A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Skywind: Episode II

TailsSena

I hope you decide on using the real Sonic Worlds as a base. It's got the best 360 base engine within it, plus a great animation system. That's the only way this will truly be an equivalent to Worlds for Advance style games. Of course it will take a lot of programming and editing to make it feel like Advance. But you have to program that stuff no matter which base you use. Also don't use that resolution sprites that small need a smaller resolution. Just change it to the standard resolution of 320x224 or maybe 320x240 and be done with it. I really like the idea of having a solid Advance style base, I just hope you do it the best way possible.

I'm using the "Worlds 360 Base Engine" that gsoft gave me in some other thread... Probably Screenshots, can't remember. It comes with nothing more than the bare bones physics engine in WorldsDelta. Perfect for making a fresh start off the Worlds engine for different styled games, since Worlds follows Sonic 3/K, and adds real time rotation to the sprites, and I'm going for Advance 3/Rush style, with Advance 1 style bosses... Well, actually much more elaborite than Advance 1 for bosses... Think KH: CoM, minus the card system and pseudo-3D.

Also, no. I am not changing the resolution to be any smaller. Ever played Rivals/2? The character models aren't much bigger than that when the camera is at a zoom equivalent to mine. Plus, what's wrong with breaking the god damn tradition of never seing the badnik that's about to pop a bullet in your ass until you're 3 pixels away from him? That's one issue I would like to address in my game. LET ME SEE HIM SO I CAN REACT IN TIME!!

EDIT: Sorry if I lost it there. Just annoying that people keep insisting on tiny-ass resolutions that can't be seen without a magnifying glass.

Another reason is that I intend on adding pretty particle effects to certain abilities, actions, and bosses.

I'm using the "Worlds 360 Base Engine" that gsoft gave me in some other thread... Probably Screenshots, can't remember. It comes with nothing more than the bare bones physics engine in WorldsDelta. Perfect for making a fresh start off the Worlds engine for different styled games, since Worlds follows Sonic 3/K, and adds real time rotation to the sprites, and I'm going for Advance 3/Rush style, with Advance 1 style bosses... Well, actually much more elaborite than Advance 1 for bosses... Think KH: CoM, minus the card system and pseudo-3D.

Awesome.

EDIT: Sorry if I lost it there. Just annoying that people keep insisting on tiny-ass resolutions that can't be seen without a magnifying glass.

Large resolutions are fine as long as you don't have tiny sprites that can't be seen without a magnifying glass, which isn't the case with advance sprites.

I've been studying and making games for 10 years now, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is a poor poor design choice to do it that way. For one reason with sprites that small there is no benefit to having the screen that large. In fact it could slow your game down because more objects are on the screen. That's not to mention those of us who like to play in full screen will lose out because the sprites will be too small in full screen because of the large resolution. Your eye is focused on the character or what's directly in front of him anyway so again the large resolution just becomes wasted space. Its Your game do what you want but to do blunt it's a horrible decision thus why you only see noob games with resolutions like this. They always think its a good idea until they realize its not.

320x240 is not a tiny resolution. It's the perfect res for 2D Sonic games, IMO. Having a huge res means you need more objects to fill the scenery. If its based off Rush/Adv, you'd be going by to fast to even care about it.

About the badnik thing, if you know how to make a Sonic Adv camera it shouldn't be a problem. If you know how to design levels and place enemies in the right spot it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh yeah. On the topic of level design, that's soething I REALLY, REEAAALLY need help with. If you played that demo, you just saw the extent of my creativity with advance tiles. You may have also noticed that I'm not too bad at "filling the resolution" with decorations ranging from flowers to waterfalls. And really guys, 480x272 isn't that huge, not even compared to 320x240.If I felt so enclined, I MIGHT bump it down to 360x272, but get over 320x240 or anything smaller because it will never happen.

On a lighter note, what team (in player-partner order) do you people use? I like Tails-Amy, or Cream-Shadow. (Just because I find it hilarious to make Shadow into Cream's bitch.)

Then I have lost all faith in you~

I played your 'demo'. It was wasted space. If that is the extent of your creativity, why are you making a game?

Didn't play it, but I'm sure it can't be that bad. I started making fangames @ 12 years old, but I only started learning how to make a level when I had to make Hidden Palace Act 2 for the Collab. You should give him a chance. Not just throw a bunch of disencouraging words over him.

