A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic and the Secret Rings - Official Discussion

Slingerland

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that really it? I though it was more like...

Its a dino!

In the jungle!

Its a dino!

And then some freaky bastardization of the tarzan yell that sorta sounds like

Orry wigga ooh wa! All together and really fast.

---

Holy snap, I just got a move called Mega Quick Step (which is the 3rd form of quickstep/high quickstep)

And now I can get from the left side of any track to the right side and then back to the left side at a rate of about 10 hz.

Hey...does S&tSR remind anyone elso of that Sonic tech demo for the DS? The one they showed right when the DS first came out? You moved the cursor across the screen to move sonic and pick up rings. It would be neat if they actually made a game like that for DS.

Finnally beat the game. I give the game a 7.9 out of ten. I'll write a review for GameFaqs eventaully. Anywho, the message during the end credits leads me to believe another Secret Rings game might happen.

Duckboy, you're the only person I've seen whose got so much negative to say about this game. 9.9

Spazz: I'm in and out. :)

Phoenix: All I've heard has been good. *shrug* Except for Duckboy, of course. ;P

I've heard mixed things about the game. IGN (who, IMO, occasionally gives games scores which they just fail to justify reasonably ::coughKH2cough::) gave it a 6.9 for having poor camera angles and flawed mechanics half the time.

Anyway, I've heard a fair amount of negative things about this game. But, in addition to me liking the premise quite a lot, the general consensus is that it's still the best 3D Sonic game, if not ever then at least that's come out since the Dreamcast. That's not saying much, but I still plan on getting it eventually. Maybe not at full price, though.

Got the game last Friday, Hamleys had Sonic and AiAi patrol the store to celebrate the release of the game in the UK, so I was attacked by those two when I went to collect my copy, good times good times.

Anyway after a few good hours at playing it, this has now probably become my second favourite Wii game out there, okay I have only like, Twilight Princess, Money Ball and this, so I know that doesn't mean much XD few controlling issues, but that could just be me tilting the Wii controller a bit too much.

The missions don't seem too bad or as frustrating as I thought they'd be (heck, I'm someone who enjoyed getting AAA on Outrun 2006 coast to coast!) I could probably niggle that they should have made the camara go behind Sonic when he started walking backwards (but heck, I just walked passed that, so one should be able to remember, still would have been nice) but overall I've enjoyed the experience, falling somwhere between a 7 or 8 with me, and I'm going back for me!~ I'll probably do a proper review when I can be bothered

Also I love the songs Rumblebee did for this game, especially "Unawakening Float" and "It has come to This" ^-^

Frankly, I hate how out of control you are. There are points when i just have to turn the Wii off because I feel like I am playing a game that a total retard could play because the path-movement is used so much.

I do think it has really enjoyable moments and during the times when you get more control are really neat.

It's certainly not the GREATEST game, but if you can't enjoy this game, you are a pretentious fuck.

Also I love the songs Rumblebee did for this game, especially "Unawakening Float" and "It has come to This" ^-^

Oh yeah, the "It has come to this" boss fight was the best. I've been looking for that MP3 since I heard it.

Duckboy took it too far. Lolololololololol. I agree that if you cannot find anything at all to like about this game, something's wrong with you. It's not the best game in the world, but it has many moments that make me not sell it.

Also, greemotes. Nah, I'm just kiddin'.

I'm loving this game despite missions not being as optional as I'd hoped. There was no reason to force the player to play the training section. Although it helped me learn, I was ready to jump into the game and the training section was ridiculously boring. That may have been one of the things to turn Duckboy off to the game. I don't know.

Once I got in a level, I started enjoying myself. I think it's going to take a bit to get used to controlling Sonic in this manner but it's nothing to fuss about.

So my dad and I got the game yesterday. It has its ups and downs. When it works, it's a total blast. When it doesn't, I want to stick a spoon in my ear to take my mind off of the pain that assults me from my TV. Either, I'm deftly moving left and right, cheating death as I go, or I'm repeating the same stupid section over and over again.

For instance, the Pirate stage has you jumping, then you need to jump cancel just right so that you can land on a tiny floating crate, then charge another jump. Or how about that section in skeleton dome where you're on thin platforms and need to make careful jumps, then you come to an area where you NEED H-Extend to just barely home in on the 3 floating skull guys (I had about half of a second to home in on the guy. Imagine playing for about 8 minutes, and realizing that you don't have the right skill equipped)

Also, those cannonballs the crab shoot are fricken' lame. They pull a Looney Toons because they shoot off screen, then the crosshairs will follow you around a little instead of, say, going in a pattern, or obeying physics.

Also, I wish I had more control over Sonic's speed. I initially thought tilting the controller foward controlled how fast he was accellerating, but in actuality, all I could do was make him break, do a retarded strut backwards, or watch him run. Let's just take the gas pedels out of cars so we can just go 150MPH every fucking time I want to go get eggs or something.

Also, lame missions are lame. Less "avoid the rings", more "finish the level" please.

Aside from those complaints, I have been enjoying the game pretty often. I just got to the final world (one last complaint: the game's too short) and it was really sick (and by then, I finally got used to the game.) I like how they break up the action with surfing and stuff.

One teeny favor: someone explain to me how the fuck I switch rails when grinding: Sonic always goes in the opposite direction, no matter what I do (shake left, sonic goes right. Shake right, sonic goes left. Then I try left again and he actually goes left. WTF?)