A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic and the Secret Rings - Official Discussion

Slingerland

OK, the release/shipping date is upon us and we know what that means: us playing Sonic and the Secret Rings all day, then running back here to give our impressions of the game. Let's lay down some rules for civil discussion:

1) Prop 21 is in full effect and has been amended to include Secret Rings by vote of SFGHQ congress. If this game turns out to be the suck, I ask...no...command you to refrain from excessive whining, bitching, or superfluous use of capital letters. Now...if you want to use capital letters to express your joy, go right ahead, but don't make it your entire post.

2) Contribute something to the conversation. Simple one-liner posts are not cool. "This gaim sux" or "THIS GAIM IZ AW3Z0M3" is unnecessary.

3) Of course, no flaming each other if you have differences in opinion. Take to AIM or PM. There's no need for it here. We want to make this discussion as civil as possible.

That's it. When you get the game, feel free to post.

All posts violating the thread's rules will be deleted by a mod/admin and any duplicate "DIZCUSHUN THREDZ" will be deleted from the GD forum.

iladit: Expect an exciting 3 man review from myself, Slinger and DW in a few days as well.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GameSpot's review [7.6]:

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/sonicrevolution/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary

IGN's review [6.9]: very ouch, baby

http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766214p1.html

IGNs score surprises me the most since they were loving this game more than any other site. Plus, a lower score than Sonic Heroes? I need this game now, because I need to see this shit to believe it. Bitching about difficulty...jeez...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766180p2.html

IGNs just harsh, man. I even read their preview again and it really seemed that they were going to score Secret Rings higher than they did. It was like...two completely different deliveries for the preview and review. Bleh...I'm still waiting for this shit, so I can see what the hell they are talking about.

Might have something to do with the reviews and the previews being written by completely different people...

Really though, it was bitching of the worst variety. He was moaning about difficulty and music and things like that. It isn't worth the attention of those of us who value challenge and gameplay.

I swear though, retarded reviewers are probably 90% of whats wrong with the industry. They never analyze what matters.

Oh, and some proof they never really got the point of Sonic in the first place:

Bitching about something in S(2k6):

"Somehow running fast and then stopping to push blocks just doesn't cut it in today's market."

Then what the fuck was I just programming a few weeks ago eh?

Copy and Pasta from Sonic CulT

The Sonic challange, by IGN

The Rules:

- When Sonic releases tomorrow, buy it, rent it, steal it, or convince a friend that it sucks so you can take it home and play it.

- Write a reader review for the game by 12:00 on Monday the 26th of February (that’s next Monday). You can find the link to the reader reviews section RIGHT HERE.

- I’ll read through each and every review submitted (during my free time this weekend… see how cool we IGN editors are?) and select the best one from the bunch. What constitutes the “best” review? The one that makes a point, supports its score, and defends its opinion the best. In short, I want to hear someone make a full, inspired opinion on the game, whether you think it’s a 2.0, 6.9, or 10.

- The winner gets one of three prizes: 2,000 Wii points, a plush Goomba doll, or a retro Famicom pen/case.

- I’ll post the winner on my blog on Monday… the writer simply needs to send over their address in a personal message for me.

I'd enter, but us Brits don't get the game until 2nd March

Blues: You and SG both have the same sig, my bad. xD

IGN's review is exactly why I prefer reviews that grade each aspect of a game individually. That way if music gets a low-ass score because they're retarded and gameplay got a relatively high score that's dragged down by things that don't matter like it "being to difficult" (but if it were easier it'd be too much of a "kiddy game"). That way you can take what actually matters and average them yourself. There's some magazine that does it. Really though, you should probably average this review, the preview, and the "press reviews" together in order to get a "real" IGN score.

Copy and Pasta from Sonic CulT

The Sonic challange, by IGN

The Rules:

- When Sonic releases tomorrow, buy it, rent it, steal it, or convince a friend that it sucks so you can take it home and play it.

- Write a reader review for the game by 12:00 on Monday the 26th of February (that’s next Monday). You can find the link to the reader reviews section RIGHT HERE.

- I’ll read through each and every review submitted (during my free time this weekend… see how cool we IGN editors are?) and select the best one from the bunch. What constitutes the “best” review? The one that makes a point, supports its score, and defends its opinion the best. In short, I want to hear someone make a full, inspired opinion on the game, whether you think it’s a 2.0, 6.9, or 10.

- The winner gets one of three prizes: 2,000 Wii points, a plush Goomba doll, or a retro Famicom pen/case.

- I’ll post the winner on my blog on Monday… the writer simply needs to send over their address in a personal message for me.

I'd enter, but us Brits don't get the game until 2nd March

I'm game for that.

You know what? Even if I do hype this game to death ( read: only once or twice ), im probably going to wait until the high-ups ( I know slingerland will provide plenty of lulz, since he started prop 21 and whatnot ) review the game.

That being said however? I'm totally nicking the idea of having level-up elements. The rail element is the biggest lifesaver ive seen so far, I mean really ( anyone remember mad dash? crappy game, but the rails made it better than crap )

however oddly I did that a while back when I still had STHA