A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Blitz: The Thread [Some Words, 06-09-08]

Sockman

I hope that's not the real music, especially that level complete speed metal thingy =S

There's a difference between technically impressive music good music.

The level music definitely isn't final, it's really just something I threw in to make level testing a bit more entertaining (I change the music loop every now and then)

That end level stuff, however, IS final, and I love it.

So...nyah! :icon_razz:

"I was thinking along the lines of that, actually, but drilling out of the ground from beneath instead. They do have drills for hands, after all."

Just use both for separate enemy types. You're going to need as many types as possible so they don't get boring fast. I really dislike it when a Sonic game only has like 3 enemies reused throughout the entire game.

I really dislike it when a Sonic game only has like 3 enemies reused throughout the entire game.

Of course, which is why I'm still including the smaller level-based badnicks ala the Genesis and Advanced games.

At the same time though, I still wanted there to be specific enemies that remain constant throughout the game to create a sense of continuity throughout the levels.

Dude thats awesome.. now you must show me how you did that grinding... Hehe grinding XD

It's pretty much what Rael said in your thread. It was actually one of the easier gimmicks

This really isn't a major update, since the stuff being showed off is either standard for a Sonic game or something I already discussed.

This is really more for the sake of letting people know of my progress.

On a side note, Hyper Cam was being a Hyper Bitch until I lowered the recorded frame rate to 25, which is less than half of the engine's real frame rate (60 FPS).

The only thing that bugs me is the grinding. It's fine except the fact that Sonic can go up at a 90 degree angle and not fall with not much speed at all. That of course wouldn't be noticeable if you started the grinding rails going down. Otherwise it was pretty sweet. Good job.

What an adventure the last half of my break has been.

A sibling spilit Coke on our internet hub, resulting in late-night stalkings of the neighborhood in order to find wireless hotspots so we can pay bills, keep in contact with family, etc.

I've still been able to continue work on PB, however, and I'm currently working on Act 1 of the first Zone. (This will be the place you'll play in in the "rough demo" release)

I'll do a fancy-ass unveiling of the zone once I get my damn internets back. (I'm currently using a library computer)

What an adventure the last half of my break has been.

A sibling spilit Coke on our internet hub, resulting in late-night stalkings of the neighborhood in order to find wireless hotspots so we can pay bills, keep in contact with family, etc.

I've still been able to continue work on PB, however, and I'm currently working on Act 1 of the first Zone. (This will be the place you'll play in in the "rough demo" release)

I'll do a fancy-ass unveiling of the zone once I get my damn internets back. (I'm currently using a library computer)

So, sounds like you had a nice break, huh?

I want this demo. Bad. So hurry up with it already! :P

UPDATE 01/05/08 "Waiter? There's Wood Zone in my Green Hill Zone? @#$% YOU!"

I know you're all really sick of lame-ass video/picture updates, and are wanting a demo.

I'm workin' on it, okay?

Anyway, here's a first look at the first zone of the game: Untitled Forest/Green Zone

(Feel free to suggest zone names)

forest2eh0.png

Yeah, it's pretty much Blue Frenzy's Trunk Valley Zone with a bit of recolored Sunset Valley chunks thrown in. But, hell, just be happy it isn't another GHZ clone.

forest1xy8.png

Probably the most prominent gimmick encountered in this level is "tree surfing", which I blatantly stole from that one Disney movie. It's also not much more than grinding with a new coat of paint. (At least it's better than putting random railings in the middle of a forest)

I'm shooting for getting this level, and the demo, finished by the end of the month. That's a worst case scenario, however, and I'm pretty sure it'll be done before hand.

Oh, and also, I've decided on a game title and made an attempt at a logo.

workingtitleqd8.png

• 2 weeks later...
That was mighty impressive. I actually had FUN playing that game, and i wish it had more than one act.

100% hoping you finsh this. Among one of the best 360 projects ive played.

btw what music is that? i liked it.

It's Eric Johnson's Cliffs Of Dover, ripped shamelessly from the Guitar Hero III soundtrack.

When I was brainstorming the first level, I wanted a nice easy level with a Green Hill vibe to ease the player into the adventure. So naturally, the music had to be very light-hearted and easy-going to match the mood I wanted to make for the level. I couldn't find anything that fit in my music collection at the time, so I put the music selection on hold while I worked on the level.

One day, though, my little sister was playing Guitar Hero III while I was doing some homework, and she suddenly started playing this song. Like a sign from a deity, I realized instantly that I had found my track.

I stopped what I was doing and downloaded the track off of LimeWire immediately went out and bought the CD legitimately, because I'm not a douche-bag. :koops:

Well, with the exception of shortness, i would say you and Skylights deliver some lasting impressions of level design over most others.

I completely agree with you on the shortness issue. Although I might not go back and extend it until I've made more progress on other parts of the game.

Hey, that was pretty good. I liked the level design, you have some great concepts in there...

though I would have done a bit more with the logs though... Like have it so if you stand on them before the water raises you were able to access somewhere else (otherwise you go up the normal way and do a dash jump to the logs...)

Also, thank you for being one of the few to allow me to stretch the game window size from barely visible to visible...