A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Mayhem Re-launched.

Amesuki

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great little demo, love the throwback to 8 bit Sonic gaming. The graphical style and control is spot on, shame you're using an old version of TGF (correct me if I'm wrong) cause this could really benefit from some loops to spice the stages up a little bit. Otherwise a solid start, hope to see more soon.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for like long delays in posts. =(. Just to say this isn't cancelled...however all my work in the chase engine has been lost AGAIN! It's annoying, plus on top with college work and exams, I didnt have time to rebuild it.

But now I have, and its better than ever. Still being designed in TGF, it now features 8Axis movement, that mimics Game Gear pretty well. Old skool looks, (like the HUD and Sonic sprite). Also I've got 8bit/16bit music produced as well. I'll upload more screenies tomorrow, and prolly a playable demo soon. (Cause its like 1AM 'ere and I need sleep now).

Anyway 'eres the new and HOPEFULLY final look of the game. If all goes well, it should be finished by SAGE2009 if your having one.

Piccy:

AerialCrisisZone.png

Aerial Crisis

-Amesuki

Man, I'm so in love with this game. I love the graphics, you're great at pulling different things together to look original.

I'm sure you can still show your fan game off at SAGE? Isn't it about Sonic Fan Gaming in general? I'm not fussed about winning or entering for awards, I just like my game played =P

Don't mind them, they're just making jokes about how no one ever finishes anything :awink: We are having a SAGE 2009, and it'll be around the same time as every year (July/August).

DEMO! Latest Demo out!

Here is a demo of Aerial Crisis Zone, just one level. I havn't finished on designing the level intro or ending score thing yet, so I havn't included that. (Also with main titles ect ect.)

Anyway, it's a bit buggy...it was made on TGF, and then ported to MMF2 just to help with sound problems and more smoothness.

SHIFT = JUMP

ARROWS = MOVE

1 = Windowed

2= Fullscreen

(The Fan, when hopping on the fans, press jump to jump extra high)

DEMO HERE: Click me

Also for an extra treat...'eres act one music for a level titled Egg Ruins:

MUSIC: Click me

Hope you enjoy playing ^_^

(Edit: I know there still buggy issues, like rings over hud and the spindash. They will be fixed and worked at before the next demo release)

(Edit 2: I have a you tube video of this level if you want to look at it:

)

-Amesuki

Awesome, nice to see this isn't dead.

About the new demo. So you decided to move to a 360º engine?

the level is long.. although it has only one path to go and seems a bit empty at some parts of it.

Also, sometimes when you get hit by the spikes, you see two Sonics(one over the other).

Well I tried it out, and I'll be honest and say that I was more impressed than I thought I was going to be.

I've never played the GG sonic games, so I can't say if the physics match that or not, but I can say that they felt stable and as if I was in control rather than the other way around. The level design was pretty nice too, and even if it was pretty much a single straight-forward path, it still managed to be quite satisfying.

Great stuff Amesuki; looks like there will be a project out there that I'll be keeping my eye on. ;>

Btw, I noticed that the rolling sound only plays when I roll to the left; that and it should probably last at slower speeds since sometimes it feels like it ends too quickly. ( Caused me to get hit by a badnik I was expecting to plow through. )

I wouldn't say that I liked it. Level design is very bad. I don't remember that many death pits in game gear sonic.

But actually I feel like playing gg game.

You should change your level design, improve spindash and add those cool feature from Sonic triple trouble. I mean when you jump on spring you don't turn into ball so enemies can hurt you, but you can spin for a few seconds if you press jump in midair.

P.S. And there must be Nack and Metal Sonic. I love them))

Thanks for your comments. They have helped me re-design the engine and working out the bugs much easier.

The spindash needs some work, which I'm working on at the moment, along with some sound bugs.

