A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the hedgehog:Emerald Chaos: STARTING FROM SCRATCH

sonic101

You'll all be happy to know I fixed the ram leak problem. Well enough I hope, it used to use about 420 to 450 megs of ram, pretty much mooting chances of playing the game with a pc that has less than 512 ram. Now it runs around 250 to 290...I'm still running through the code to see if I can't find anymore resource whoring problems.

And now that I've calmed down a bit I'm not canning the game, however slingerland your post was just down right mean, hurtful and way to harsh.

Anyone can see my game isn't anywhere near perfect, and it certainly doesn't meet up with today's fan gaming high standards, with that being said even if it did lock up your pc, and have a horrible load time, all and all screaming and hollering at it's creater whomever it maybe (talking in-general here) is completely uncalled for. Even if the game wreaks of n00bish mistakes and errors abound, not everyone has the level of skill with programming as you or damizean or whomever you wanna reference, and blowing up on them is a good way to have even more people leave these forums. This isn't the first hostile situation to boil out of the pot here on the forums, and some people have already left becuase they get tired of getting the "OMGWTFBBQ YOURDEHN00B)RZHAHAHAIRTEHL337" treatment.

You need to learn to control your rage man, use some tact. If you don't want to point out ways to fix the problems thats fine, no big deal the problem will eventualy meet a solution on it's own with some effort and elbow greese. And if your post was harsh becuase that sign of you in the game was offencive I already mentioned before it isn't making fun of you but the game's development, it's making fun of itself and I did say if it offends you then just ask and I'd remove it.. Wether you want to beleive it or not I look up to people like you slingerland and damizean and AeroGP ect. you guys can do things with code I can't even fathom half of.

And to say that this game hasn't improved at all is not only dissing me but anyone that has ever helped me with it, commented on it, critisized it or even looked at it, these forums over the past year have been an immense influence on this game.

if it weren't for the members here my game would be a SHIT LOAD worse then it is now.

Thanks to AeroGP I learned about object deactivation, which helped free up lots of resources in the game and make it run more smoothly, Real0505 and larkSS commenting on my level design and helping me make levels with more gimmics, the loads of people pointing out so many glitches I lost count that I've tried to fix the majority of(still along list yet). These forums helped me input wall jumping, how to reset stages with out loosing the positions and data held by enemies and secret tokens and rings ect. Improve my level design, some have even helped me rewrite the dialogue of the characters to make them sound more like their sonic team counterparts.

And the list of improvements that continually get forgotten about goes on and on. Theres a long ways to go yet and I'm perfectly aware of that.

But still. just plain uncalled for. That's all I have to say. I'd prefer to carry on from here without a flame war or arguement and just agree to let it go.

As for the game, Again I state I have managed to fix a large amout of the ram leaks and I'm still looking to see if I can find any more.

I'll upload another version when I feel there enough new content and fixes to warrent it until then if anyone can get the current version to run, you can level jump by hitting the HOME key to ender debug mode(with in the game) and pressing 0 - 6 on the numpad to skip levels, and hit the END key to exit debug mode. if you should find any more glitches please let me know so I can adress them for the next release.

You need to learn to control your rage man, use some tact. If you don't want to point out ways to fix the problems thats fine, no big deal the problem will eventualy meet a solution on it's own with some effort and elbow greese. And if your post was harsh becuase that sign of you in the game was offencive I already mentioned before it isn't making fun of you but the game's development, it's making fun of itself and I did say if it offends you then just ask and I'd remove it..

I responded to your sign already in my "omg I'm a super mean guy and the worst person ever" post and I said it was fine.

As for tact? You cannot expect me to be in a good mood after having my computer lock up numerous times only to be greeted by load screens that lock up my computer again. If I overstepped my bounds...whatever...that's how I am and nobody said anything to stop me.

And to say that this game hasn't improved at all is not only dissing me but anyone that has ever helped me with it, commented on it, critisized it or even looked at it, these forums over the past year have been an immense influence on this game.

