A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Mayhem Re-launched.

Amesuki

I've re-defined the spikes, and taken out the black part, so they looked more curved. After Lark pointed it out, I began to notice yeah it did look like Sonic had a haircut =P

Anyway 'ere a picture, and I wonder what zone this is based off... Yeah, that means the Death Egg is in the 8bit game. =P This is just a small mock up, (all the tiles/lib is done, but the layout of the level isnt.)

Anyway which background do you think is better?

LaunchStationZone.pngEgglaunchback1.png

-Egg Launch Zone-

I'm re-doing the engine, I'm taking out the 360 movement. Why? Because after playing and playing the GG titles, they don't actually really use 360 movement like the genesis titles does. Sonic doesn't tilt when running down a slope in GG games. So I'm doing this in mine =P

=Amesuki=

Loops in TGF with or without the 360o engine are just buggy and takes too much resources up. I'll be mimicking loops like in the Game Gear that are near enough pre-defined. Not meaning it shall be path movement, because it wont, it just wont be "free-flowing".

Actually scrap it, I really cannot be bothered to work on a new engine. LOL.

• 6 months later...

FINALLY! The ultimate engine for Sonic Mayhem has been built! All in TGF aswell. Mhahahahahaha!

Sorry for that over n00bish post but it was needed. Oh yes, last few days I came back to Mayhem because I felt I really need to finish this old dog. Going on twoish years now I've lost engines, built many and finally got one that is just yum.

Featuring, loops, platforms, badniks, bosses, shield all the general jazz all from TGF. Secondly I feel it mimics the Game Gear games rather well, from the sluggish frame rate to the odd physics. Yes finally I can go about creating the actual levels.

I've also made a quick level for you to lot to test out. Granted it still does need some minor bugs ironing but it's mostly all there.

(Press 1 for original screen size. Press 2 for a X2 size and Press 3 for a X4 size)

Level.png

Turquoise Gardens Zone

Anyway hope ya like it, have fun and keep Game Gearing...cheesy ending I know.

Edit: Sorry for the delay guys on this game. It's been a busy year with starting university, exams and life in general. Anyway to make up, hope ya enjoy the demo!

*btw I know theres a lil bug where you can do a slight spindash in the air. I forgot to reinclude the counter so ignore that >.< and order the shield correctly. Oops)

From what I played, it isn't too bad. Looks great and all, really like the game gear, but the overall engine has it's odds and evens.

There's no skidding, meaning I have no way of stopping faster from turns. It's surprisingly hard to even run up a half pipe. I can kill enemies even after I JUMP FROM A SPRING, and I loose my shield even though I hit a Badnik with a SPIN JUMP, and the spindash is far too weak.

I only want you to consider working with all I mentioned there, and only then will I say It's just like a Game Gear Sonic game.

Righty, I think I've managed to get all those bugs you've listed. Thanks for helping me beta test, been really helpful. Anyway I've replayed Sonic Chaos, and I've modeled it off that. I've added skidded (I know the animation is the wrong way around but you'll live). Badnik problem has been solved as well as the spindash. Anyway please try this new version and see if its better?

Turquoise Gardens Demo

Thankies

-Amesuki

Pretty cool and fun overall, and the level design is suitable if underwhelming. Two details I noticed, which may or may not be intentional:

- If you start charging a spindash on a collapsible bridge and it falls away from beneath you, you continue charging and can release it while falling, sending you forward.

- If you jump while rolling, you will still be rolling when you land.

Thanks for your comments, they have all been really useful. I've managed to fix most of the bugs, granted there are still some small ones but overall its nothing to worry about. (Nearer completion and release I'll polish them up.). Anyway I'm gunna, I mean, I will, 100% deffo beffo jeffo WILL release it at SAGE 2010. Im gunna make it one of my lifetime goals. I shall break a trend of SAGE only releasing demos and actually get one out on time. (unless 2009 had one, but I was too busy to check SAGE this year :( ).

@ Blue Frenzy: The difference is that the first one had some bugs with the spindash and the second corrects most of them. :)

@ V' CLM: The level design is a bit bland yes. The level art isn't even going to be in the game it was just something I had lying around. I'm hoping the first level "Neo Turquoise" to have a look just like my old "Forest Shores". Although I'm not there yet in designing that.

Right, some pictures of some levels, it's not all of them but its a few.

TurquoiseGarden.png - (Still needs alot of work)

cARNVIAl.png - (How the hud shall be from now on)

ERzone.png - Old mock up (level graphics are being used) (Sprite isn't being used)

SkyBabylon.png - (8-bit version of Sky Babylon)

Also there is a small zone list here. (Granted it doesn't tell you every level or shows pictures for every level :P)

Anyway I'm glad to pick this old dog back up and heal it back to life. :P Needs to completed now, its dragged on too long.

