A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

As far as the parallax layers- they're clearly paper thin on purpose.

Why would they choose to make the parallax layers paper thin and completely unrealistic looking while they're using realistic 3D graphics? It's ugly whether it was done on purpose or not.

edit: also ilu worm <3

The background layers are flat because they're designed to look like the parallax from the old games- essentially planes. From my understanding- it occurs naturally in any 3D environment. So clearly the decision to even have layers means it was on purpose, and if they weren't going for that look, wouldn't they have just straight-up modeled the background and let nature take care of itself?

You think it's ugly- which doesn't change the fact that the decision was made. I, on the other hand, think it looks fine in motion.

Parallax in real life and parallax in the old 2D games are completely different. In the old 2D games, backgrounds are divided into pieces that move separately as Sonic moves to give perception of distance. In real life, parallax isn't divided into layers. You're essentially seeing the objects differently because your position according to them is different. And every inch of the landscape you're looking at as you walk will look a little different as you walk past it (ie not huge parallax pieces) because the objects are not only going behind you, their angle is also changing so you're seeing them from one side to the other.

The gif you posted illustrates my point exactly. The shapes aren't flat, they're 3D and you start of seeing one side of them when they're on the right and see the other side when they're on the left. That's the nature of parallax. Now, using the old 2D method is fine if the graphic style works with it, but if they're using that realistic 3D look but they're still making it paper thin, it just looks weird. I see that they're trying to make it a cool genesis throwback, but the 3D graphics accentuate the flat paper thin distinctly divided parallax pieces. You just can't mix the two that way. The parallax layers in the genesis games were never so noticeably distinct.

If they wanted a real genesis throwback, they should've gone back to a more cartoony style, but I'm sure they wouldn't risk turning off the new age fans with it. Besides the home attack and possibly awkward looking physics, the art style is my biggest issue with this game. And I don't know if I've said it already, but the colors are so dull. I miss the bright, colorful, vibrant levels that the genesis games had.

Also, I have a problem with this sentence:

You think it's ugly- which doesn't change the fact that the decision was made.

Are you really saying I think that by calling it ugly I can somehow change the fact that the decision was made? I don't know why you'd even say that.

I think I already explained this. Robot thing only peers out of the junk heap when you don't get every emerald in Sonic and Knuckles/S3K.

Actually, when you play as Sonic in S&K, Robotnik appears laughing next to the Master Emerald if you don't get all the Chaos Emeralds. If you do get them all, the Egg Robo appears out of the ruins, and then, when you play as Knuckles you can see that all the boss fights are against Egg Robo.

Actually, when you play as Sonic in S&K, Robotnik appears laughing next to the Master Emerald if you don't get all the Chaos Emeralds. If you do get them all, the Egg Robo appears out of the ruins, and then, when you play as Knuckles you can see that all the boss fights are against Egg Robo.

Since the game was meant to be played locked on, you have to go with the ending to the game at a hundred percent completion when they are locked on. Especially since the emeralds appearance changed permanently in that game.

Neither is legit. Though, to be fair, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles didn't stand around a Sonic 3 and Knuckles logo making inane gestures at one another either.

The way I understood it way back when was that Robotnik was simply using Egg Robo to keep up the illusion that he wasn't the one dicking up Angel Island.

look like the sonic cycle is wide in the second part, still undecided whether to balance into good or bad... we need more gameplay footage and more hands on to break the cycle completely.

Look decent so far BUT hardly exciting.

Some friend trick me with a video of SONIC XG (

) saying sega is doing Sonic 4 RIGHT! Googling for more i have seen the real footage... When an official game look less awesome and inoovative than a fangame, you know...

:ssleep:

Hope they quit with QTE like gameplay, bottomless pit, blind into depth run, stupid "best branching path", dull cinematic speed corridor... They still have many way to fuck the level design, even trying to return to the basics.:tsleep:

Wait and see

Okay, let's see...

First about the Homing Attack. Doesn't look like it's gonna be like the next-generation. Do you remember Sonic Advance 2's Homing Attack? Couldn't it be like this? And also, you REALLY THINK that SEGA never sees what's being done with its mascot? I mean, if they're putting homing attack here, might be because MOST PART OF THE FANGAMES HAVE THIS MOVE.

Talking about Soni's model... C'mon, guys, since Yuji Naka went off of SEGA, they never drawed Sonic wery well again. Don't expect the complete return of the Classic Sonic from the root.

And about the "Only Sonic" adventure... EPIC FAIL. Damn, from S3&K's story, I suppose that Knuckles is living again in Angel Island and is just outta the story. BUT NOT TAILS. DANG, TAILS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE LIKE HE WAS: Following Sonic.