A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What are you playing?

shadowgoten

@MalcomX: *facedesk until bleeding* Pretty sure it's the same game as it was back in what?-- 2007? We've even proved half the game was recycled from MW2... I haven't heard of any changes significant enough from any other CoD game to warrant buying this one, let alone all the ones that were not the first one.

EDIT: And last time I checked, the most realistic graphics ever (CG, even) do not make up for horrible gameplay.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, Golden Sun 3. (Dark Dawn, but 3 is much faster to say/type.)

Best looking game on the DS ever, when something isn't 3D, it still looks like it, and unless you sit there and stare at it, you probably won't notice. Not to mention the HUGE world map that's all rendered at once and looks so beautiful. And to top it off, it's a modern JRPG with *gasp* a good story! (WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN???)

...WORD.

I seriously love all three Golden Sun games to death. I'm on my 27th replay of the first, 7th of the second, and 12th of the third. The only reason why The Lost Age (the second) is so low because it's long as fuck, and I've only had it again for about four months (See, I had a while back, but lost it and only recently found a GameStop that had the game). I've owned the first for...Five years, I think?

Oh yeah, Golden Sun 3. (Dark Dawn, but 3 is much faster to say/type.)

Best looking game on the DS ever, when something isn't 3D, it still looks like it, and unless you sit there and stare at it, you probably won't notice. Not to mention the HUGE world map that's all rendered at once and looks so beautiful. And to top it off, it's a modern JRPG with *gasp* a good story! (WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN???)

But yeah...

@Serephim: FFXII? Love it! Stuck halfway through. Help?

To be completely honest? I can't help you because i rarely knew what was going on in that game.

Simply running around and hunting clan marks was ridiculously fun in that game, because it constantly opened up new areas, gave me a constant challenge the whole game, forced me to think of strategies, ect ect.

If you're stuck, press select to open up the map and see what the text on the bottom says. Or, if you still aren't sure, you can visit Dalen down in rabanastre's low area (The old guy that's friends with Vann) and he usually will flat-out tell you what to do.

I recently got to the end of the game (i have the option to fly to the final area, but just don't want to yet). Final Fantasy XII seriously has some amazing moments about it. I always credit Final Fantasy X's art direction and the way they tied the world in with the story, but FFXII's environments are just fucking gorgeous, and really has that old "fantasy" feeling we probably wont be getting back, since FF keeps trying to be "realistic" these days.

The moment you get to the crystal world, you'll know what i mean.

Man, FFXII is such a great game, I honestly wish the writers didn't have so many conflicts. If FFXII had a story as captivating as X, VII or VI, then it'd probably be near the top of my list in terms of brilliance. But instead, it gets alot of flak for...well, basically nothing. It's almost identical to the ATB system. The only thing they're missing is instanced battle arenas, but most bosses use cinematic attacks anyway. I feel the same way about X-2 (its battle engine was amongst my favorite, it felt like a true evolution to ATB ), but the general idea of the game pretty much ensured it was gonna have a shitty story. But it was still a great game.

I like XIII's battle engine, and it has the most epic feeling battles, but it has a terribly low tolerance for non-epic battles, so everything that isnt a boss just feels redundant and annoying.

I might have to buy me some Skyward Sword off of Amazon.

And then buy a Wii.

...Then some sort of capture card for my laptop.

......Then I'll need either a voltage converter box or an European-style AC adapter.

...Then I'll need some sort of adapter to convert the two circle prong thing into the the three rectangular prong thing.

Damn, this sounds like an endeavor in itself. Maybe not.

(Plus, I work like 12 hours a day, six and a half days a week.)

What I liked about XII's "ADB" was you could move around freely, on some occasions entirely avoid an attack (although most attacks could hit you from 20ft away.)

XII, in most occasions, felt completely identical to ATB.

I honestly don't care much for XIII's system though. Its fun, and it works for most things, but for others it really is just too shallow.

Since everything is based on the ATB gauges, and you can only get so many at once (6 max in XIII), the game just gets really spammy as you honestly don't even have to think very much to save up enough for an attack. All the special moves (army of one, highwind, ect) simply take up 6 bars, and by the time you're finished using it, you only have to wait like 4 seconds to do it again.

And so, they honestly suck as moves. In FFXIII simply staggering and spamming Attack is like a trillion times more powerful than any singular technique, unless it's Fang/Snows. And every normal attack is so useless outside of Stagger that using them instead of ravager moves is pretty useless too.

of course, the stragety and depth in XIII comes from use of the paradigms. But i think the reason FFXIII was so god damn difficult is because they forced you to set a finite number of them, instead of being able to micro-manage the class of your party during battle. So, if you run into a fight you wern't prepared for, you're dead....which is like almost every other battle in that game, since alot of the enemy setups require damn near specific paradigms.

Games I've being playing would be Skyrim(Lvl 7 Nord AWWWWYEAAAA!!!), Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Kingdom Hearts 2, Jak and Daxter and DMC1 & 3. Might replay Chrono Trigger and Cross(Love those games) and I might also play Radical Dreamers as well to top it off.

@Serephim: FF6 was my first FF and Its the reason I got into Final Fantasy. Best story, brilliant graphics and awesome music.

Oh SG...how did you beat Skyward Sword 3 days before launch? ;) Don't answer that :).

I'll be playing Skyward Sword once I get home from work today...picked up the package on my lunch from my apartment. I'm currently listening to the orchestra CD as pump up for later! :D

;D I have my ways.

I freaking LOVE the skyward sword soundtrack, I had to download the soundtrack like ASAP. Keep me posted on how you're enjoying it. Also hi I haven't seen you in a bit.

I've been replaying lots of Legend of Zelda:Minish Cap. It's a fucking amazing game. I don't know why they didn't let Capcom develop the other two DS games, they are really good with the series.

unlike what they do with megaman...

Capcom are great when they make Megaman games. Keyword here is when.

Which as of late has not been happening. Either way I agree they did really good on the Zelda games they have worked on.

Just played Halo CE, but stopped on the part you find the crashed Pillar of Autumn.

I never thought it'd say that, but the gameplay starts to get boring after a few time. Never played Halo 2, but they kinda cut it off on Halo 3 and cut it off almost completely on Reach.

Let's hope Anniversary isn't that boring... although I know it is basically the same thing.

(But seriously, I died multiple times because I abandoned a Banshee on the ground and it came back over me without much strength.)

I never could finish Halo 1 TBH. The library was the highlight of the game, but aside from that i could never beat it, and even when i had the full game on my PC i'd only multiplayer.

I beat Halo 3 once on Heroic and then again on Legendary. Beating that game on Legendary solo was fucking annoying, i should have gotten 3000 gamerpoints for that shit.

Halo 2 Legendary is impossible i dont care what anyone says

;D I have my ways.

I freaking LOVE the skyward sword soundtrack, I had to download the soundtrack like ASAP. Keep me posted on how you're enjoying it. Also hi I haven't seen you in a bit.

Skyward Sword is pretty amazing so far. I just did the first trial run through Faron Woods...I have to say, those guardians reallllly make me nervous. I know that's what they're meant to do, but seriously, I'm about to shit my pants when they're on my tail...

Oh, yes, and hai SG :D. How's it going?