A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Skywind: Episode II

TailsSena

The gallery is a nice touch.

The invincibility particles after picking up a ring look rather nice.

And the homing attack is usable.

Nice work =)

However, the mode 7 water is making it run slow for me. I'd switch that out for some fancy looking animated water.

Made with an active object of course.

It is OK, but seems only OK to me. Still lacks the diferential. You should also increase its deacceleration, and make the Helper respawn if he's too far from the camera.

The effects are alright too. But yeah, you need to spend a bit more of a bunch of time on this, either to polish the level more (some tiles just don't fit), either to brainstorm more too.

You know, I say this because I've already seen many Advance-related games over there, and they all seem to aim for the same thing: Reproduce the Advance gameplay. And, more than reproducing the Classic gameplay, it just seems boring. Try making something more original on the gameplay here.

You should convert the MP3's to OGG, Smaller, acceptable quality, and you can integrate them into your game, unless you were aiming for custom soundtracks...

If anyone can make the animation, I can handle the scrolling. (I think)

...Or I can try optimizing the Mode 7 some more... I'll give THAT a shot first.

I can make the animation, but I'll need to know where to get the island and sky sprites for the reflection.

EDIT:

Got 'em, I'll whip something up

• Like 1

You should also increase its deacceleration, and make the Helper respawn if he's too far from the camera.

Decel should be easy enough, though I believe Knuckles and Cream have good deceleration. Each character has their own movement values set at the start.

There was code for the Partner to relocate at your XY when it was more than 800px from you, but the engine just ignored it, so I deleted it. (I think)... I'll try a different action sometime.

The effects are alright too. But yeah, you need to spend a bit more of a bunch of time on this, either to polish the level more (some tiles just don't fit), either to brainstorm more too.

Not good at brainstorming/level design. That's why I'm not on the Level Collab. I will try, though.

You know, I say this because I've already seen many Advance-related games over there, and they all seem to aim for the same thing: Reproduce the Advance gameplay. And, more than reproducing the Classic gameplay, it just seems boring. Try making something more original on the gameplay here.

This isn't even a Beta yet, more like a pre-Alpha test to keep you in the loop. So, just sayin' but I wouldn't pass judgement on the fun factor yet... Not by a long-shot.

I encountered this glitch where Knuckles tried gliding, but I think that I did it just as he was hitting the floor, and the control just slipped away and I was unable to continue.

Might wanna fix that.

It probably has something to do with judging whether Knuckles is on the ground or not. But I have no clue, since I don't use MMF2

I encountered this glitch where Knuckles tried gliding, but I think that I did it just as he was hitting the floor, and the control just slipped away and I was unable to continue.

Might wanna fix that.

It probably has something to do with judging whether Knuckles is on the ground or not. But I have no clue, since I don't use MMF2

Yeah, bug that I dunno how to fix... Ported it from Worlds, soooo yeah.

I think it's because it never animates the sliding and getting up, so it never exists the sliding state.

BTW, concept of the game has been revised to basically "What if Shigesato Itoi made a Sonic game, magically had rights to every game character on TSR, and was obsessed with particle effects."

Fix the homing attack spring glitch

I have to hold fully just to go to max height, if not I go up a few pixels thats all

I'm trying, but I can't find what's telling it to set YSpeed to -4 instead of -16!! This is getting annoying.

:I

Not bad I guess

Elaborate please. What would make it better? A background? If so, what shoud it beeeeeeeee??

SonicFan2010: I recommend you look this up

TailsSena: Not necessarily a bad thing, it just means you conquered one more problem :). -1 bug. Also, I wasn't joking about the "Testing" part.

Once I find to get it up, sure... AP classes rip the life out of you... :asweatdrop:

...And I havn't fixed the one you created with your post...

Okay, did a quick play through and:

I think the flying must be broken because it is so damn hard to trigger it. It's probably the order of your code that is one of the problems.

Why are the sound effects of low quality? Surely you can't tell me you couldn't find any better ones about. You could use my SonicAdvance2 SFX rips on the SFGHQ mainsite.

Most of the animations are missing. There are no springing animations and others are missing. Most of them are animated poorly, they move around when they shouldn't and should be stationary not jitterbugging about like their's an earthquake.

The camera seems a bit faulty. It will flicker and jerk all around the place sometimes. Especially when turning around or going through a loop.

The movement of the characters feels very sticky and the jumping height is ridiculously high. Lower it quite a bit.

The level design is frustrating, boring and linier. What makes me most annoying is the overuse of "Character behind tiles" business you've got going on. Most of the time I find it hard to get to where I want. That is assuming I can actually see where it is I need to get to. It seems to be (Spring) (Flat sprint) (Loop) over and over again.

