A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Skywind: Episode II

TailsSena

The homing attack breaks the game almost everytime i try to use it. You might want to take it out until it works.

You know Blazefire, there's something about this post that urks me. Well, a few things really.

Tried homing attack, and it straight away didn't work, I am now currently stuck at an enemy, shaking while knuckles keeps jumping. Serious, your homing attack is not even functional if not BARELY. It has so many glitches. The worst part is I know how they are caused when it happens. That resolution is so big most of the game rooms look really empty in areas. Honestly, WHAT IS WITH people making fucking loading screens in MMF2 games? They serve no purpose other than to delay the player from getting to the actual game. This is something that I think it very VERY stupid. MMF2 loads everything almost in an instant. There is never really a reason to trigger something to load in another frame. Just get to the point with it.

Okay so if you claim to know why the homing attack is glitching, don't you think it would be even a little helpful to tell him why it's happening instead of rubbing it in his face? Not even commenting on more resolution whining...boy i wish you people give that dumb shit a rest. And uh, are you seriously complaining a loading screen? Really? The fucking 2 second loading screen? Are you going to tell him to remove the level cards, or make the Sonic Worlds logo scroll as plain text on the title screen screen so it won't "delay the player" anymore?

Now, one REALLY stupid thing you didn't do was keep the abilities to their own respective characters. For example, I can do the homing attack as any character. Even then, in any small chance. It still NEVER works or completes its homing attack cycle.

I figured the characters were obviously just placeholders with the respective sprites in place. There's nothing stupid about that. At least it shouldn't be considered stupid when you've already gone on about the condition of the homing attack.

Speaking of the homing attack, Sena im assuming something went wrong, because you said you had it working in a previous post. Because it isn't working in the slightest right now, at all.

Again, like I said last time. What is with the crappy MIDI's? Is it me alone who just thinks they sound horrible and are ridiculous to use these days due to the fact that it supports MP3's OGG's MOD's IT's and others.

We're bashing midi now, haha. Maybe he doesn't understand how to use them. And even if he did and chose not to....is it really worth even mentioning at this point in progress?

This has many ways to go and I also think this game should be only a project only on your part. I personally don't think this has what it takes nor the common collaboration standard to become something that would be one. It all seems very "Make a topic and people help out with my project" Based.

I think this is what did it for me. What is it that that make you think you're even remotely helpful saying some retarded shit like that? This is what this forum is for. What, you expect him to just automagically get these things? Since when did asking for feedback become a subject of ridicule?

Why does it feel like im criticizing criticisms more than fangames these days? I used to think this place was a great for criticism, but we've gotten terrible at that too apparently. Everyone seemingly feels the need to bash the simplest things as if they're in direct competition with one another. Even when i agree with you guys, the criticism here lately sounds far more combative than anything. "constructive" or "helpful" seems to only be a byproduct of that.

Yeah I agree with Sereph and DW. Your post is eqivielent to a flat out flame BlazefireLP.

Honestly, WHAT IS WITH people making fucking loading screens in MMF2 games?

All caps is the equivalent to screaming on the net. Try this go to a crowded place pick a single person and scream "WHAT IS WITH YOU". See how they react. If its not appropriate behavior in real life, its probably not approbate on the internet.

They serve no purpose other than to delay the player from getting to the actual game. This is something that I think it very VERY stupid. MMF2 loads everything almost in an instant. There is never really a reason to trigger something to load in another frame. Just get to the point with it.

Well now I know you think "it very very stupid". But that really isn't constructive. No, its rude and the point could have been made without this sentence.

Now, one REALLY stupid thing you didn't do was keep the abilities to their own respective characters.

There's that stupid word again and you were so kind as to cap lock "REALLY" so everyone could exactly how stupid you think it was.

I could go on but I think my point is made. Your not even trying to be slightly polite here. You come across as completely arrogant. And nothing you have done warrants such arrogance. You just create engine test after engine test remember?

It took me years to figure out how to make decent fan games. Yet you act like our newer members should just have it all figured out and if they don't they should unquestionable listen to your opinion. Well that's not going to happen especially when you act so damn rude.

Oh and Tails your game crashed on me too Win7.

Everyone's so hostile this week. :<

Tails, the game loads up and runs fine for me, but the Homing Attack is completely borked. I didn't even get one successful attack in. Attacking when the enemy is to your right leaves you stuck in an attack frame, so you need to fix up the "destruct" part of your enemy object. Attacking when the enemy is on the left completely wrecks your ass; sending you flying off to the top of the screen.

Now, my Homing Attack is broken, but not this bad. ;D

So, current advice; fix the homing attack. :3

Not for 1-5 seconds though. Like in Worlds. It has one but it is instantaneous. It only last for 03 of a milisecond. This is a loading screen that has a purpose. When other people do it, it commonly is done because they somehow think it makes it seem better. When in-fact it wastes the players time.

Not for 1-5 seconds though. Like in Worlds. It has one but it is instantaneous. It only last for 03 of a milisecond. This is a loading screen that has a purpose. When other people do it, it commonly is done because they somehow think it makes it seem better. When in-fact it wastes the players time.

