A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Revival

Chaos Rush

logotd8.png

*This is not the official logo, it was the promotional logo that was used for Demo 03, which was released over a year ago

Backstory:

Waaaay back in November 2006, there was a game for the Gameboy Advance released, and it was called, "Sonic The Hedgehog: Genesis". Obviously, people hated it. So I tried to make a Sonic fangame that was kind of like a remake of Sonic The Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis, but it would play a lot like the Sonic Advance series, and the graphics would be similar to the Sonic Advance series. That was my first post at SCD, and obviously I think it sucked. And I was only 10 years old too, so I sucked at Game Maker. I actually released 2 demos within a week, so thats also why it sucked. Luckily, Chaos_Zero at SCD had released the source for his old project, so I decided to use it. After December 2006 when I got registered on GM6, I used that engine because I thought it was, "AWESOME". Plus, that engine I had switched to was the last remnant of GamerGuy's very old, "Sonic Rescue". In February, I released Demo 03, and I don't think it really sucked. I thought it was cool. Later in March, I had realized the pressure that I shouldn't make a Sonic fangame with no GML knowledge. So I quit Sonic Revival. And fangaming. But then in August 2007, I came back to SCD, and worked on a fangame (2 actually), but then other people made me realize that I want to work on Sonic Revival. So I began working on this brand new Sonic engine that would be superior to the previous engine, it was superior (to me, anyway). I released that engine here at SFGHQ, so some of you guys might remember that back in October. For the rest of October and some of November, I tried as fast as I could to get Demo 04 out of Sonic Revival. I released it at SCD, and results were generally positive, so I continued to work on it. I also temporarily posted an extension to Demo 04 here, but I took it off.

DEMOS:

Demo 05

Demo 4.1 (Taken off)

Demo 04 (Not available)

Demo 03 (Not available)

Demo 02 (Available, but not worth posting. Check the SCD archive)

Demo 01 (Available, but not worth posting. Check the SCD archive)

Screenshots:

Eggman?

lol, working bridges

Aren't those green things supposed to be outside?

A blue spring?

There is are about 3 playable demos, but you have to look at other places because the current screen shots look nothing like them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros-

-I like your level tiles, they look really nice.

-Engine is pretty nice as well

-No problem with level design, although you can hold off on the steep slopes a bit

Cons-

-Your paralax is awful. Absolutely awful. It goes way too fast for it to look like its far away, and when im not touching the ground it completely throws off any kind of sense of how fast i was going. It can look like im going 3 miles a second and only be traveling at walking speed.

-Electric sheild does not work. It attracts rings, but in reality it throws away more than it gives me. Increase the attraction.

-Your light dash is pretty buggy, glitching me through walls and in few instances actually killing me by glitching me through the floor.

-Some of your rail segments are too steep to even get upwards on. I was on a rail once and the speeder couldn't even boost me past the incline.

-Along with that problem, Sonic needs to accelerate a tad faster. Something about him feels kind of odd to me.

Ok I got an error on Marble Garden Zone which says:

Error in action 1 of Step Event for objDeathWallSensor

And it says unknown variable x.

This game is very solid though. The lightspeed dash you're using is kinda like mine in my game. It makes the player go through walls. The level tiles is nice as well. The music is also a strong point so far. Keep up the good work!

There is also something mildly comical in each zone (Except Marble Zone because its incomplete...). If you find them, please tell me.

LOL, you went the wrong way, stupid!!!! jk, jk, jk....

I've never been a fan of Advance style sprites and graphics, but I actually think this game is a cool idea, I'll be interested in seeing what the other zones look like. Very nice.

You are awesome.

Try Demo 04 to see how little progress I've actually made since then. And try Demo 01 to see how horrible it is.

And for those of you who never found them, heres the mildly comical objects in each zone so far:

99375117eq2.png

Remember, if you still want to find them yourself, then don't click on the spoiler! The one on the left is the first level you play through, and the one on the right is the level after you beat the boss.

Anyways, instead of temporarily reviving Sonic Revival (lol), I'm going to actually make a real effort to finish this game. To my surprise, progress is going much faster than I expected, so by the time the game is beaten, there will be unlockables.

* = Partially present in the latest Demo

** = Present in the latest Demo

The next demo will have:

1. Title Screen + Menu

2. Save + Loading feature

3. The 1st Cutscene

4. The 2st Cutscene**

5. Green Hill Action Stage*

6. The 3rd Cutscene**

7. Green Hill Boss

8. The 4th Cutscene

9. Green Hill Mach Speed Area*

10. Marble Action Stage

11. Marble Boss

12. The 5th Cutscene

13. Spring Yard Action Stage

14. The 6th Cutscene

15. Spring Yard Mach Speed Area

16. Spring Yard Boss

So basically this fangame will no longer have short, rushed demos. A release date? Probably some time during April, May, or June. Then the next demo after that won't be until SAGE. Then I'm thinking the next demo after that would be the last demo, and then there will be one more release as the final game.

Some of you might have already seen this picture, but this is what Spring Yard Zone looks like so far:

syzscreenxh9.png

Comments on Spring Yard?

Okay just so you make sure you know how serious it is, make SURE you fix the Light dash. I decided to finsh your demo and i cant even get past the first level because the lightdash keeps glitching me through the walls and wasting my lives.

So, word of advice?

Lost Rings + Magnetized rings = not lightdash-able. Far too glitchy. And in your levels, refrain from making lightdash paths that can glitch you.

Its almost not playable, since every time i lightdash i take a gamble of glitching through the floor.

Oh, and make sonic's Spindash not suck

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'll go with the new HUD. But remember, a bigger screen means a slightly harder time with the 60 FPS frame rate, but it will look sexier better.

Also, should I remove the black bars at the top & bottom of the screen? I added those so it would look more, "wide-screen".

Finally got it to play... by converting it into a win-vista file myself that is.

So man... why the HELL do you have that stupid wall with the reflection... moving backwards? It doesn't make any sense. It should be moving forward slowly, not backwards slowly.

More to the point though, it's ugly. Get rid of it or make each block much smaller and send it much further into the background.

Finally got it to play... by converting it into a win-vista file myself that is.

So man... why the HELL do you have that stupid wall with the reflection... moving backwards? It doesn't make any sense. It should be moving forward slowly, not backwards slowly.

More to the point though, it's ugly. Get rid of it or make each block much smaller and send it much further into the background.

Just to let you know...I changed that weeks ago.

This is what it currently looks like:

screenyz5.png

Better?

Hey, you didn't have to go into the trouble of doing that. If you asked, I would have given you the Open-Source file privately because you seem like someone trustable.

Anyways (omg, I just realized I always say that word),

Demo 05 is starting to shape up, and I will try my best to offer a lot.

Heres a list of everything new thats going to be in there, and how far they have been implemented:

Better/Glitch free badnik collision (100% Complete)

Tilting bridges (100% Complete)

New Screen size & HUD (100% Complete)

Marble Zone (98% Complete)

Spring Yard Zone (75% Complete)

Spring Yard Pinball (99% Complete)

And some other stuff that I can't remember right now.