A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Blitz: The Thread [Some Words, 06-09-08]

Sockman

I've gotta admit after reading your bits about how Sonic games should focus on speed (which gave me Sonic Next flashbacks) and minimalist plot (in combination with your Shadow/Eggman storyline) had me thinking "ohbob no." Your screens however, told me otherwise. Apologies. Much.

Its not that a focus on speed is BAD during sonic games, its just that everyone who does it goes about doing it wrong.

Making it too fast, enemies in the way, too many loops, nothing to do in the stage... It requires someone with some insight on what makes a game fun to make a speed based game.

Umm, yea, I'm aware of that Serephim. However, after reading that and the fact that I don't think I've ever heard of this guy before, my initial impression was that the wrong ways to do it, which you listed, would be evident. It had a bit do with the "because it's Sonic" argument.

Oh.

Well yeah, this guy did seem to just pop up out of thin air

Okay...time for my very lame origin story.

I had actually been a barely-active member several forum-changes ago, but then that whole "Welcome back, Kotter!" thing happened at about the same time my crappy old Sonic Melee project hit a standstill.

Then, one day out of boredom, I started fudging around with MMF2, and that eventually turned into work on a Sonic fangame.

Seeking resources, I wandered back to this forum and started lurking; asking a few stupid questions about this "Sonic Worlds" thing I kept hearing about. (Up until a few weeks ago, I actually thought it was that weird 3D project that DimensionWarped was messing with for awhile)

"I don't think I'll get rid of it though, but I might make it an optional unlockable or something for replay value."

Maybe replace it with the ability to shoot energy outwards from him? It'd be as simple as a fancy-looking circular-type thing that expands in size. Could be used for clearing the screen if you have any levels or bosses teaming with enemies. Just tossing the idea out there as it'd still be Chaos-inspired and yet not completely useless.

I quite like the updates. I tend to forget about projects/think they've been canned when I'm not reminded that "hey, this is still ongoing! lookitme!" May just be me, though.

Speaking of updates, I've finished implementing water and running on said water. (Although this is something that should be REQUIRED of a decent Sonic game so it's really not update-worthy.)

I actually like your screen clear idea.

I think I might go and mess with that right now.

Sockman, you can get the newer sonic worlds build in the "gimmick contest topic" in the "worlds" subforum, if you don't know(if you want to port things, because you're already using the 1st release, right?).

I've already been doing that with some things (such as water, but the latest build didn't include drowning), but I specifically wanted to use the earliest release so I would have to do more work myself and get a better "feel" for the engine. I actually removed most of the gimmicks from the early release when I first downloaded it. (Even if I copy events from the newer version, it at least forces me to read the event commands and comments so I know what the hell I'm ripping)

I'm already using ripped graphics, music, and background tiles; I wanted, at the very least, to have SOMETHING in the game that I could call "my own" effort; even it is mostly based on someone else's engine and based on concepts from a popular game franchise. :asweatdrop:

Levels, effects, and programming (all sorts of things... gimmicks, bosses, enemies, etc) are very important aspects that you'll be doing if you continue to work on your game and I promise you, there will be no under-abundance on the work to do in those categories.

Are you and dami even working on the engine anymore?

Now THAT is the kind of programming spirit I love to see around here. <3

QFT, which is why I decided not to use worlds.

That, and there was no way I was gonna move to another engine after I killed myself making the original one.

I hate MMF, that should answer your question.

Lol, no I see this as a good thing now, maybe people will contribute more to the engine and do stuff for themselves instead of waiting for others to do it for them.

I've spent the past few days cramming in various gimmicks/items into the engine.

swinghq3.gif

Weeee!

I'm considering sending in a few of these gimmicks to that gimmick contest once I clean up the events so people have a vague idea of what I've done.

(Currently I have various events tossed about all alone outside the event groups, and the groups have various informative names like "Sonic is a pole-dancing slut")

Although I might have to take a bit of a break because of work, and a paper about Roe V Wade I have to write.

Ew.

Oh god, I feel a perturbation in the force. Sockman, I hope you did use the same structure for gimmicks as the ones built-in...