If he wants to simulate a loading screen in HIS fangame, then who really cares? Let him do what he wants. If you disagree then you can disagree, but dont complain about it as if it's somehow a sign of "bad game design" or some dumb shit.

Find something worth talking about. Quit trying to find random things just to bitch at, because it's starting to get annoying. And this isn't even my game.

Yet it is still called SonicAdvanceWorlds and is supposed to be a collaboration. I assume is still being. A fake loading screen in my opinion is "dumb shit" sereph.

Uhmm... It's not as 'fake' as you think... Like LH said it's to register global values A and B, and at the same time making sure transitions don't get skipped and crash the game more than it already does, just like in the WorldsDelta. I can shorten it, even make it dependant on your computer. (Uf you could run the game at this stage, option two should be better than option one.)

On a posative note, I'm cramming in some new features whenever I have time. Expext at least a two month period of text-based updates until next release, unless I deem otherwise.

Oh, BlazefireLP... It is your homing attack code poorly ported by me, so I must assume you have full knowledge of it. I believe I know why it's broken as well. That green target bubble is not relocated on contact. Do I destroy it, or put it somewhere else? If the latter, then where? ...For both our sakes... So you don't have to bitch, and the rest of us don't have to put up with a gimmick that breaks upon use.

So you are adding a loading screen to set two global values?

Do you realize how many nanoseconds it takes to set two global values compared what you need to actually load your loading screen? And if the transitions are causing crashes, take them out. You can always make your own fade effects, and invoke them with global events using a loop-based subroutine.

Ok, played this.

The homming attack doesn't work at all (at least for me). Everytime or I got stucked in the air, or the foreground went missing and just the background were shown.

I'd pressed "A" while the Character Selection was appearing, and got 2 Sonics.

There are a lot of tweakings to perform, especially in the animation department (I'd found Sonic's sprites changing to slow, he was "walking" in a "run" speed, those things) the level design looks ok, could be better, have more loops and turns.

There isn't much else to comment, I guess so... That's it. Also my game crashed ALOT of times, but people already said that. The other bugs that I'd found, were already posted in here. :3

Good luck with the project.

Yes, thank you. I'm well aware homing attack has issues. Redundancy is getting a little rediculus... :tstare:

And P3DR0, how on earth did you get two Sonic's? That is literally impossible outside debug mode, It prevents you from selecting a character who has already been selected. I'll see if there's any more "fortification" I can do though. Why is 2 Sonic's only possible in debug? Because of how these things are handled; Global values A and B. 0=Sonic, 1=Tails, 2=Knuckles, 3=Amy, 4=Cream. That way I don't break it by hitting F7 in the frame editor. Having 2 Sonic's is effectively a test mode, that is all.

Oh yeah... Trololol, I'm on Windows Vista here. Tests are usually done on my WinXP laptop, and it's never crashed under XP yet, just so ya'all know.

Midi is only as bad as your sound card, just bear in mind.

Actually, they are as bad as they sound in general lol.

Hey, don't mock Betaman's music!!! :amad:

He worked hard on that!

MIDI is one of the best formats, with vary little room for error, and very little room needed on your drive! It's just a list of instructions to be carried out by your audiomixer/sound preccessor.

Yet mmf2 supports much greater and better sounding things that MIDI's. Face it, you play oldschool fan-games, it is all you hear. You play fan-games from 08-09 onwards. Nothing but .IT .OGG .MP3 etc. It's just much more enjoyable to listen to rather than different compositions using the exact same instruments over and over and over again. I think I can honestly say most of us have heard MIDI's to death.

That's pretty poor logic, Blazefire.

It's like, if I was making a noire film, I wouldn't put Lady Gaga on the soundtrack.

People still use MIDIs not only to save space - a MIDI track will always be infinitely smaller than any audio file - but also to create the same feel as the classic games.

Personally, I plan on including the option in my fangames, to have full 320 HD MP3 audio heaven, or MIDIs playing. :P

Yet mmf2 supports much greater and better sounding things that MIDI's. Face it, you play oldschool fan-games, it is all you hear. You play fan-games from 08-09 onwards. Nothing but .IT .OGG .MP3 etc. It's just much more enjoyable to listen to rather than different compositions using the exact same instruments over and over and over again. I think I can honestly say most of us have heard MIDI's to death.

You do know we as a community had to gradually learn to use MP3s in our games, right?

Once again, he has midi's in his game. It acts like music, it sounds like music, it IS music, it's a smaller file and there is nothing wrong with it except for the fact that it is not an Mp3.

Why are you so dead set on the method of music he is using, oh my god.

Yes sereph, I have been a lurker for years as you already know.

What I am saying is I am just sick of MIDI's that's all. I am just saying their are better musical methods out their. I'm not saying "YOU MUST USE MP3!" or anything. Just a suggestion or a form of criticism. As everything I say or have said is.

TailsSena: How do you know MMF2 doesn't support .IT if you don't even know what it is? MMF2 does support MP3 as well. It supports some module files too. You can use DirectShow for MP3's and can use .OGG vorbis internally or externally. Based on my personal experience, OGG is recommended. If you get yourself a copy of Audacity, converting won't be a problem.

.Wav is a very bad decision as it is the heaviest in file size and usually has poor compression. Use .wav and it'll send your overall file size SKY HIGH.