A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CD Remake Thread

luksamuk

Hit me with your theories. Hit me hard, and hit me fast.

Rings:

Chaos energy manifests itself as a yellowish loop, and when touched, that energy is absorbed, and used to make a thin bubble that can block an things. However, when the energy's flow is disrupted, the rings break away from the bubble, and remanifest themselves as the golden things we love.

Geography:

So, Emeralds are, by nature, geometric shapes. So does that mean the emeralds could have an impact on the geometric shapes of the land? I dunno.

Chaos energy manifests itself as a yellowish loop, and when touched, that energy is absorbed, and used to make a thin bubble that can block an things. However, when the energy's flow is disrupted, the rings break away from the bubble, and remanifest themselves as the golden things we love.

What explains my theory that SEGA created the idea of the MJOLNIR armors before Bungie.

BACK TO WHAT REALLY MATTERS...?

• 2 months later...

We need to be able to save Little Planet at "Rosie the Rascal"... Or so she was called then...

But yeah, considering I do not own any of the systems it's being remade for, I myself can't see the use of this... Unless it's also for DSiWare or PSP specific PSN for free. But, as Serephim stated on page one, who on EARTH needs this? It's on PC in legal and illegal forms...

Plus the fact that having played it on Gems Collection, I can officially say I'm in that 1% of Sonic fans who hate this game... Hard game is very hard, and abnoxious sounds are extrememly abnoxious. (Jump SFX in particular... GOD I HATE THAT "mwaauuh!" SOUND!!)

The difference is this is a retooling of Sonic CD with a new engine and proper spin dash, the lesser known (in US) soundtrack, graphical fixes (like the water in CCZ), among some other touches I believe. you're acting like it's the same original Sonic CD that's been tossed around for awhile. This is damn well worth buying, as SEGA did it right by getting Taxman to do the job.

(Gems version is shit tier. see:

)

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed generations, but i'm sure this game is gonna take way more of my time. Sonic generations classic gameplay just didnt do it for me, therefore im not so bothered to play that game more after 100% ing it.

This port of sonic CD is the best thing that ewver happened. It puts the game that i love in a coat that's probably 10 times better. Better presentation, better controls, full HD widescreen gameplay and cutscenes and as i've seen in the partnernet video. The special stage became widescreen and 60fps too. The latter looking really sexy

Here a video of the gameplay

http://www.4shared.com/video/C5cXpSr1/sonic_cd_xbla_preview.html

And here a video of the opening uploaded on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXhu3x82AF8&feature=channel_video_title

SO how do u guys think it sounds without vocals?

Lol

Well I love the vocals too, but even if they're supposed to be copyright issues(which I read at retro), I think from a commercial POV it's better this way. Sonic CD's japanese soundtrack never really got a commercial world wide release or either sold poorly because of SEGA CD flopping.

I think it sounds great too though I would have loved it if they had added the melody from sonic 2 gamegears green hill zone :P

(SEMI-SPOILER) Sonic CD's X360 Achievements released

http://segabits.com/blog/2011/11/30/sonic-cd-achievements-get-posted-online/

And fuck off that shit of "Sonic CD isn't that good" or "this is just another old game made for Sega to raise more money", I am totally getting this. I've always been more excited with Sonic CD than with Generations. More cheaper, more classic.

• 2 weeks later...

@Raz: True.

SO YEAH BOYS, it's already here. Available on XBL for 400 MSP, PSN for £3.59 and iOS for £2.99 (found the last two prices on PowerSonic.com.br.)

I took a little look at the demo, since everybody seems to be ignoring this.

It seems okay, and I somehow felt that it was much more worth buying than DAT SO EXPENSIVE Sonic Generations. Man, I am totally getting this.

My only complaints are that the screen IS NOT Fullscreen (black squares around the game window MUST die). The Time Travel seems awkward a bit too, compared to the very old Mega/Sega CD version: It takes one fraction of second more for Sonic to travel, making you wonder if you're gonna make it; and the game doesn't freeze while the transitions are running. But I'm cool with that. I am TOTALLY getting this. This and LIMBO; I finally spent money buying MSPs.

Taxman made a great job here. Although I saw some noticeable differences on it compared to the old version (OK OK THIS IS NOT A PORT); the cross gimmick (on the loops) work in a different way. Maybe to prevent bugs. I remember jumping on it and seeing Sonic's 2.5D animation playing in air, like if he was jumping and I was seeing him from behind, but I'm cool with that.

PS. Can someone tell me the difference between the image filters? I dunno if that's because I played the trial, but I saw no differences on it.

Just beat it. It's really good. Everything promised, three screen modes, "Sharp" a cartoony 4x mode , "Smooth" the smoothing effect use don retro and nexus or "Nostalgia" no effects.

Quartz Quadrant and Metallic Madness bosses are a lil' awkward though considering they relied heavily on the shape the screen was and with a different size they're kinda cramped , e.g. Blue Lazers in the sides added to the last boss.

Also I'm in the top 10 worldwide for about 5 different acts, including No. 1 for Wacky Workbench 3 , w00p. Will probably change when more people get it xD