A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

Is it really so much to ask for a game that is made in appreciation to the flows of the classics that observes what made them great without feeling the need to out-and-out plagiarize from them? Will we ever see a truly amazing Sonic game again? Am I unable to express my opinions without asking them in the form of questions?

Yeah that's about where I am DW. To me its insulting that they would even think that bringing back rehash stuff is what we want. Sonic 1 is a classic but you can only fucking play GHZ so many times. As the old saying should have gone Fish and GHZ smell in 3 days.

Personally, I'd rather see a Sonic Adventure Sonic only (1 not 2) style game than this. Sonic Adventure was actually quite good I think people forget that because the rest of the 3D games suck, well SA2 didn't suck but it was defiantly steering the series in the wrong direction. Anyway though Sonic Adventure was great the levels were big and had some limited exploring opportunities, multiple paths, and the level's didn't suffer from death traps everywhere. Even better would be to mix it with Mario Galaxy (no not the gravity) where each level has multiple missions and takes you to a different area of a single level all the while keeping the nice mix of platforming and speed in Sonic Adventure.

IDK if its me or the forum but it keeps giving me that wait 60 seconds message and when I wait and post I find that it went through in the first place and now I've triple posted.

Honestly? I get what Overbound is trying to say, and it's really this small theory I have with Sonic games in general: "A good Sonic game is a good Mario game on roller skates; a bad Sonic game is a good Sonic game with pits and glitches everywhere."

Think about it: what made the "Number Series" Sonic games (that is 1-3, S&K, and CD) so good? They had a balanced mixture of platforming and speed, and even a small bit of puzzle (raise your hand if you ever got stuck in Carnival Night like I did); not much was different between the two in this era. You were running and jumping around trying to get to the end of the level, just like in Mario games; you were just faster (and as such, harder to control) in Sonic games.

Now where did it go wrong? Level design. Before, you had levels that you could explore and branching paths, but enough speed for some players to not care; now, you have what I call "stepping stones over the void" (that is, levels with more bottomless pit/"death water" in them than actual ground). Before, you had solid gameplay that suffered from a few minor bugs (and a few humorous ones); now, you have linear levels with trial and error jumps, various control issues, and collision bugs that don't exactly help (granted, no 3D Sonic game besides Sonic "Two Thousand Suck" really comes CLOSE to offending the latter, but it IS apparent in a few other games at some specific points). Whatever happened to just taking Mario's newest level design ideas and making levels that accommodate for roller skates?

My point is this: if and only if Sonic games go back to his old formula of being faster Mario games (that are harder to control as a result), he will take a huge step on the path to his eventual redemption.

So yeah, on the topic of this game; I remain neutral to Sonic 4 since it doesn't seem to be a bad game yet. I'll just say "When I play it, I will form an opinion on it."

Is it really so much to ask for a game that is made in appreciation to the flows of the classics that observes what made them great without feeling the need to out-and-out plagiarize from them? Will we ever see a truly amazing Sonic game again? Am I unable to express my opinions without asking them in the form of questions?

Find out the answers to these, and more exciting questions in the next episode of Dimension Warped: Private Eye!

I didn't really have any trouble with Carnival night Zone the first time I played. Anyway, it really does bother me that they can't figure out that the reason it was cool to go fast in Sonic was because you couldn't all the time and sometimes you had to work for it. Instead they just make it so you can dash in the air and give you a boost button and if you don't hold right and push the boost button you fall in a hole and die.

So, they're not buying a downloadable game (meaning it costed Sega nothing to make copies), and instead buying another one of Sega's games that costs exactly the same, and was a port that costed them virtually nothing to make?

Hahaha... Wow. That's genius!

Overbound registers the 666th post. This thread is now officially Satan.

Endri, I think if you would have said anything, there would be something leaked later that would prove that you were correct. Don't listen to the Retro/Stadium queefs with all of their doubts. They have so much sunshine blasted up their asshole that they won't believe ANYTHING ANYBODY TELLS THEM.

With the wrecking ball boss and other shit like Metrop...erm... "Mad Gear Zone," I'm convinced that I've played this game before. I want old look, new content... NOT new look, old content. SEGA doesn't fucking get it.

"Sonic 4" shouldn't be fanservice. It should be a proper sequel. They were so ballsy for that naming choice, ballsy enough to dig their own grave.

Endri, I think if you would have said anything, there would be something leaked later that would prove that you were correct. Don't listen to the Retro/Stadium queefs with all of their doubts. They have so much sunshine blasted up their asshole that they won't believe ANYTHING ANYBODY TELLS THEM.

I guess I'm a queef. Well, half-queef since I'm not outright denying the validity of anything. I cannot say for sure whether the information is correct or not, I cannot say its false since I have no proof it isn't but at the same time I have no real reason to put all my faith into the leak because I also can't say for sure if its genuine. I'm not just like this for this series, and its most definitely not because its something I don't want to hear (which I gather is most of the reasons as to why people are saying he is a fake), its just that my views for whatever game series leak will only really be solidified once the company comes out and says things officially. Its not a crime to be a bit skeptical on a leak you know.

Yeah that is really stupid. Actually I think its beyond stupid all that will do is making Sega think that by releasing a Sonic game of any kind will increase brand awareness and make all Sonic games sell better.
wonder what happens if I change the words around a bit
Yeah that is really stupid. Actually I think its beyond stupid all that will do is making Nintendo think that by releasing a Mario game of any kind will increase brand awareness and make all Mario games sell better.
:asmile:

The forum count is kind of screwed up because of deleted post I'd image count back from this post I am the king of Darkness as they say at home GO TO HELL.

Wha- it seems like you merged three or more sentences together.

..Yeah, back to Sonic 4..