For the most part, yes.

I'm currently reorganizing all of the events I've added to cut down on time spent scrolling through the entire engine just to find a single command.

Don't worry.

If I ever submit anything, I'll make sure the structure is nice and clean.

I'm really liking the looks of this and hating it at the same time. Not really but if it was a competition I would be. I mean I'm working on a new game since I wanted to learn worlds. AND NO I am not canning the others. The Blaze game is becoming a side scrolling adventure game. And SBU is being update as always since its online. But my new game a few of the features seem similar to others and it happened without me even thinking about them. Like the fact you can unlock elemetnal cores that will effect your moves if you have a shield. Damn you Streak and your shields.... But Back on topic. I'm loving this game. Your a like master level designer dude.

( btw why did you change Dare to this other song :[ )

As wonderful as the Junior Sanchez remix of DARE was, most anyone will get completely sick of a song after hearing it while testing an engine 740918730289 times.

I pretty much make a short loop version of something chosen randomly from my Creative Zen and set it as the song.

The one playing now, a loop of Guns N Roses' Paradise City, is actually fairly fitting for the level, since the whole lyrical concept of a "Paradise City" is a complete contrast to the gritty, polluted, Chemical Plant-esque city Sonic is exploring.

But I am working on the REAL music for the game, though. Right now I'm actually trying to put together a DARE/Metropolis Zone remix, which is quite an undertaking for me since I have no musical/DJ/mixing experience whatsoever.

I'm really liking the looks of this and hating it at the same time. Not really but if it was a competition I would be. I mean I'm working on a new game since I wanted to learn worlds. AND NO I am not canning the others. The Blaze game is becoming a side scrolling adventure game. And SBU is being update as always since its online. But my new game a few of the features seem similar to others and it happened without me even thinking about them. Like the fact you can unlock elemetnal cores that will effect your moves if you have a shield. Damn you Streak and your shields.... But Back on topic. I'm loving this game. Your a like master level designer dude.

"Blaze game"?

Wait a sec...

Are you that guy on YouTube who keeps asking for the engine?

It's not going to help you much, really. It's pretty much the Worlds beta engine with substituted sprites. If you used mine, you'd be ripping off a rip-off of another engine.

I encourage you to just start with the Worlds engine and implement your own ideas yourself, your project will not only be more unique, but you will gain a better understanding of the engine as you work.

The Chaos explosion thing seems to take to long to charge. I would think it'd be used as like a final resort type thing when there are a ton of enemies, in which case charging that would take too long. Boom Boots are interesting.

If you noticed, everything slowed down because the Flame Object can be a memory whore, and Hyper Cam just couldn't handle all the love.

With that said, there is some charging time which I purposely implemented for two reasons.

1. If for whatever rare reason you trigger the attack by accident, you can cancel (by keeping Fire B unpressed) before it starts sucking your rings.

2. The attack is not so easy to use that it replaces your other attack techniques like good ol' jumping and rolling, Sonic Wind, Twister Kick, and Slide Kick.

"Blaze game"?

Wait a sec...

Are you that guy on YouTube who keeps asking for the engine?

It's not going to help you much, really. It's pretty much the Worlds beta engine with substituted sprites. If you used mine, you'd be ripping off a rip-off of another engine.

I encourage you to just start with the Worlds engine and implement your own ideas yourself, your project will not only be more unique, but you will gain a better understanding of the engine as you work.

OH Heavens no. I am not the guy on youtube. I'm just saying a few people think I am ripping off Streak and now it could be you as well. Because My shields have an effect in the game besides the double jump dash and bounce stuff.

I've already taken worlds and adding tons of stuff for my game I've learned about the worlds engine to.

Hmm... You probably won't tell me but how in the hell do you do that amazing fire effect?

http://www2.create-games.com/download.asp?id=6857

I simply used the Flame Extension, which is as easy as setting up a single event and selecting the "Set Object On Fire" command.

However, all the download links I've been looking at are dead, so I might upload my copy of the extension. (Which I think is okay, since it isn't a Bonus Pack extension)