unpolished thing in the game by far. There is NO indication of how you got there or even what you have to do. It's just BAM! Pinball game! Do you fall out? Who knows!

7. The dialogue is silly and seems to be taken out of a 13 year old's fanfic. The "Oh, and my nickname is Eggman" line that just comes out of NOWHERE makes me shake my head every time.

8. The Green Hill boss doesn't even MOVE.

9. The Marble boss is impossible and nothing close to the original.

10. Spring Yard boss is wonky. It doesn't work like the original. It just goes down, pokes, comes up, goes down again. The original flew left to right for a while, then came down to poke the BLOCK Sonic was on, not Sonic himself, and it actually went in a straight line down.

11.The blur around Sonic when he is in a ball is too big.

These are just a few things I could think of at the moment. Oh, and make a Vista friendly version for people. I had to go dig out the old GM6 to GM7 converter, and nobody wants to do that.

QFT of what Spike said, but I'd like to add to comment number eight...

The ball of the Green Hill boss doesn't even come up enough to do any damage, so it's really, really easy. Additionally, in Marble Zone, the breakable ground is broken only if I stand on it and jump and even then, it breaks when I press jump, not when I fall back down. The blocks should break on contact when Sonic's in his jump (ball) animation.

I've actually been waiting for someone to tear apart Demo 05 so I know how to improve the game much better.

1. The disgusting mass amount of light dash rings. They are EVERYWHERE.

2. A problem with almost all newer fangames. Too high of acceleration, too low of decelleration. Feels just... wrong.

3. Uses Sonic Heroes music? Can we get some Genesis remixes in here?

4. No boss music. Come on...

5. Marble Zone has no lava? Come on! That's just lazy and silly looking.

6. The pinball game. It's ridiculous and the most unpolished thing in the game by far. There is NO indication of how you got there or even what you have to do. It's just BAM! Pinball game! Do you fall out? Who knows!

7. The dialogue is silly and seems to be taken out of a 13 year old's fanfic. The "Oh, and my nickname is Eggman" line that just comes out of NOWHERE makes me shake my head every time.

8. The Green Hill boss doesn't even MOVE.

9. The Marble boss is impossible and nothing close to the original.

10. Spring Yard boss is wonky. It doesn't work like the original. It just goes down, pokes, comes up, goes down again. The original flew left to right for a while, then came down to poke the BLOCK Sonic was on, not Sonic himself, and it actually went in a straight line down.

11.The blur around Sonic when he is in a ball is too big.

1. Uh-oh, I put to much again...

2. I'll try to change that...my fault again

3. The problem is, I really can't download music that just plays in that Quick Time thing. I cannot upgrade to Quick Time Pro, so I can't actually download stuff from OCRemix just because of Quick Time.

4. I apologize for that, thats me being lazy again

5. I actually tried really hard to create decent looking lava sprites, but I can't. But it does look really cheap, and it does bug me. I will try to actually make them again.

6. Yes, it is very glitchy. I should have really made the pinball Sonic a separate object, which I would probably also end up having a different room for that after you beat the "act".

7. I think I should really just remove the cutscenes, the original Sonic didn't have any.

8. I know that, I tried to, and I will get it.

9. Even though it was probably too hard, is it okay to make your own bosses?

10. I know that I need to fix that

11. It is? I should really simply just remove that blur.

What is planned is that the next demo won't be out until August 2008 (SAGE), and it might not even be out until later than that. I want the next demo to be perfect, no glitches, and fun to play. And yes, I know about those blocks in Marble zone, they should break after I jump, not when I jump (And they shouldn't have a crappy explosion).

I like your cutscenes. They have potential. I can proofread/rewrite your dialogue for you if you want.

Also, try adding in some distinctive gimmicks from the stages you are remaking. You did that with Spring Yard, but not so much with Marble Zone and Green Hill. Try!

Hey Chaos Rush, i'd just like to point out a really useful fact when it comes to gimmicks -- Less is always better. Im actually talking about light-dash in particular. Its only neat when you get chances to use it, or when you notice you can do it when it isnt completely obvious.

Another thing is that this game is just too damn fast. When it gets this fast, there is no point of level design, because you don't see it anyway. Forget having time to do things like light dash, because the rings are already gone by the time any normal human can react.

5. I actually tried really hard to create decent looking lava sprites, but I can't. But it does look really cheap, and it does bug me. I will try to actually make them again.

Rip them from SAdvan - Secret Base Act 1. Use VisualBoy Advance. Seriously, no excuse. Even has jumping lava sprites. =/