But...I played the SAGE demo and this and they were nearly identical.

I'd prefer to carry on from here without a flame war or arguement and just agree to let it go.

<3

Nah, man...the game locked up in the first level and just the whole experience just made me close the application.

Anyway, now that I've gotten some sleep after staying up for 3 straight days working on a giant fucking model for tech theatre, I can say that I'd be glad to help you in anyway possible, sonic101. Sadly, since you are using the GM, I will be unable to assist with programming.

people compare to much on this forum, thats why hardly anyone actually finishes a game they started. PROVE THEM WRONG!

Yeah...I'd shut up.

Well here's a new release bare in midn the ONLY CHANGES are some fixes to ram usage. it still uses a fair bit but I got it down from 490/500ish to around 230 to 250ish in ram usage, please tell me if this runs any better now on anyone's pc. Also you can jump levels by entering debug mode via hitting the "home" key and pressing 0-6 on the numpad, hit end to exit debug.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M21XFX9Z

• 2 weeks later...

Well this may be kind of sudden but I've decided to start from scratch.

This version has way to many bugs and too many n00bish mistakes, not to mention its HUGE.

Effectively today I'm starting again from scratch and hoping to have a much more solid and clean engine to work with.

Firstly however I'm having trouble with wall jumping ( I can hear you guys cringing lol) in that the collision detection with the wall object is wonky due to sonic's accelleration.

So I'm going to post the new engines source here and hopefully someone can help me out. Take a look and leave a message here if you will, or email or catch me on msn, rep points given of course.

• Like 1

Well this may be kind of sudden but I've decided to start from scratch.

This version has way to many bugs and too many n00bish mistakes, not to mention its HUGE.

I salute you for making that decision, it must be tough to start over and it's a great sign of taking in criticism and help.

Rep up!

I would help you, but I'm not familiar with GM. However, AeroGP, Damizean and a few others are pros in it, you should ask them for help if you need it.

I showed the new source to AeroGP and he was to tired to make sense of it and we got no where but I do think I've fixed a few problems, Rael you'll be happy to know deacceleration is now in, and slingerland will be happy to know that the tiles arent strectched this time, infact the whole resolution went down, now running on 320x240 rather then 800x600.

I'm working on making wall jumping work properly now, and then I'll be working on all the other gimics and interactives that were in the previous build.

All though I'm sure AeroGP would disagree, I think my engine is much more cleaner now aswell though I'll have to streamline a tad bit more later down the road.

On a possitive note it only uses 12 megs ram now lol. I'll be loading the music externally this time aswell.

Here's hoping this start-over works out. Unfortunatly I couldn't make much sense of the 360 engine so this'll be using modified platform movement again but a little less wonky this time at least.

Any tips or tricks or anyone that want's to help me making this thing work out is more than welcome too!

sonic101, I'm passing by the same situation about the engine, I had 2 years of work on the old one, but that got too big, confusing and sucked. I hope you don't give up from this project, and... make an executable, I don't have GM7.

sonic101, I'm passing by the same situation about the engine, I had 2 years of work on the old one, but that got too big, confusing and sucked. I hope you don't give up from this project, and... make an executable, I don't have GM7.

I'm not giving up, no way in hell 0.0.

I'm making good progress I think, here Have a test build.

There's no sound just yet. I'm worrying more about making the engine work properly first. Then I'll add all that fancy stuff. I borrowed some code from the xmas gift pack with some sonic dash engine in it for the paralexing background, but I dont want to rip off someone elses work to much so That's as much as I'm going to take. I liked where I was going with the old build so I will use somethign similar to that with better physics hopefully.

