A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Fan Games: Anyone Want To Revisit The Past? - BIG UPDATE PG 9

sonicyoda

Can't believe I missed out on the Chudoku version 2! Some nice little improvements here and there. Dangermouse has a new running animation for starters!

Playing Sonic Ki for the first time in ages; what a fantastic game that was. The whole Ki idea was such a great little concept and something completely original. You don't get a lot of that nowadays!

• Like 1

It seems a waste that all this content hasn't been archived anywhere online.

I've always enjoyed the output from SAGE and SFGHQ in general and felt it was a shame that a lot of this stuff has been lost to the test of time. Okay, most of it is pretty bad by today's standards but there's still a lot of cool ideas kicking about in some of these games.

Also, like the original Sonic games on the old Mega Drive, I've actually got quite a lot of nostalgia for these fangames and it would appear I'm not alone! It's like revisiting the golden age of fangaming but without the rose-tinted view!

Our games/demos now a days are way bigger than these old ones. I think that if we packaged newer games together file sizes would become unreasonably large. I'd rather just see the demo section get added back to the site (no tech demos of course) and put the SAGE demos on it after SAGE. I believe the reason why the demo section was taken down was because it was too hard to update the site with all the new demos coming out. That's no longer a problem we're lucky if we get 1 demo release per month. So I think we could split the game section into three sections finished games, unfinished games, and old school games.

Agreed, I'd like to see that happen very much.

Also, I forgot to say: Paradoxx; your Radical Sonic engine test was probably the coolest thing I ever stumbled across back when I first found this place and the reason I got into Crush 40. Never heard of them prior to that release because I never owned a Dreamcast in its' hey-day and that little section of Revvin' Up just pushed all the right buttons for me.

Plus, your logo was fucking awesome!

good god.

I remember playing all these thinking they were THE BOMB.

pfft... I've literally been pissing myself laughing for half an hour at how bad most of these games are.

sonic fangames have come a loooong way since then :P

I forgot I did some stuff for Chaos Control... can't remember what it was though.

Haha, you're not alone Ristar. Those rose-tinted glasses clearly not working for you either?

You'd be suprised how decent some of the engines were before Sonic Worlds came along though. As I've mentioned, Radical Sonic is an awesome little tech demo. Sonic Groove has a great little platform engine going on, just a shame about the lack of loops. Sonic DIY is still an awesome piece of kit which I wished Clwe expanded a little more. You can make some fantastic levels with it and they all play exactly like a Sonic game should. I'm also a firm believer that no-one has done a Sonic fighter as good as the Sonic the Fighters 2 demo. Pro Shadow Blaze is getting close but that Sonic the Fighters 2 demo just feels so fluid and easy.

I forgot I did some stuff for Chaos Control... can't remember what it was though.

Oh yeah, I did stuff for that game too, not that it ever got finished and most of the time was spent making long elaborate trailers. I recall doing a lot of art for the game including all the codec character animations. I still have a bunch of this stuff knocking about too.

I hear MJ2, the main man behind the game, is a pro basketball player now.

Agreed, I'd like to see that happen very much.

Also, I forgot to say: Paradoxx; your Radical Sonic engine test was probably the coolest thing I ever stumbled across back when I first found this place and the reason I got into Crush 40. Never heard of them prior to that release because I never owned a Dreamcast in its' hey-day and that little section of Revvin' Up just pushed all the right buttons for me.

Plus, your logo was fucking awesome!

Heh, thanks dude, thanks Overbound too! Too bad that I got bored of MMF and started doing another engine in C++, but then real life prevented me to finish it =/

And Revvin' Up is their best song, better than the Sonic ones...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've been looking for something like this for a long time! I remember downloading the Sonic Chudoku SAGE exclusive (and of course, losing it along with countless other fan games) a long time ago. In any case, it's unfortunate that I can't find many of the games I remember in any of these collections.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate but may I post some requests for some Sonic fan games here? I pretty much found all of these in the Demo/Incomplete/Scrap Heap sections of SFGHQ back in the day.

