A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Not bad for low ploy. Is the movement still slippery and is there braking now?

It will always be somewhat "slippery", but the only reason he seems to be is because of the same reason Sonic seems to have floaty jumping in Sonic 4: his animations are awkward. Instead of having turning-while-moving animations in the bland Blitzsonic engine when you go in a diagonal direction, he just faces that direction, leaving this awkward feeling to the movement. Another reason it seems slippery is because his animation speed depends on the speed of your movement, which makes it also look twice as awkward. Also, having no braking animation makes it even worse.

Sonic will have a "leaning left or right but still facing forward" movement when you press the diagonal keys, the animations will stay at a constant speed (probably besides when rolling), and Sonic will have braking animations.

@Gear_the_Hedgehog: You mean that platform Sonic gets on that launches him forward (also seen in Wacky Workbench in SCD)? Or those panels on the sides of the fortress?

Either way we're gonna try and code in as many gimmicks as possible into the engine, and although that could most likely be done, I have to say it probably won't be since this is just a test level after all.

One more thing; to keep up with this project, check it out on our message board:

sonicfreerunner.proboards.com

All of these gorgeous screenshots are making me want to post something. o_o Ah, what the heck. xD

amberhills.png

One of two projects I'm currently working on. This one's a platformer that plays like Mega Man X, but has a time traveling system similar to Sonic CD. The screenshots above are from Amber Hills (Present, Past, Bad Future and Good Future, from top to bottom).

If anyone here remembers playing Sonic Strife, I basically took the art style from that and expanded upon it. A few people have told me that the graphics look like cutouts. xD

I quite like the art style of that Strife, and would be interested in seeing it in motion. ;>

My only crits from the screenshots alone are that everything that sits on the ground should probably be a few pixels deeper so they don't look like they're right up against the back of the foreground where the dark tall grass is, and you should see if you can get rain to be blocked (or become invisible) in covered areas like the right half of the last shot.

Just a thought as well, but I can totally see the grass in the last shot swaying in the wind from the wind of the storm. =3

Thankies! ^_^

Funny you should mention that, Asuma. While the male character is more Zero-esque, the female character is the one who gets the beam sabre. (Well, sortof. It's a special attack you acquire from one of the bosses.)

Thanks for the tips, LarkSS. :3 There's an indoor area in the good future of Amber Hills Stage 3, and I make it so that the rain stops when the player's inside, but other than that, I haven't made anything block it. xD;

I would like to put up videos at some point, and I'm actually pretty close to finishing enough stuff for a demo. I'm mostly impeded by graphics work for the menus and interfaces - including the pause menu which I'm not particularly happy with. If I still have trouble with it after a while, I could probably make a thread for the game or something and ask for more detailed advice. xD;

In the meantime, here's another pile of screenies.

alchemistworks.png

This one's from Alchemist Works, and it shows a little more of what each character can do. The girl plays like a Mega Man hybrid - she can wall jump and slide under narrow tunnels, though unlike MM, she can still shoot while sliding. The male is harder to describe, but he kinda plays like one of the twins from Gunstar Heroes - he shoots insanely fast and has a dashing ability. The girl does best in vertical areas, and the guy does best in horizontal ones.

Those are a looking sweet, Strife. The lighting in the first few shots(first post), even with so few colors, look really alive. It seems that every color was choosen with care. =D

----

This gimmick was added before I added Tails as a companion in CB. Now, I'm rethinking how to use this. Basically, The player rolls down a series of hills at top speed and then over the edge of a cliff. The player is launched into a free fall and Tails comes to the rescue in his plane. Likely, I'll use it in a different zone to prep for a boss battle.

I'm going to have to retouch all of the tiles due to the gaps and then re-lay each one...so gaps for now.

plane0.png

plane1.png

plane2.png

plane3.png

Thanks, Ironrind. ^_^

Wow, Sonic SHMUP looks sweet! =O Can you play as Tails? He was totally made for airplane combat. xD And I feel your pain as far as HUDs go. It's the reason why I chose a minimalist style for my game (i.e. information only comes up when it's relevant, such as a heart appearing when your health is low or a counter appearing when you pick up collectible stardust pieces).

Man, there's some really impressive stuff going on in this thread! :D

Here's some shots for "Sonic SHMUP," something I'm working on to hopefully release for SAGE 15. I don't have a HUD developed yet for it. :<

[qimg]http://instant.gunsha.com/shmup/screenshot_01.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://instant.gunsha.com/shmup/screenshot_02.png[/qimg]

What is this I don't even

Woah, that looks sweet. The graphics are really nice, but maybe make the laser additive or something?

Large Crabmeat's or Sonic's laser? Sonic is using his weakest attack in that, which is a laser that fires every half a second. It's upgradable to fire more often. Large Crabmeat's laser charges up for a second and a half, but it's gigantic.

Wow, Sonic SHMUP looks sweet! =O Can you play as Tails? He was totally made for airplane combat. xD And I feel your pain as far as HUDs go. It's the reason why I chose a minimalist style for my game (i.e. information only comes up when it's relevant, such as a heart appearing when your health is low or a counter appearing when you pick up collectible stardust pieces).

I'm thinking about making multiple characters playable, but I'm not too sure. And I love the minimalistic approach to things as well, but as far as the HUD is concerned, I simply just haven't added it yet, haha! I need a ring counter, score counter, a "super move" counter, and a lives counter.

What is this I don't even

What do?

He wants you to make it additive for the pseudo-transparency. IMO, OR would work better in this case. Or whatever it was I used for lightning in that one demo...

EDIT: Problem is, blue and yellow don't mix well in either case. I'm not really sure what the best option is here.

EDIT: GOT IT! Use two items, one which sort of darkens the blue a little with subtract and another one which goes over it to make a yellow via add. Or something like that. Experiment with the ink effects anyway.

He wants you to make it additive for the pseudo-transparency. IMO, OR would work better in this case. Or whatever it was I used for lightning in that one demo...

You know me so well. Haha

Sonic SHMUP looks Fun!

[qimg]http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss262/segasonicfan4life/Sonic%20battle%20Tag/Untitled-4copy.png[/qimg]

Just something small I'm working on. No hub or timer yet.

If that's Tails workshop, I <3 you.

I actually wanna see some gameplay of that, just to see how it compares to what I've been up to :D.

Speaking of what I've been up to:

ssk2009emblemgallery2.png

Mockup screenshot of the new Emblem Gallery design. There are more of them in my topic (if anyone actually noticed it got updated lol)