A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Blitz: The Thread [Some Words, 06-09-08]

Sockman

This project is experiencing a change in direction, head to my latest post on page 13 for more info.

Scroll down past the gay old stuff for the first demo release!workingtitleqd8.png

Welcome to the Official Sonic Blitz Thread

Sockman is currently working on...

-Opening Cutscenes

-Main Menu

-Wild Wood Zone, Act 2

-Special Stage Concepts

Features*

-One Playable Character - Sonic! (Deal with it!)

-Minimal Dialogue (Sonic games seemed to start sucking after those damn critters started talking)

-Minimalist Plot (No shitty Emerald-based melodrama to be found!)

-Focus on Speed (Funny, I remember that being said about Sonic Next.)

-RPG-esque upgrade system, including special moves (see video), and movement upgrades

-No lame fan characters (Playable or otherwise!)

*You'll notice that most of those aren't actually "features" and are filler to make the list look big. More features will be added as I make progress

STORY:

Shadow has gained sudden control over Eggman's forces, and is mobilizing them with copiously for an unknown agenda. With the world quickly falling under Shadow's control, Sonic has no choice but to help his greatest foe regain his empire.

Is Eggman truly the lesser of two evils?

Will Shadow finally face his demise? (And not come back, that bastard)

If this plot is supposed to be "minimalist", why have two questions already been asked?

Those questions, and more*, will be answered in "Project Blitz"

*Not really, those are the only three questions.

--------------------------------------

UPDATE 1: "Meet The Engine!" OR "Sonic's Got Da Moves!"

12/9/07

The first thing I'd like to do is unveil the first of many future videos that will show off various aspects of the game.

You'll notice that, while I said the game's emphasis would be speed, that this video seems to be showing off Sonic's various attacks.

This is something I thought should be shown off first. (Mainly because it's the only decent thing about the engine that I've finished)

The level you see in this video is really a thrown-together test level, so good level design wasn't in mind. While "Urban Iron Zone" will probably be in the final game, the level structure will actually have some thought put into it.

But I digress, the important thing about this update is the moves.

You'll note that Sonic has all of these moves available from the start. This is just for testing purposes, and will not be the case in the actual game.

Now let's break 'em down:

Slide Kick (Fire B while rolling)

shot2.png

A quick way to get out of a roll while losing minimal speed.

Peel-Out (Up+Fire A)

shot5.png

This has been a fan favorite since its stint in Sonic CD. I included it because I've always found it useful. (That, and it was insanely easy to implement)

Twister Kick (Fire A in mid-air)

shot3ei3.png

Sonic will spin rapidly like a helicopter, slowing the speed of your fall for a second or so. This move can also be used to deflect certain projectiles back at enemies. (See video) The negative side, however, is that you do not return to your jump roll afterwards; which will leave you vulnerable.

Sonic Wind (Fire B)

shot4to8.png

This is a basic projectile attack that can be done on the ground or in mid-air. The reach isn't far, however, and your back is left completely unguarded. Plus, when in the air, you'll exit your jump roll.

Yep, those are (some of) the attacks you'll see in the final game. I'll maybe add some more if I feel it necessary, but I don't want to make the controls too complicated by adding too many attacks. The game is supposed to be focusing on running fast as hell, anyway.

-------------------------

OMG1 DEMO11 (1/16/08)

Yes, after countless pic/video updates, I've finally released the "rough demo" (you'll understand why when you play it).

It's pretty straight-forward. There aren't any menus or anything, just a quick blurb of text, the pre-level cutscene, the first act of the first zone.

You'll notice that you won't be able to do any of the fancy moves seen in the spiffy update above.

This is because, of course, that you won't have those moves when you start out the game.

At the same time, though, the moves are a vital part of the game, so they need to be tested as much as the rest of the game.

So I went and made things interesting.

medalyc9.png

Eh?

This is the "Tester's Medal", which unlocks all moves and gives you 500 rings when collected. Not only does this allow testing of the attacks, but it also encourages you lucky testers to explore the level a bit. The medal won't be in the final game, obviously.

That's pretty much it, you've already seen the controls for the attacks.

Download the First Demo! (Mirror 1 - Zshare)

Mirror 2 - Host-a Hosting

• Like 1

I watched the video and I think the level is pretty good. Has plenty of speed and all. The first three attacks were alright, but I really don't like the last two. I hate Dragon Ball Z moves like that. But, the actual move in gameplay isn't too bad. It didn't last too long or anything. This is looking pretty good so far. If you make any cool gimmicks I suggest you submit them to Worlds. Unless you want them to be exclusive of course. :P

I watched the video and I think the level is pretty good. Has plenty of speed and all. The first three attacks were alright, but I really don't like the last two. I hate Dragon Ball Z moves like that. But, the actual move in gameplay isn't too bad. It didn't last too long or anything. This is looking pretty good so far. If you make any cool gimmicks I suggest you submit them to Worlds. Unless you want them to be exclusive of course. :P

It's funny you should refer to the laser one as a "Dragon Ball Z" move, since that's actually where the laser sprite is from.

The laser actually lasts depending on how long you hold down Fire 2, and how many rings you have. If you drain all of your rings while using the laser, you die.