If you played that demo, you just saw the extent of my creativity with advance tiles. You may have also noticed that I'm not too bad at "filling the resolution" with decorations ranging from flowers to waterfalls.

picardFacePalm.jpg

And really guys, 480x272 isn't that huge, not even compared to 320x240.If I felt so enclined, I MIGHT bump it down to 360x272, but get over 320x240 or anything smaller because it will never happen.

picarddoublefacepalm.jpg

Ripped graphics I've already seen and a terrible resolution. I unfortunately have to say I cannot see myself being interested in this project. I try to be helpful and explain how to do things the right way. But this is the most basic do and don't. So I feel as anything else I could say about game or level design would be taken with a grain of salt.

Ugguggugguggugg...!!

If I were to change the resolution, I can't do it today, too busy. And can we please end the ceaseless resolution complaints? Because I'm pretty sure that is the least important (or damn close) thing to be griping about. THANK YOU SEREPHIM for talking about something else! I will Rep+ you and fix these things next chane I get!

So, I'm pretty new here too, but, I think I can confidently say, you're being a silly goose.

The whole point of this place, if I'm not mistaken, is to help people become better at making fangames. If you're not gonna listen to criticism and advice, then what's the point of you being here?

Ugguggugguggugg...!!

If I were to change the resolution, I can't do it today, too busy. And can we please end the ceaseless resolution complaints? Because I'm pretty sure that is the least important (or damn close) thing to be griping about. THANK YOU SEREPHIM for talking about something else! I will Rep+ you and fix these things next chane I get!

What you don't seem to realize is even if I shut up about the resolution. Someone else will bring it up and if he shuts up, another, and another. Why? Because its poor design and everyone but you knows it. Sprites are designed with specific resolutions in mind. If you were using a sprites the size of Sonic 4 or Sonic 2 HD and you were trying to do a resolution the size of 320x240 you'd be using too small of a resolution. It depends on the size of the sprites, and your resolution and sprites don't match up at all.

Sprites are designed with specific resolutions in mind. If you were using a sprites the size of Sonic 4 or Sonic 2 HD and you were trying to do a resolution the size of 320x240 you'd be using too small of a resolution. It depends on the size of the sprites, and your resolution and sprites don't match up at all.

Yes, I get that. It's common sense, but please please PLEASE take a look at Sonic Rivals 2. Small models and it still looks nice.

And, tell ya' what. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can stand 360x272. Can we live with that?

Tails, FYI. What you are typing on, what almost every fangame is played on and what you are making the game on. Is NOT a PSP. There is no need for said resolution and therefore gives no reason for it other than a waste of pixels on my screen. Also, you aren't making a SonicRivals influenced game. So why do you keep using it like you are?

Sonic Rivals has a camera that moves in 3D space depending on what's needed for that point of the level. It isn't just left to right movement in Sonic Rivals there's 3D path changing going on. Besides that you are wrong Sonic Rivals models are much larger than your sprites. Just do 320x240.

Hey. Im a douche. Look at me try to tell people off like im any less useless than i claim he is.

Oh thanks for sharing

And are we really about to go through this resolution crap again? Can you guys ever find anything else to talk about? Why are you guys approaching this like the situation is something new? Like it's SURPRISING all the sudden? Like it's NOT expected of every new fangamer, lol....It's like walking into an elementary school and listen to the teachers bitch when they find out the 5th graders don't know Algebra.

Fun Fact: 320x224 is the actual Mega Drive/Genesis resolution. 320x240 is what it is with the added border.

Want a widescreen resolution that works well in this way? Try 400x224 or 432x240.

And, what Blazefire said. Use/create a decent camera and you'll be fine at a "smaller" resolution.

Oh thanks for sharing

And are we really about to go through this resolution crap again? Can you guys ever find anything else to talk about? Why are you guys approaching this like the situation is something new? Like it's SURPRISING all the sudden? Like it's NOT expected of every new fangamer, lol....It's like walking into an elementary school and listen to the teachers bitch when they find out the 5th graders don't know Algebra.

Sereph is right that was kind of rude Hobbes.

Its not new Sereph, its just wrong so I was attempting to explain to him why it needed correcting. If he were to move forward and refuse to fix it his game would forever be labeled as a noob game. No one aspires for that. Plus where would it stop? You can't ask for help and not take the medicine. At least I don't see it as a good move.

• Like 1

Sorry about that. Should have looked over my wording in a different perspective. It was a very douche-y thing to say.

@TailsSena: I apologize for my rude behavior, I'm not usually like that. =/

Here's somethings I have found when playing your demo that could be improved (if you'd like):

The player seems to accelerate to fast, could you slow it down a bit? Maybe make it so if the player goes higher than certain speed his acceleration increases.