Give it a go and see how it works for you, hit F1 for controls and stuff.

and heres a mega upload if the forums download is crappy for you

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MEVNZ4T1

Okay still in engine building stages

NEW TO THIS BUILD

-------------------

* Tails following you around

* A badnik

* 2 power up items to give you wall jumping and the ring buster guage

( ring buster not functional yet)

* Added the token, ring buster guage and emerals counter to the HUD

* Externally loaded BGM

* The homing attack, although simply jumping on enemies also works (that should make you all happy)

* Respawning rings, item boxs and badniks.

* Horizontal moving platform, can't get the hang of vertical just yet

The resource count?

-------------------

*FPS seem's steady at 30 fps ( intended fps)

*Ram usage hasn't gone above 30 megs but fluctuates depending on what BGM I'm using at the time

* CPU usage never went above 16%

I think I'm doing good so far what do you guys think?

The executable is about 3 megs and with the BGM file included it'll be close to 4 megs. That's not so bad eh?

Also please note the tiles used in this build are only temperay and will be neatened up a bit and wont be as blurry when actual level building begins.

Screenie showing debug info

screenie-1.png

It's annoying how the timer makes a noise as it keeps going up. Also I think acceleration is a little high because it's too easy to change directions in the air. Collisions seem kind of wonky too.

Better though. Good job adding deceleration.

Edit: Also work on animations.

You know, thats pretty unplayable.

The problem Rael isn't that the acceleration is too high, its that there is no concept of velocity in the game, only speed. Turning to the left in midair instantaneously shifts your speed to the exact same point only in the other direction. In short, its an instantaneous impulse and feels very sloppy.

It's annoying how the timer makes a noise as it keeps going up. Also I think acceleration is a little high because it's too easy to change directions in the air. Collisions seem kind of wonky too.

Better though. Good job adding deceleration.

Edit: Also work on animations.

The timer doesnt make any sound, that's the sound that should be replaced by the "tutorial" bgm music found in the the same folder as the executable, it works fine for me I dont know why it doesnt play the tuturial music file in the folder then...

Also which animations are you refering to?

You know, thats pretty unplayable.

The problem Rael isn't that the acceleration is too high, its that there is no concept of velocity in the game, only speed. Turning to the left in midair instantaneously shifts your speed to the exact same point only in the other direction. In short, its an instantaneous impulse and feels very sloppy.

I haven't added in slowing down yet when pushing opposite directions though I do intend to work on that.

Okay have another one.

New this time around

----------------------

-redid the way things respawn fixing a few glitches that made it unplayable

-Added a puase menu

-Added a title screen

-Game over screen

-Push block gimic

-Goal ring and score tally system

-A minor fix for instantanious accelleration(shouldn't do that), hopefully that works...this can later be used to do skiddin I think...

-second test stage to make sure objects respawned properly

-save and load feature

Things to work on

----------------

- need a damage system

- add rolling

- add spin dashing

- fix some collision bugs

- velocity in changing directions

give it a shot and see if you can find anything I missed

improvement, but your engine still ignores the laws of physics.

Forgot which property it is (Inertia or Velocity, or both, dunno), but you cant be going a certian speed in one direction and just completely swich and go the opposite.

Your sonic engine is lacking physics, and thats really the main problem.

That, and a few collision problems still exist. However i cant really help you, because i dont use Gamemaker.

improvement, but your engine still ignores the laws of physics.

Forgot which property it is (Inertia or Velocity, or both, dunno), but you cant be going a certian speed in one direction and just completely swich and go the opposite.

Your sonic engine is lacking physics, and thats really the main problem.

That, and a few collision problems still exist. However i cant really help you, because i dont use Gamemaker.

A lot of people keep mentioning that but I'm not sure of what is being spoken of, are you referencing lack of slowing down when switching directions?

Never studied physics. I asked AeroGP how I would go about doing that and he said just subract a number from the x position of the character when hitting to opposite direction, how ever all I got from doing that was a simple animation jerk and a pretty much instantaneous speed boost... I'm not entirely sure how to do it properly But I'd like to fix it before moving on to adding anything else.. ..

I can post the coding on here for moving and if anyone wants to help me fix it I'm all ears.