One a side note, the two projectile moves are there mainly to add some variation to the way you kill enemies. You'll be able to go through most, if not all, the final game without being required to use them. (At least that's what I had in mind when I implemented them, it could all change later in development)

As for gimmicks, the only one I've managed is the air fans in the demo. (Which are actually quite buggy, but you don't see that because I rehearsed the test level so well)

Thanks for the input.

What the BIZNATCH is with sonic's eye.

Anyway, I saw the video...And I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Not really anything to complain on, so good luck! ;D

Also Nixx the gorrilaz song in the background and get some kickass tune. C:

I actually had a Dragonforce (a loop from Through The Fire and Flames) tune before, but after testing the level several billion times, it started driving me crazy. (You might've noticed that I still used another Dragonforce loop for the Invincibility theme, however)

Also, the Gorillaz tune used is leaning more towards hip-hop (correct me if I'm incorrect, music-genre snobs), which I consider more appropriate for an "urban" level.

While we're on the topic of music, there's a bit of an issue I'm observing when it comes to formats. While I'd like to have a full .ogg or .mp3 soundtrack with kickass music, nobody is going to want to download a 100 MB Sonic fangame.

Is there some super-secret compression or encoding method that I'm not aware of?

What the BIZNATCH is with sonic's eye.

It's...uh...glowing with magical Chaos energy-ness?

The animation is an edit of his Super Form, and his pupil was all whacked up when I converted the pallete to his normal one. No matter what I did with the pupil, it just didn't "look right", so I got lazy and just filled it in with a Master Emerald green.

Mini-Update:

12/09/07

Don't always expect so little time between updates. This is an abnormal happening because I'm doing anything possible to avoid doing Physics homework.

So, anyway, the Sonic Worlds engine came with several monitor objects built in.

I could make this a long update by going through each one, and thereby making it look like I update a WHOLE BUNCH of shit. However, you've all encountered these objects many times in both official and fan Sonic games, so I don't think an introduction is necessary.

regularboxesie5.png

The Usual Suspects

"But, Sockman!" you whine in a voice inferior to my own, "Why is there no Fire Shield? DAT WAS LYK T3H BEST ITEM EVAR111"

This is actually why I bothered making an entire mini-update out of this.

THE FIRE ITEM HAS BEEN CHANGED

flameboxij9.png

Hmmm...nothing seems fishy here.

glowmg0.png

Some red-ish glowing and flashing, huh? Whoop-de-fuckin-doo!

ohmygodyk0.png

HOLY SHIT! Is that supposed to be my Twister Kick?

What other moves are affected by this blatant overkill of the Flame Object that Sockman is calling a new item?

agghfirech6.png

That's hot...and I bet the same thing happens with Peel-Out, right?

morefirerd7.png

Well I guess it's kinda pretty, but I wonder what happens when an enemy touches the fire?

Yeah, I know it seems a little "over-the-top" but I think that's kind of what I'm going for in terms of presentation: Insane speed and insane power.

Get rid of it by the way. Its impractical as it takes too long to charge and does nothing immediately better than Sonic Wind.

I have noticed that during my testing sessions. That cluster of three Egg Pawns in the video that I placed to demonstrate the Chaos Cannon can also all be taken out with Sonic Wind. I'm trying to figure something out.

I don't think I'll get rid of it though, but I might make it an optional unlockable or something for replay value.

OR I could just make it a Super Sonic move, since that's where the animation came from in the first place.

Then again, I could just make it a starting base move in the game, and make it REQUIRED to get past certain points, just to piss everyone off. :awink:

Heh...heh...I kid....

ITT we copy smash bros dojo...again.

I was really against doing updates like that at first, actually.

But then I realized it was probably the best way of doing things.

Firstly, it slowly introduces the game in bite-sized bits, instead of shoving it down everyone's throats at once.

Secondly, it makes it look like I'm doing alot more work.

I know many people hate the Dojo-style updates because of some redundant announcements. (IE: "Hey, kids! Here's something you've encountered in EVERY FUCKIN' SONIC GAME EVER MADE!) I'm going to try and keep things as fresh as possible.

I actually probably won't do another actual update until Winter Break starts, since I'm a bit behind on finals, midterm papers, and such.

I've gotta admit after reading your bits about how Sonic games should focus on speed (which gave me Sonic Next flashbacks) and minimalist plot (in combination with your Shadow/Eggman storyline) had me thinking "ohbob no." Your screens however, told me otherwise. Apologies. Much.

I've gotta say I really like the way this is looking and that you really seem to know what you're doing. This is going to be superb. I do think you should take out Sonic Wind and the Chaos power, though. Both of those seem to make it a tad bit too easy for the player. The twister kick's deflection ability is an amazing idea, as is your application of the fire item. I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye on this thread.

When I read your first post, I thought this was going to be another one of those projects that make you go, *sigh*, especially after seeing the pic of the dbz lazer.

Well..... I watched the video. It didn't make me go HOLY SHIT AWESOME, but who am I to kid, it was pretty amazing. It looks like you have quite a few creative elements in there that keep things interesting and making you want to continue playing. It really gets away from the same old Sonic game you see people trying to recreate over and over again. Really nice job with this and I hope you don't end up giving up the project like so many. =>