-Amesuki

Very impressive. This could easily be a lost game in the Sonic & Tails series. Even though you're purposely channeling the crappyness of the 8 bit Sonic engines, this one plays really well and changing Sonic's direction isn't a real chore. The only thing I have to say is that the spin-dash would be a little nicer if you charged it like the 16 bit games. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in the 8 bit games anyway...

@Yoda: Actually the spindash in the old games is totally different to the spindash in 16bit games. Its hard to explain but how it's controlled when launched and how it stops is odd. In S&T(1) you can launch a spindash and aslong as you don't jump you can get to one end of the level to the other continuly spindashing. I've hopefully mimic'd it but yeah it's kinda sucky but those games engines were too. :(. The skidding has been changed, that was just a silly fault of me doing the sprites wrong way around. The only issues I need to address is, looking up and down and skidding. (He rolls in a ball if you skid under a certain speed).

Righty, I'm just going to show you these six screenshots because thats it. No more. (I might release one of the Special Stages and some bosses but that'll be in a whiles time.) These are the first six levels in the game. The rest of the levels shall be a surprise! He he. ( I know you've seen some already but I'm just showing you the levels in order with the new pictures added in aswell :P)

Neo Turquoise Zone

NeoTurquoiseZone.png

Carnival Night Zone

cARNVIAl.png

Aquapolis Zone

Aquapolis.png

Egg Ruins Zone

ERzone.png

Aero Babylon Zone

SkyBabylon.png

Winter Crisis Zone

WinterCrisisZone.png

I'm also adding another surprise to all of the levels but I'm not going to tell you what it is, but trust me its something new to the GG world of Sonic.

Secondly this game is only going to star Sonic and Robotnik. Yes I know what about Tails and Knuckles...Well to be honest I couldn't care less about them. It's going to be old skool and that means getting rid of some characters then so be it. Originally it was going to take place after Triple Trouble but instead it's going to take place straight after the first Sonic for GG/SMS. Yep that means your going to see the Sky Base crashing down onto a new Island :).

Thirdly after much thought I'm not going to include Super Sonic in it. Sad I know but I'm really going to make it like a Game Gear game so it's going to be a no no to Mr. Super Sonic. HOWEVER...I am including something special if you collect all the five Emeralds in the special stages. (Five you say?) Indeed because GG only usually got you collecting only five and Robotnik had the sixth. But isn't there seven Chaos Emeralds? No not in the GG world there isn't.

Finally, thank you for posting the video and Mayhem stuff on TSS. Very happy about that! Indeed I must then get this completed and get some real retroness onto the internets.

-Amesuki

Thirdly after much thought I'm not going to include Super Sonic in it. Sad I know but I'm really going to make it like a Game Gear game so it's going to be a no no to Mr. Super Sonic. HOWEVER...I am including something special if you collect all the five Emeralds in the special stages. (Five you say?) Indeed because GG only usually got you collecting only five and Robotnik had the sixth. But isn't there seven Chaos Emeralds? No not in the GG world there isn't.

Hey, It doesn't mean you have to stick with the rules. If the GG games were like that, your fangame doesn't have to be. Sonic 1 had 6 emeralds, and Sonic 2 had 7, so think about it. Doing what the genesis games(because most of the fangames are based on the originals) didn't do (and in your case, doing what the Game Gear sonic games didn't do) is what makes fangames and rom hacks unique.

That aside, I enjoyed your demo, the development seems to be going really well too. It's much better than the first version and it really feels like a game gear game. Everything else that I could say has already been said.

• 1 year later...

It's been a year. A year of madness to be quite honest, so much has happened I completely forgot about this game...until Sonic Colors came out and re-rocked my world of Sonic. =)

So I've decided to finish it, wrap it up and give it some love.

I'm not debugging the engine because to be honest I can't be bothered. For example rolling is a bit off, (although it's close to GG's games) there isn't skidding and the camera doesn't look up or down.

(I've debugged it, I couldn't help myself. He now skids, it rolls near enough like a Game Gear styled game and he looks up and down :P)

I have stuck to my guns and it's still been made in TGF1 :P

Anyways. Just to show it isn't utterly dead, 'ere is a nice video of a 8bit take of Starlight Carnival. <3 (I havn't got around to making the 8bit music of it yet :P)

And 'eres some pictures if you can't view the video:

SLP1.png

I'm hoping to finish it before christmas, or just after but I might hold onto it and release it at next years SAGE. (Or I might make a new one for it, I really don't know atm)

Anyway hope ye likes,

-Amesuki