A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

I've gotten a few comments about how they look like the ones from Hydrocity. I did look at them when trying to figure out how to sprite bricks but I was looking at a bunch of other games as well. Its probably the color that makes it look like hydrocity.

How exactly does it clash though? Is it the texture? the colors? The contrast?

I've gotten a few comments about how they look like the ones from Hydrocity. I did look at them when trying to figure out how to sprite bricks but I was looking at a bunch of other games as well. Its probably the color that makes it look like hydrocity.

How exactly does it clash though? Is it the texture? the colors? The contrast?

For me it's the art style. The way they're shaded is mainly what reminds me of Hydrocity. The rest of your level pieces look more simplified, while the bricks have clear details, especially compared to your grass tiled (unless those are WIPs?). I'd suggest maybe smoothening them a bit?

Only other thing I noticed is your other set pieces have a specific light source coming from the right, while the bricks seem to have a light source coming from the top.

Don't get me wrong, the tile set is gorgeous, but the bricks feel like the only thing out of place.

For me it's the art style. The way they're shaded is mainly what reminds me of Hydrocity. The rest of your level pieces look more simplified, while the bricks have clear details, especially compared to your grass tiled (unless those are WIPs?). I'd suggest maybe smoothening them a bit?

Only other thing I noticed is your other set pieces have a specific light source coming from the right, while the bricks seem to have a light source coming from the top.

Don't get me wrong, the tile set is gorgeous, but the bricks feel like the only thing out of place.

Thank you so much for this kind of criticism. This is probably the best criticism I've gotten on the sheet since I've posted it anywhere. So srsly, thanks a lot sparks!

I'll totally fix it all up when I get the chance. Busy weekend so could be a while, but thanks!

Anyway, heres an actual screenshot of The Estate

jo5.png

Thank you so much for this kind of criticism. This is probably the best criticism I've gotten on the sheet since I've posted it anywhere. So srsly, thanks a lot sparks!

I'll totally fix it all up when I get the chance. Busy weekend so could be a while, but thanks!

Anyway, heres an actual screenshot of The Estate

[qimg]http://imageshack.us/a/img404/2645/jo5.png[/qimg]

woah, is this the real game? =D

yay!!! XD

looks nice to play =D

Now that my game is actually rolling along now, we're starting to have actual levels, and come up with bosses.

Here is the Quartz Quadrant act 1 miniboss:

X8QWnse.png Thats a close up of it in the frame.

GETIf4C.png This is a mockup and the sprites. That rocket is a recolor of the boss rocket from Madcap Grotto. I'm not sure where it came from, but I hereby give credit to the person who made it, and if you don't want me using it, just tell me, I will find something else.

Quartz Quadrant

byrht2r.png

Also, omnidirectional rotation. :)

9P6dZdj.png

Although that screen doesn't prove much, this one does a better job.

hRIu1aI.png

But still...

We have a level called steampunk hill, and this a boss from that:

S5XFFSe.png

Credit to ZigZax, my awesome spritist. Criticism would be appreciated.

You can imagine the boss like Green Hill's boss, but ascending at the same time.

Or like the first part of Perihelion Peak's boss with the GHZ boss going up.

Or you can imagine it like Labyrinth Zone Boss but less annoy- Ok, you get it now. And sonic jump.

Finally...

Mighty gets a walking animation, thanks to LiBi!

go2T1rW.png

I will make a whole sheet and release it when I'm done, as the rest out there are pretty shoddy...

@Jassbec: I'm looking forward to it on SAGE. Seems like you made big progress in little time :D awesome

@Highwire4: Those buttons on the screenshot... you planning to release it on OUYA?

@Mr. Potatobadger: Great, I wonder how this QQz boss will work. Looking forward to it.

One note: If you're using omnidirectional animations for Sonic, you might wanna do the same for the other objects ingame. For example, the chain that ties the ball of the boss - and the ball itself - are rotated on your mockup. If you take a quick look on Sonic 1's first boss, the chain rings and the ball aren't rotated.

It is not mandatory though - it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Thought I'd just drop this screenshot here...

csonicss.png

Not a big progress though, it's probably like this for a month.

News include up to 4 resolution types (2x on the photo, 15/20/30/60 FPS which you can choose depending on your machine, and a tile system much like classic Sonic games, with 32-bit coordinates system.

There's also experimental fullscreen (which SDL1.2 tends to fuck up with on Linux) and motion blur (using the OpenGL Accumulation Buffer, making the game run SLOOOWWWWW), but still WIP.

You can grab the full code under the MIT License :D

@Mr. Potatobadger: Great, I wonder how this QQz boss will work. Looking forward to it.

One note: If you're using omnidirectional animations for Sonic, you might wanna do the same for the other objects ingame. For example, the chain that ties the ball of the boss - and the ball itself - are rotated on your mockup. If you take a quick look on Sonic 1's first boss, the chain rings and the ball aren't rotated.

It is not mandatory though - it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

The picture you see is a mockup by zigzax, and obviously doesn't represent any in game images. It's ZigZax's boss, so it depends on what he wants to do with it. I can pretty much guarantee he won't want the chain auto rotated.

The legs just might be auto though, as it would look better, and less clunky.

But then again it's up to what ZigZax decides it's his boss.

Thank for your compliments and advice though!

Tonight I was able to finish zoom tubes for Time Twisted. They work in both directions and at times the paths split with button presses altering your path. Just one of many gimmicks I've coded for Attraction Attack.

So do these tubes have a default path they'll shoot you if you don't press anything or do they hold you at the split until you press a button?

@Potatobadger: Cool stuff man! Quartz Quadrant? I'm a big fan of fangames having a one off classic level remade in them. Really grounds it to the sonic universe etc. Will you be remixing the graphics at all, or just using the Sonic CD ones? Cause it would be super cool if it was Quartz Quadrant but with a slightly more original look.

The Steampunk Hill Zone boss looks cool and reminds me of a suuuuuuuuuper old boss I had for a suuuuuuuuuuper old fangame of mine where I tried the Green Hill Zone boss ascending as well. Really looking forward to seeing where you're going with it.

@Overbound: Really glad to see you got it working! Looking fantastic :)

So I've done a lot of work on the bricks along with a few other things.

UPDATE:

-Fixed the big heart HUD graphic

-Fixed the lighting on the yellow bricks. It now faces more to the right like the rest of the sprites and is more simplified to match the style.

-Removed the analog graphics. They were horrid and weren't that intuitive anyway.

-Numbered the two alternate yellow brick platform variants

-Added two new outdoor cobbled platforms and adjusted them slightly.

s9qd.png

Thoughts?