Demos:

Sonic Triple Trouble

(This game started with a level that looked a lot like Spring Yard Zone. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about it.)

Goldenfinger

(This was basically a non-interactive Sonic game in which the characters played the parts of the people from the movie; I recall that Tails who was dressed up as Odd Job was electrified by a fan at the end.)

When Sonic Discovered Tails

(I remember this game started with a weird scanned drawing of Sonic and Tails; upon starting the game, one would be treated to a level set to the Green Hill Zone music.)

Sonic Forever

(I really got my hopes up after seeing this one listed in one of the collections but it turns out the one I am looking for is completely different! In any case, the one I remember had Sonic contending with odd enemies such as walking color changing crayons; the music of the level was Hidden Palace; it was definitely one of the most interesting Sonic fan games I've played.)

This one was from SAGE but I forgot the name:

(A demo from SAGE years ago that featured nice hand-drawn cutscenes. I recall that the game started with a camera panning from the bottom of Sonic's feet to his head. I think he was standing on an emerald. I remember playing this an endless amount of times.)

Also, forgot the name of this one (Found this one from searching Internet)

It was basically a Sonic game with a complete 3D engine set in a gray city (or something along those lines?). The music was set to techno/trance or something like that.

Can somebody help me?

I've been looking for this Fan game since 2004.

It had isometric levels (or something like that), the first level had Emerald Hill's tiles and Green Grove's music from Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn edition), in the second level Sonic was chased by a big rock, just like Indiana Jones.

Well im glad to see all this old demos coming up again XDD, is fun to play them once in a while.

For me i have some old demos as well here, im uploading them to a Mediafire folder, but is kinda extensive like 100 MB more or less i know it isnt 1GB but is all i could find XDD

the list goes this way:

-Sonic Madness

-Sonic 2099

-Sonic Adventure Remix

-Sonic Battle ME

-Sonic Project Metrix (kinda one of the first versions)

-Sonic The Hedgehog Turbo

-Sonic The Fated Hour (the one in the night set and with that plant thingy chasing you)

-Sonic XG

-Sonic Xtreme

-Sonic Xtreme Remix

-Neo Sonic Universe

-Retro Sonic

-007 Sonic Secret Agent

-Sonic Action

-Knuckles Adventure

-Sonic Jr

-Sonic Revolution

-Legendary Sonichaos

-Sonic Psychotix 3

-Ultimate Sonichaos

-Sonic Parallatic Adventure

-Sonic Robo Blast TGF

-Sonic & Knuckles Flicky Panic

-Sonic Point Of Action

For Now im uploading till Sonic Xtreme Remix, so when i have all the games uploaded i will edit this post with the link to the folder.

EDIT: Now it finished to upload all the files here is the folder with the games

http://www.mediafire.com/?umfl9jgqalj86

if somebody wants a game, i can find it and upload it there as well, just tell me about the game

• Like 1

Well im glad to see all this old demos coming up again XDD, is fun to play them once in a while.

the list goes this way:

-Sonic Point Of Action

I'm surprised that someone still has my old 3D "Sonic Point of Action" demo.

Anyways, the demo that was released during SAGE 2008 did not run on some computers (like Windows Vista and Win7). If you want an upgraded demo (that runs on all Windows platforms) you can download it from here (link).

I'm surprised that someone still has my old 3D "Sonic Point of Action" demo.

Anyways, the demo that was released during SAGE 2008 did not run on some computers (like Windows Vista and Win7). If you want an upgraded demo (that runs on all Windows platforms) you can download it from here (link).

is that demo actually XDD, the original demo that you say it dosnt work on some of the computers i have it as well but i cant remember now in which DVD i burn it, and i find your game pretty fun to play thou the sonic model needs work but maybe you have that fixed by now XDD, and other issues as well but is kinda pretty fun to play.

Now that reminds me i didnt uploaded Sonic Bastardized into the bunch so i will search for it and add it to the folder later on and maybe some other Sonic 3D fangame that im missing now.