This level wont be in the final game, it was constructed in a matter of hours at a very bored college to test out the engine. (I was that bored in college...) The levels will be shorter like the GG games and layout shall sport Sonic & Tails/2 type levels. Although granted it will be buggy because the code is actually been done on TGF, and the 360o engine for TGF is a bit naff compared to say the Worlds engine. (Still good for TGF though) (big rep for the peeps who made the 360 engine in TGF will be credited in final release or proper demo releases for helping me understand 360 engines a hell of a lot more.)

The whole 35/25 level thing is a bit stupid looking back on it now after growing up. This game shall have roughly 14 levels, and has a storyline similar to S3&K style. (No stupid dialouge). I'll hopefully have all the bugs ironed out soon, and hopefully be well on it way to being released at this years SAGE...SHOCK HORROR (apprently...I havnt been here in a long time...)

-Amesuki

(EDIT: Fixed Spindash and fixed speed issues ect ect) (Not in current demo thou)

(EDIT2: A new website is up: Clicketh Here)

You should keep that level in the final game, even if as hidden zone or something like, as you already have most of the graphics for it. You only have to improve level design etc. based on what we said. And about the 35/25 levels you were planning to do, you can always do a sonic mayhem 3 after finishing this, containing the zones you were planning to do for the final game.

@Zenor: The level will be in the game, just that act wont. The level layout will be totally different. (Will resemble to play like Sleeping Egg Zone)

Small update. Currently I'm working on loops, (yes thats right, hopefully TGF will have loops ^_^) If it doesn't work, then screw it, it'll be Sonic2GG type loops. (yeah like pre-defined paths ect ect.) We have water, zoomtubes and other related gimmicks working. yay.

Anyway 'ere is some pictures of the title screen, Turquoise Gardens and Winter Limits. (The Trees in Winter Limits have now been changed to Igloos =P)

Pictures:

TitleSM.png

TurquoiseGardensZone.png

WinterLimitsZone.png

-Amesuki

I'm a real sucker for ice levels, and that, my friend, is beginning to look very nice. I kinda like how the trees (igloos) defy gravity, too. :D

Also, love that title screen (did you make those Sonic and Tails sprites?), but maybe you should put that "2" off to the side of "Mayhem" so it's not blocking Tails' face.

Thanks for your crit, I've been trying to move the screen around but it always looks mis-centered. So it calls for me to make my own title screen.

Because of this being a new chapter of the GG storyline (this game will take place straight after Triple Trouble =P) I felt I needed to make new GG sprites.

And 'ere it is:

newSonicsprite2.png

And this is to compare against all GG sprites.

NewSonicSprite.png

His face needs a lil tweaking, but the overall look is there.

Anyway what do you think, shall I keep with the triple trouble sprites or use my own sprite?

-Amesuki

(EDIT: Loops doesn't like to work in TGF, so we'll be seeing the likes of Loops featured in Sonic 2 GG...crap and naff)

Anyway what do you think, shall I keep with the triple trouble sprites or use my own sprite?

-Amesuki

I do like your sprite (A LOT) but it seems so similar to the T.T. sprites that I do not believe it would be worth the effort to go through and create another sheet for somthing similar.

If you feel that you could do it in a timely manner then by all means go ahead and sprite, it just seems like a lot of work is all

I tried to mix Chaos' and T.T's sprites together. As you can see the head is Chaos' but with the body of T.T. 'Eres some of the sprites I been doing since my post. The walking legs are just taken from T.T. These are rough, the ones I have ported into TGF are alot more re-fined. (The jump is just T.T's, was no point in doing another jump animation when they all look the same)

GGspritesmine.png

(Sorry about the transparent thingie, its to stop lurkers stealing my sprites.)

-Amesuki

(Thanks for your comments btw)

I think that the one or two extra pixels in height will make it easier for Sonic to get hit by something...

I'm fairly sure Amesuki's engine uses a mask for collisions, in which case the size of the sprite itself wouldn't make a difference in determining the area of collisions.

@Amesuki: I'm sorry, but the spines in the new sprite just look strange to me; too clustered up and lacking curve. It makes me think Sonic got a hair cut or something. If you like the way it looks though, I'll just suck it up since it's not that big of a deal.