The jogging up to full running appear all one animation. How about splitting them up into separate animations and making each one play as the player reaches a specific speed. So the player wont go from the full running speed back to walking if it's going slow enough.

Increase the speed of the jumping/ rolling animation just a bit. (You could even make it so the animation speed increases the faster Sonic/Any Character is moving. I think it can be done one way by setting the animation speed to abs(xspeed("player")*a number) while action = jumping.)

For level design, I suggest you try to make the level in small/medium sized chunks. Or draw out a basic path for the player on some paper, then create separate paths (some having more platforms, others being more loopy, but still take around the same time to pass as the platforming.) Then try to replicate it in the program while adding decoration as you feel necessary.

Waterfalls are lovely, aren't they? It would add a boost to you levels design. Add some rocks , flowers, and maybe shrubs around the falls. A bridge across would be really cool to see as well. Perhaps some smaller waterfalls near by? Just giving you ideas of what you can do with an area to make it look full.

The location of these special decorations are important too. Putting them in an area where the player just goes by really fast would be a waste. A good spot to have them would be in a platform-y section, where the player is going slow enough to notice what you have done. For speedier sections you could space things out a bit more, and add bigger things. Trees, for instance. Or perhaps some bigger bushes.

For the logos: splicing them together is not a great idea, it can damage the quality and look a bit odd. If you would like the source of the image, just ask. If you'd like a more specific request, make sure to supply the smaller details. (I know I just did it for fun, so I'm not aiming this towards my work.)

I hope this helps you with your game. I'll be looking out for another release.

• Like 2

As I don't like to talk to about what I don't know a word, well... I played your Beta.

Well... uhm... about the scree size, I wouldn't say anything more that "you should reduce it a bit", because Sonic Phoenix actually has a 400x240 screen size, plus a camera scroll that you can probably find on the latest versions of Sonic Worlds. I assume you're using an older one, right?

The AI... needs... some more work.

The leveldesign... Well. Won't repeat it.

In overall, listen to what Hobbes said above.

Sereph is right that was kind of rude Hobbes.

Its not new Sereph, its just wrong so I was attempting to explain to him why it needed correcting. If he were to move forward and refuse to fix it his game would forever be labeled as a noob game. No one aspires for that. Plus where would it stop? You can't ask for help and not take the medicine. At least I don't see it as a good move.

I understand...

I just think that no matter what he does, the game is going to only improve so much. What are the chances of him going from "noob" to "wow this is amazing" in one project? He can only learn so much while working on it at the same time. I think it's entirely impossible to boost all his efforts to the status of members here who have been doing it for years. I'd rather him complete a trashy one rather than be like me (or alot of us) and just have a ton of "constantly improving" project files lying around.

Guys, tell the newbs what they need to hear, but please stop acting like they're already supposed to know these things. There's a line between criticism and bashing. Most newbies are just happy just to see their sprite run across the screen, and want to share their excitement, the same way we did when we were finally able to make sonic run and not get stuck in a freaking wall. I just dont see how people are taking pleasure in so adamantly crushing that every single chance they get.

• Like 1

As rediculus as it may sound, I'm trying to make this game 'The Square Enix Way'… So;

Solid engine: Worlds 360 Base

Level design: Full of pretty things, regardless of how visible they are at 90mph. Also not cutting short just because "the player will never see that far"

Particles/VFX: Object collection based. (Rings) … May add some action effects too.

Bosses: Elaborate, acrobatic, and strategy-based gimmick cenric.

As rediculus as it may sound, I'm trying to make this game 'The Square Enix Way'… So;

Level design: Full of pretty things, regardless of how visible they are at 90mph. Also not cutting short just because "the player will never see that far"

You see, the level design has to be more than pretty, which isn't even what it is in it's current state. It needs to be well-made, and keep the player involved and interested. That's one of the problems lots of peple have with modern sonic games. You just hold forward and the boost button, and you've won. On the other hand, your game should keep the player interested by posing him enemies and obstacles to overcome.

Plus, I hate to break to you, but considering you're using Leaf Forest's background, it's not even that pretty in it's current state. I've seen Leaf Forest several times, so it's impact has dwindled a little to me, but it wasn't that pretty to begin with. If you want PRETTY, then try taking a leaf from Sonic Fan Remix, because that is so beautiful you often can't tell what's going on. Also, there is genuinely no point in putting stuff in that the player will never see.

Also, doing things the "Square-Enix" way won't necessarily work... Final Fantasy 13 didn't involve the player at all for the most part, and FF14 has a metacritic rating of 4.0, last I checked. Just bear that in mind.