A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Skywind: Episode II

TailsSena

Whole fan game... Or maybe both! Easily possible, right?
Well if it's a whole fan game I'd recommend not using the Worlds name since people might think it's a free engine to use.

I'm surprised there isn't a Sonic Advance variation of Worlds yet though. Kind of difficult too since there's Advance 1 style gameplay, and then Advance 2/3 style.

I thought about it a few times infact Sparks. It's easier said than done however I think if any people could do it it'd probably me Felik, Nitemare and many others. Felik understands the mechanics of the games and so do I to an extent. If we came together we could make something pretty epic. However it takes more than one person to agree to it unfortunatly.

Wow this looks awesome! Sonic Advance: Worlds has a nice ring to it... Although I tried to make one, your's is better.

If you need any sprite rips, just ask me and I can give you some accurate frames for sonic, tails or whatever you need

Why the hell did you remove the ability to switch controller configuration? I have a gamepad and I would really like to use it without opening Xpadder. Multimedia Fusion has gamepad support built-in. Use it. There is nothing that will turn me off from your game faster than removing my ability to enable gamepad support.

Edit: Oh, you changed it to CTRL+ALT+P? What for?

Edit 2: Great! And my gamepad controls player 2. Player 1 is locked to a keyboard. Point still stands!

Well aware. I'm using PSP resolution so you can *gasp* actually see what's about to smack you in the face. Something that happens far too rarely (if ever) in Sonic games.

Dont fume over the resolution too much, i think it's fine.

I personally hate the GBA resolution. I dont give a fuck if it makes your backgrounds look a bit better. If i want to play a GBA resolution game, i'll crack open visual boy advance and play one. It's acceptable because they were forced to. Doesn't make it better though.

Especially since people love to make fangames where sonic blasts through the stage moving 50 pixels forward a frame. People always complain about boost but dont ever seem to understand why it isnt working.

Criticisms:

-Your stage is too empty. There's literally nothing to do but run forward. If you're going to add multiple paths, try to stop me from so easily falling off them.

-Your animations dont really accurately match the speed sonic is going. It kind of makes it look pretty odd.

- I see that the engine supports 360 degree movement...why is there only flat terrain on the stage?

- I didn't like the "obscured vision platforming" segment very much at all. Mostly because 1) i thought it was a glitch when i found it, and 2) i fell and had to start over, which wasn't very encouraging.

- ....there was something i was going to say about the accel/decel, but i cant remember. Maybe it wasn't an issue so much as the animations

The biggest difference between Sonic Advance and Sonic Advance 2 is burst mode and level design. Sonic Advance 2 encouraged you to not stop moving. Sonic Advance was basically Sonic 3 made better, IMO. (Amy's gameplay was amazing)

Other than that, keep in mind that Sonic Advance was, quite literally, a genesis title with a different shell. If you're going for Advance 2 or 3 then thats fine. Just add some real platforming in there somewhere, and make a mental note that Sonic games damn near COMPLETELY AVOIDED bottomless pits after Sonic 1 because they were annoying.

A good rule of game design for me is to limit the amount of "flashy things" in your game, or at least keep them diverse in form. Flash is a wonderful aspect, but too much of it, and it blinds you. In Sonic the Hedgehog game, "flashy things" pretty much equates to ridiculous terrain dips, corkscrews, loops, and paths that give you crazy amounts of speed. In Laymens Terms, running and getting lots of speed is really fun, but only when it's not the entire game. Unlike a game like Sonic Unleashed, where you have tons of visual tricks and pretty visuals you can give us while shooting us through stages at 300MPH, there isn't much you can do on a 2D game to give constant running any variety.

Im guessing this is really mostly nothing but a "test", but please avoid having the player simply run around terrain and jump to avoid falling for most of the game. People here like to blame the Boost mechanic, for example, but i play tons and tons of fangames that have the same problem even without it. Try to avoid falling into this in the future.

I'm surprised there isn't a Sonic Advance variation of Worlds yet though. Kind of difficult too since there's Advance 1 style gameplay, and then Advance 2/3 style.

All you would really need is a sprite swap. There's no difference.

In Sonic Advance 2, simply add the Burst Mode mechanic.

Advance 3 would be a bit more difficult. That game had an impressive amount of shit in it. That would be quite the project.

• Like 1

All you would really need is a sprite swap. There's no difference.

In Sonic Advance 2, simply add the Burst Mode mechanic.

Advance 3 would be a bit more difficult. That game had an impressive amount of shit in it. That would be quite the project.

Sonic gains speed differently in Advance 1 than he does in Advance 2 and 3, and has different walk cycles to support it. They aren't huge differences, but notable enough.

Best thing to do would be to make two versions, then include extra abilities for neither (aka player each player just has as much abilities that they do in Genesis Worlds), thus allowing whoever uses the engine to program in whatever extra abilities they want or need. Honestly, I don't see many Advance 3 partner gameplay fan games coming out so I'd focus on solo players ala Advance 1 and 2.

It's really not too hard if the engine was narrowed down to the basics, rather than try to get every last detail and move present in the Advance games. But if an Advance Worlds engine were to begin planning, it'd deserve it's own thread since this thread is about a specific fan game project. :V

If there's enough interest in an actual Advance Worlds, I'd love to get one going; it'd give me a reason to reinstall MMF 2.0.

Agreed. But I give a specially focus on one problem with it: You can make the best engine of the world, but if you make it with a bunch of shit, you'll hardly explore all of it during the whole game. It's all related to that thing of making something you can't control.

The best way to do this is adding new abilities to the engine as you make your game. But the disadvantage in MMF2 is that you can't edit the gameplay engine all at once. Unless you use the Generla Events, but you can't use qualifiers in there...

Rush was simply a much, much better game.

Rush was the only 2D sonic game that encouraged you to never stop moving, but at the same time gave you more to do than just hold a direction. The trick and special move mechanics made for interesting speed runs and stuff.

I think he's more talking about the name specifically.

Really, call the game whatever you want. Sonic Fusion doesn't have anything in its title like Advance or Rush, and neither do a lot of other fan games. I'd work on your concept more though before worrying about a name (since we've now established it's more of a fan game than a public engine.. right?).

I hope you decide on using the real Sonic Worlds as a base. It's got the best 360 base engine within it, plus a great animation system. That's the only way this will truly be an equivalent to Worlds for Advance style games. Of course it will take a lot of programming and editing to make it feel like Advance. But you have to program that stuff no matter which base you use. Also don't use that resolution sprites that small need a smaller resolution. Just change it to the standard resolution of 320x224 or maybe 320x240 and be done with it. I really like the idea of having a solid Advance style base, I just hope you do it the best way possible.