A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Blitz: The Thread [Some Words, 06-09-08]

Sockman

A SMALL UPDATE: "Know Thy Enemy! Pt. I" or "WE <3 KILLER ROBOTS!"

December 19th 2007

Over the past few days, I've been working more on enemies than gimmicks.

While there will be plenty of your old-school animal-bot fare, I wanted to include smarter, more powerful enemies based on the robots from 3D Sonic games and other games in the series.

Which brings me here, once again, making another obnoxious Brawl-esque update.

While I'm not quite finished with all the enemies, the ones you'll meet in the first half of the game are all here.

The first two don't really need too much introduction, since they've already been seen in the video.

Egg Pawn Patroller

enemypawnbasicnp7.png

Bring it, bitch!

Making their first appearance in Sonic Heroes these ugly orange tin-men are cheaply made and easily destroyed in one hit. (As it turns out, Eggman had some business deal with a shady Chinese sweatshop. Whatever you do, don't lick the body paint!) The Patroller unit stands at guard until Sonic comes nearby, and proceeds to follow him until out of range.

Egg Pawn Rocketeer

enemypawngunca8.png

You know what they say about robots with huge guns...

The EP Rocketeer unit manages to compensate for its crappy armor by packing an awesome laser cannon. The fire-rate is surprising effective, and makes a head-on frontal attack impossible. On the flipside, not only does the heavy cannon make the EP Rocketeer completely immobile, but the projectiles can be deflected with a well-aimed Twister Kick. (Seen in the video)

E-10X Series Sentry

enemye100patrolbp0.png

WHY DO YOU IGNORE MEEEEE!?!?!

Better armored than its Egg Pawn descendants, the E-100 series is best known from Sonic Adventure, where the rebellious Gamma struck back against Eggman's forces. Apparently thinking this line of bots too risky, Eggman apparently decommissioned them as they were little seen in future Sonic games. But with Shadow now the big kid on the block, he was brought many of Eggman's retired robots back from the scrap heap to wreak havoc on Sonic's world. The Sentry unit, however, doesn't wreak much havoc since it seems to just pace back and forth while surveying the area. Don't get run over, though!

E-10X Series Vulture

enemye100hovergk3.png

SURPRISE HOVERSEKS11

The Vulture unit is a formidable foe, with airborne agility to match its solid armor. With a monotone shout of "Destroy!" it swoops down from above and begins to stalk Sonic. If it leaves the screen, watch out! It may just come in for an attack from beneath or the flanks.

E-10X Series Grenadier

enemye100grenadehb5.png

What's it shooting?

Like the EP Rocketeer, the Grenadier unit sacrifices mobility for a bad-ass weapon. Firing in varying arcs, the Grenadier showers the horizon with grenades. To make matters worse, these grenades are somewhat "smart" and will begin to circle the area if they haven't already detonated.

So that's all I got for now, man.

Don't forget that you'll encounter these guys in addition to your standard Buzz Bombers, Crabmeats, and your usual animal fare.

This isn't the end of the Special Badnicks either, tougher Special Badnicks might be in store for you as you progress.

enemygrounderredld2.png

Have we met?

Why's that robot dude called Egg "Pawn" ?

And that bottom character; the drill guy, his shading doesn't seem to fit with Sonic - it's not bold enough.

Other than that, soundies maaate they pwn.

That's the name Sonic Team originally gave them, not me, while this game is all about doing a Soinc game "my way", I still want to remain somewhat loyal to the Sonic lore in order to maintain come consistency. (Maybe I'll use some plot excuse like "Shadow changed their names!" to give them better titles)

As for the G-100s (which is what I'm calling them to differentiate between the AoSTH Grounder), I've used a sprite by a certain Greg the Lion (Why can't they just give themselves normal-sounding aliases?) from TsR, who's done brilliant work with Sonic/Battle Advanced spriting. I changed the palette, however, to match more closely to the "G-100s" found in Sonic 2. I pretty much changed the hue # of the main body palette to match the original shading. So the mis-matched shading may be my own fault, or something that was just done in the original sprite. (I might have a look at that now)

Speaking of AoSTH Grounder, I heard that Shadow might have recommissioned him as well. Boss battle anyone?

I think all that G-100 (Drill guy lol) needs is bolder outlines really.

Are there any engine tests for this game? Cuz' that video is fkin' eggpawnage.

I'm hoping to get the engine completed (and release the test for it) before my winter break is over, because progress will be achingly slow when school starts up again.

Camoflogue, perhaps? They could be in "Stealth Mode" (semi-transparent outlines) and then suddenly appear while you're going by, like the drilling bots in Sonic 2.

I was thinking along the lines of that, actually, but drilling out of the ground from beneath instead.

They do have drills for hands, after all.

Eggpawns!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *breathes* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

This really isn't a major update, since the stuff being showed off is either standard for a Sonic game or something I already discussed.

This is really more for the sake of letting people know of my progress.

On a side note, Hyper Cam was being a Hyper Bitch until I lowered the recorded frame rate to 25, which is less than half of the engine's real frame rate (60 FPS).