A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

Bumping this thread for this particular message from SEGA:

In the San Fran. area? Sega will be holding a community gathering that will include a fan feedback session for Sonic 4.

It's "reservation only", so you might want to go here on their blog to reserve a spot if you want to give them feedback on Sonic 4.

Edit: P.S.: Thought you guys should know.

A genuine screenshot from the iPhone version, and the big plot twist is finally revealed, sideways, in true Sonic 4 style!

e22a6928.jpg

IT WAS ME! I'm responsible for all your sideways Sonics standing around on the walls! And you suckers ain't seen nothing yet, just wait till you see how much of a mess I make with Episode 2!

Although I don't seem to remember doing any of this. SEGA must have wiped my memory, although this does explain why I seem to be good at PS3 Special Stage 5.

What.

You have betrayed the Retro Sonic movement, doc.

"And you suckers ain't seen nothing yet, just wait till you see how much of a mess I make with Episode 2!"

Then will Episode 2 have those areas like in Time Attacked where if you fall you have to climb through the whole level again?

(Yeah, yeah, i shouldn't give him any more ideas...)

For Episode 2 we're putting in werehog levels, flying levels that are played as one long QTE sequence, SA2-style shooting and gem searching levels and we're throwing the laws of physics out the window entirely, it'll be coded so badly, Sonic (and many other characters) may come out of your screen! No need for any fancy 3D TV or 3DS, now he'll be able to stand on YOUR wall and even your ceiling! Lots of jumping mine carts, less robots, more mutants to fight, oh, and there will even be levels that play themselves, you won't even have to hold right!

The game will have 260219821337 characters, with terrible voice acting you will need to listen to for clues to get through each level. Episode 1 didn't have enough cutscenes, but Episode 2 will have hundreds, and each will be at least an hour long and unskippable, and we're bringing back a certain love story from 2006!

The game will have levels based on Angel Island Zone, Mushroom Hill Zone, Text Box Zone and Large Sausage Roll Zone. All Sonic levels will be played entirely underwater!

I bet you all can't wait to pay your £/€/@/¥/$1,000,000,000,000,000,000 for the game, it'll be worth every penny! Even though every version will be exactly the same (except the iPhone one, which will be an unfinished version like Episode 1), you have to buy it on EVERY platform we release it on as well as re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release it on BECAUSE IT'S SONIC, and if you don't, you're not a real fan... and you'll die a terrible, terrible death, but it's mainly the fan thing everyone will worry about.

*Prepares to die*

I see that you guys dont like anything.

I like Fable 3, Mass Effect 2, New Super Mario Bros, Sonic 1 through Adventure 2, Legend of Zelda games, Half Life 2, Burnout games, Just Cause, The Force Unleashed, Victorman 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country, Banjo & Kazooie, Halo Reach. To name a few.

I cant help but believe his predictions about QTE segments will be true.

In all honesty, i believe Episode 1 pretty much set the benchmark for the Sonic 4 series. Im pretty sure the engine will not change, only the levels included in the game. Therefore, anyone hoping for further improvement likely wont be getting any.

And im not going to lie, I DID go looking for issues with the game. It doesn't matter because it doesn't change anything. They're still there. Like i've been saying, i wont say the game isn't fun. It's entertaining. But to call this game a sequel to S3&K, or even a "return to classic sonic" is a bitch slap to the face.

I think the platforming genre has just been so terribly inflated that they forgot what it meant to play a good one.....either that, or Sega has payed the SHIT out of these reviewers. I really dont get this shit. I mean, im not saying this deserves to get trashed, but the only thing they "got right" was the fact that it's 2D and doesn't have a boost button. I dont wanna keep on the "bash the game" wagon, but i really dont see anything redeeming about this game. It's just like any other Sonic game sega's done, it's just in 2D and had a horrible marketing scandal tied to it.

Every time i hear a review on this game, or hear Sega talk about it, or hear someone praise it, i seriously feel like they're all trying to pull one over on us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump and double post.

GameSpot and Sega are finally putting out the first trailer for Sonic 4 Ep 2 tomorrow, so I'm watching cautiously. Brad, I hope they implemented the feedback you guys gave them. Otherwise, it'll be fated to be mediocre like the episode before it. Well, in regards to physics and level design.

Sorry for the bump and double post.

GameSpot and Sega are finally putting out the first trailer for Sonic 4 Ep 2 tomorrow, so I'm watching cautiously. Brad, I hope they implemented the feedback you guys gave them. Otherwise, it'll be fated to be mediocre like the episode before it. Well, in regards to physics and level design.

What was so bad about the physics?

I thought they were very neat for the game.

It makes it different.

Who cares that he can't get as much speed as Sonic 3 did.

It is what it is.

Also, level design.

Did it ever occur to anyone that it's possible they made the level designs look just like some from the past because Episode 1 may have been a test to us?

Meaning just showing us what the next game was going to be like.

That's what I think Episode 1 is supposed to be.

It's amazing how i can read a post from a year ago and wonder why i wrote it
The feeling is mutual. I think Ep 1 brought out the worst in a lot of us.

Hopefully whatever is revealed tomorrow won't be disappointed, or at least let us know what to expect from this game without several more months of ridiculous hype.

What they revealed after the teaser trailer seems pretty promising. Talk is cheap, but I'm fairly certain this will turn out better. Ken Balough did say that the advertising campaign will be basically the same as the one for Ep. 1, save for some minor changes and Webber not being there. Also, speaking of Ken, I admit, that was pretty awesome what he did with his beard and sideburns.