The ring-loss seems to be completely not functional. They literary look like they just fall to barely any distance and are all grouped into one ring (which is in reality 35 rings)

Knuckles sometimes going through any slope or loop does NOT rotate with an angle. Knuckles is missing his ability to glide (properly) and climb. I was very disappointed to see you didn't make climbing. Once again, trying to actually glide was a hard task of which that could be avoided if it was just coded properly. I don't know what you've done but it should be more like this:

Button01 of Player01 is pressed

Ground = 0 [set Action to (Number that gliding does here]

Action = 1

Something along the lines of that.

When spindashing, Knuckles just doing his animation he does for doing push-ups from SonicAdv3 when becoming impatient. I spin dashed into a spring and was forever bouncing and couldn't move on the X axis what so ever.

One final thing, I went into the "GALLERY" and saw my avatar and name. However, you spelled my nickname wrong.

It says

< BlazefileLP >

You also spelled "DimensionWinnie" Wrong apart from that, everything else was fine. xD

Overall this still needs a lot of work put into it, It feels very sluggish and lacking for something to be called SonicAdvanceWorlds it doesn't feel at all like any of the SonicAdvance games IMO. Anyway, at this point I turned the game off so I guess this is all I have to say. I hope some of what I said helped you in some sense.

I think the flying must be broken because it is so damn hard to trigger it. It's probably the order of your code that is one of the problems.

You have to be falling/have positive YSpeed.

Why are the sound effects of low quality? Surely you can't tell me you couldn't find any better ones about. You could use my SonicAdvance2 SFX rips on the SFGHQ mainsite.

Those where actually the best I could find anywhere. I didn't notice any poor quality anyway, even with earbuds.

Most of the animations are missing. There are no springing animations and others are missing. Most of them are animated poorly, they move around when they shouldn't and should be stationary not jitterbugging about like their's an earthquake.

Sonic (1P) has a spring animation, but it's never used out of fairness toward the others out of my laziness in not making their spring animations... And how is it "earthquakey and poor?"

The camera seems a bit faulty. It will flicker and jerk all around the place sometimes. Especially when turning around or going through a loop.

It's your camera, good sir. You just didn't have loops in the '06 demo.

The movement of the characters feels very sticky and the jumping height is ridiculously high. Lower it quite a bit.

Srsly?

The level design is frustrating, boring and linier. What makes me most annoying is the overuse of "Character behind tiles" business you've got going on. Most of the time I find it hard to get to where I want. That is assuming I can actually see where it is I need to get to. It seems to be (Spring) (Flat sprint) (Loop) over and over again.

Yeah, I need to work on that...

The ring-loss seems to be completely not functional. They literary look like they just fall to barely any distance and are all grouped into one ring (which is in reality 35 rings)

It's 32... You broke it if you got 35... And the rings are from one of Damizean's engines.

Knuckles sometimes going through any slope or loop does NOT rotate with an angle. Knuckles is missing his ability to glide (properly) and climb. I was very disappointed to see you didn't make climbing. Once again, trying to actually glide was a hard task of which that could be avoided if it was just coded properly. I don't know what you've done but it should be more like this:

Button01 of Player01 is pressed

Ground = 0 [set Action to (Number that gliding does here]

Action = 1

Something along the lines of that.

It is something like that...

And I'll try to get climbing in sometime...

When spindashing, Knuckles just doing his animation he does for doing push-ups from SonicAdv3 when becoming impatient. I spin dashed into a spring and was forever bouncing and couldn't move on the X axis what so ever.

He doesn't have a real spindash animation, sooooo....

And yeah, that's the bug your post made yesterday...

One final thing, I went into the "GALLERY" and saw my avatar and name. However, you spelled my nickname wrong.

It says

< BlazefileLP >

You also spelled "DimensionWinnie" Wrong apart from that, everything else was fine. xD

Overall this still needs a lot of work put into it, It feels very sluggish and lacking for something to be called SonicAdvanceWorlds it doesn't feel at all like any of the SonicAdvance games IMO. Anyway, at this point I turned the game off so I guess this is all I have to say. I hope some of what I said helped you in some sense.

Oh... Oops.

Heh-heh... Yeah. Still got a long way to go, huh?

Yeah, but you'll get there. You seem like you have great determination for this project and if you needed a hand I wouldn't mind helping you out if you wanted. Hey, maybe I could teach you a thing or two. I can rip quite well, I can sprite a bit and I can rip SFX and almost anything from SonicAdvance series. I even ripped the musical instruments from them haha. Shame Retro will never see em >:U. But yeah, main thing is, This has some ways to go but I am confident you can get there. Your standards of things will change over time and you'll look back and thing. How on earth did that become in my eyes to be good? You will question your level of presentation later on. I know I did "Still do" xD.