A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CD Remake Thread

luksamuk

Time Travel was always my favorite part of the game, perhaps because I didn't feel psychologically forced to use it. If I wanted to see a level's particular Good Future I'd go to the trouble of doing that; otherwise, I'd just mess around in the Bad Future or Past for the altered level design.

Speaking of which, did anyone here ever get the good ending not by collecting all the time stones, but just fixing the Past in every single level? I've always been meaning to try that when I had time...

I always figured people disliked it because it was hard to do.

Your first time through an act, it was near impossible to hit a time post and build enough speed to time travel.

But personally, my attitude towards a lot of gimmicks is that your first time through a level should rely on a minimum of stuff like that.

So with CD, imo, your first time through you play it straight. After that, you play around with time travel. :D

Time Travel was always my favorite part of the game, perhaps because I didn't feel psychologically forced to use it. If I wanted to see a level's particular Good Future I'd go to the trouble of doing that; otherwise, I'd just mess around in the Bad Future or Past for the altered level design.

Speaking of which, did anyone here ever get the good ending not by collecting all the time stones, but just fixing the Past in every single level? I've always been meaning to try that when I had time...

I did it once. With a .doc file describing every path I had to take.

Never got all of the Time Stones, though. But I suppose that they're the best way to get a Good Ending.

And, definitely, Metallic Madness was such a pain.

I always thought the primary reason to dislike time travel in SCD was the pointlessness of it rather than for any other minor factor.

Back to Stephen Hawking's time travel theories...

Imagine that a superfast train is running around the Earth at almost the speed of light.

They travel for a desired time I don't remember anymore, and their speed make them do 7 laps around the Earth per second.

Hell yeah, when they get out of this train, they'll be 100 years in the future from the date they started traveling. [The time passes slowly for them inside the train]

So yeah, Time Travel for the Future IS possible. But don't ask me about traveling to the Past.

But about pointlessness, think with me.

- Sonic is a super-fast hedgehog.

- Sonic can run at high speed.

- Sonic always seemed to reach the speed of sound easily.

Maybe a speed-enhancement power would make him move in the speed of light?

Speed-enhancement power: Time Travel posts. You get them, you accelerate for a few time and your speed automatically reaches c (The symbol for light speed on the vacuum, got it? Got it?), because you're so totally cool that you can go about anywhere.

That's PRETTY MUCH something to explore A LOT.

Taking Sonic too seriously LH!

But;

It's not down to Sonic's speed. It's mystical energy; since SA2, Chaos Control has meant that the Emeralds have time warping power. IIRC, Miracle Planet in Sonic CD is full of gems that are very similar to Chaos Emeralds. The time posts create a Chaos Control, they don't accelerate Sonic to Light Speed. So he can go forward or back.

There! Sonic physics explained! :D

I always thought the primary reason to dislike time travel in SCD was the pointlessness of it rather than for any other minor factor.

From a strictly gameplay point of view, I would have to agree that time travel in SCD was pretty pointless, especially the Future posts. If you were serious about getting good futures, you'd avoid Future posts like the plague.

However, I still love the time travel gimmick because of how it contributes to the game's surreal atmosphere and Robotnik's threat level. It gave me the feeling that there was something more to what I was doing than just rolling around at the speed of the sound; I was felt that Robotnik was dead serious this time, because I could actually see what the world was going to look like when he takes over. Most games skip over that little detail, and the way the Bad Futures show it off is pretty creepy.

It was the reason i didnt care for SCD. it felt like i was always missing like 66% of the level everytime i played.

That, and i played the american version. Before i even knew the US and EU/JP versions had differences, i hated future and present stages because the past always looked better AND had better music.

I've done it a few times.

It gets kind of frustrating at the fifth special stage.

The seventh isn't all that hard but I get distracted by the background.

That is the reason why I can't beat the sixth.

I've done this only so I didn't have to go back to get the good futures.

It was the reason i didnt care for SCD. it felt like i was always missing like 66% of the level everytime i played.

That, and i played the american version. Before i even knew the US and EU/JP versions had differences, i hated future and present stages because the past always looked better AND had better music.

Yeah, the Past levels used MIDI played with the core's instruments, and the rest of the levels had their own .mp3s. Funny how they were so short and worse than the MIDIs.

However, I have the impression that this new Sonic CD revamp is such a... revamp.

OW COME ON that's Taxman.

They will probably just cut the music down to a place it can loop..

I've never really had a love for this game.. Not sat down and played it fully.. Its just a LOT of effort to go into the past and destroy all the Robotnick machines and then get the Time Stones on top of that.. If it comes to steam though I will be re-trying it before Sonic 4 - Ep2

I have finished that game as the bad ending before so have some experience, but I just find the whole Time traveling thing confusing for a sonic game.. Am I making it harder than it actually is?

I'm wondering how the hell are they going to loop the EU/JP soundtrack since the future/present tracks end abruptly.

Well, it's already been done before!

I'm not sure, I think they took it down due to bandwidth excess, but Sonic Retro had a OSV Project that stored various kinds of music, and there were some looping Sonic CD musics too. I think that GeneHF himself had something to do with it.

Some unused parts of the musics were released once. Maybe they've included them too.

I have finished that game as the bad ending before so have some experience, but I just find the whole Time traveling thing confusing for a sonic game.. Am I making it harder than it actually is?

You are indeed.

There are 2 ways to get the good ending. 1: Destroying the Metal Sonic Projectors and Badnik Generators, (That's just what I call them, correct me if I'm wrong,) and 2: Getting all the Time Stones in the Special Stages. Obviously, I always go for 2.

Yeah destroying the machines is entirely optional. I prefer doing it personally because I like searching for them. You can get the good ending without hitting the Metal Sonic projectors.

Otherwise, just get 50 rings and try and beat the Special Stages like in Sonic 1.