A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Retro-Sonic XG Interview

Slingerland

Great to hear this is alive still. Only project I've been looking forward to besides Sonic Mettrix.

One thing that wasn't mentioned that I've been wondering forever now though is if there's any guess as to when the Retro Sonic engine itself will be released. That thing sounds like the next age for Sonic fangames :)

I am so unbeleivebly happy to hear that this project is still in the works!!! This is the reason I got so into fangaming! I saw the video of it, played it (like ten times) and suddenly realized, Hey! If these guys can do this maybe I can too!

What really jumps out about this game is the ambeiance, the art and silent cutscenes makes it so much like S3&K.

Probably never.

Man, I heard this same exact answer not too long ago and it ends there. Is there a reason at all? It was being touted around forever, even saying there would be a Dreamcast port. It seemed pretty much set that it'd become an eventual public tool rather than just something that a couple of people that approached him would be able to use.

Does Taxman come here at all? I don't want to sound like I'm begging here as there is the Mettrix engine anyways so it's not a huge issue...but considering it was being promised and then suddenly we only hear about it through other peoples projects now, I think it'd be fair to at least let people know what happened to the tool itself. Considering he even named the scripting or whatever as TaxReciept, it seems odd to give stuff names when it's only gonna be kept to yourself... :P

Don't consider me pissed, just at a loss on what happened. As it stands, I get the impression the only people that will ever get to use this program will be anyone who messages Taxman and proposes a port of their game to his engine, if it's "worthy" enough(which XG most certainly is :).

Man, I heard this same exact answer not too long ago and it ends there. Is there a reason at all? It was being touted around forever, even saying there would be a Dreamcast port. It seemed pretty much set that it'd become an eventual public tool rather than just something that a couple of people that approached him would be able to use.

Does Taxman come here at all? I don't want to sound like I'm begging here as there is the Mettrix engine anyways so it's not a huge issue...but considering it was being promised and then suddenly we only hear about it through other peoples projects now, I think it'd be fair to at least let people know what happened to the tool itself. Considering he even named the scripting or whatever as TaxReciept, it seems odd to give stuff names when it's only gonna be kept to yourself... :P

Don't consider me pissed, just at a loss on what happened. As it stands, I get the impression the only people that will ever get to use this program will be anyone who messages Taxman and proposes a port of their game to his engine, if it's "worthy" enough(which XG most certainly is :).

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to see the RSDK around for a while. My focus is on RSXG, since I'm the leading man behind it now. Euan has actually stepped out, since he's too busy to work on it anymore (so it's actually the merger that saved XG from cancellation in a way ;P). Not that he hasn't already done his share already, with all the zone art that came with the merger.

Also, there's no written documentation with the RSDK at this point. The Nexus gang have learnt it pretty much direct contact with me. Their testing has also given me feedback as to how I could make additions/improvements along the way. If I had to do the same with anyone that wanted to use it, I'd have no time whatsoever. So yeah, perhaps later on... but don't hold your breath for it just yet.

I assume by your definition of "a while" is more more like at least year's time or untill Nexus is completed?

It's not the really matters to me. For now, we have the E02 Engine by Sealth, the ProSonic Engine by Saxman, 360 Engines for MMF 1&2, TGF and GM and I think there's one more I missing. Hmm.

Anyway, the interview pretty much anwsered most of my question anyway.

Anyways, good luck Taxman and team Nexus.

Um cool. Loads of official stuff...

Well, we're happy that you're finishing RSXG. Im my generation (XP), loads of good fangames demos were built and put on the internet, but most part of them were never finished. This is disgusting. (Why am I talking bout it? You know that. Sorry, I'm not OK today D: )

Thanks Taxman for the response. It's what I've been looking for for awhile :)

And I had no idea Euan stepped out. I was under the impression without him, there's no project since he was the one that made it or something. Either way, I'm guessing it'll come out just as well as he planned it going by the look of things.

Thanks again :)

So, there will be two zones in the next game which came from the Retro Sonic beta, hm? I bet Scorched Spire and Robotic Resort were once Volcano Zone and Egg Garden, weren't they? :D

I'm really loving the new graphical overhaul this game has undergone. I especially noticed that Knuckles looks noticeably different from his previous Chaotix sprite, too. I like his new look; it looks very much like his old Sonic 3 counterpart.

Can't wait to play RSXG when it's finally released. Keep up the awesome work, Taxman! :)

I was just speaking with Euan yesterday. He didn't even know there was an interview until I brought it up. He's unfortunately just too busy with real life to keep working on Retro XG. He's really happy he did the merge a couple years ago, because luckily Taxman is able to continue working on it and Euan's work won't go to waste.

Glad to hear things are going well, Taxman. Can't wait for the release!

Hello!

Yes I only really officially stepped back a few days ago now. I really would like to keep on working on it but I have so much more going on now tis just not possible what with art schooling and tshirt designing and stuff =(

I am glad though that the ridiculous amount of level graphics, character and boss sprites ideas and and everything else that I worked on over the past couple years isn't going to waste, and I cannot think of 2 other people I'd rather see wrap the project up. Taxman and Nite' are pretty awesome.

I am going to try and be a bit more active on these forums though, so I might pop up more often now =).

I'm guessing then at the moment that RSXG is taking priority over just the basic Retro-Sonic then?

That's cool. But we need moar Dreamcast ports. *Runs*

What exactly do you mean by 'the basic Retro-Sonic'? If you're talking about the game it got merged with XG, they're one and the same now. If you're talking about the engine, It's always priority one, since I'm using it to make the game ;)

Don't you worry about ports though... way ahead of you. Although dreamcast is becoming less feasible, I'm pushing the capabilities of my software rendering library harder now, and since the DC is too slow to do software rendering at 60fps I'd have to go the hardware rendering route as I did with the last port. However, I don't want to compromise the neato effects that are in RSXG... so I think you'll most likely be playing it on a certain remote swingin' system

What exactly do you mean by 'the basic Retro-Sonic'? If you're talking about the game it got merged with XG, they're one and the same now. If you're talking about the engine, It's always priority one, since I'm using it to make the game ;)

Don't you worry about ports though... way ahead of you. Although dreamcast is becoming less feasible, I'm pushing the capabilities of my software rendering library harder now, and since the DC is too slow to do software rendering at 60fps I'd have to go the hardware rendering route as I did with the last port. However, I don't want to compromise the neato effects that are in RSXG... so I think you'll most likely be playing it on a certain remote swingin' system

Ah, I got confused with this merge, I thought Retro Sonic and RSXB were still too separate games. So I haven't kept up with the news, are levels from Retro Sonic going to be RSXG, in that case?

This is kind of off-topic, but you don't have a Non-Self Booting copy of Retro Sonic for the Dreamcast laying around do you? I can only find the SB ones and I well wanted to make a SBI (Self Boot Inducer) out of the Non-Self Booting one.

Ah, I got confused with this merge, I thought Retro Sonic and RSXB were still too separate games. So I haven't kept up with the news, are levels from Retro Sonic going to be RSXG, in that case?

This is kind of off-topic, but you don't have a Non-Self Booting copy of Retro Sonic for the Dreamcast laying around do you? I can only find the SB ones and I well wanted to make a SBI (Self Boot Inducer) out of the Non-Self Booting one.

Out of the original Retro-Sonic, 3 and a half levels have made the merge. The 'half' is because Dust Hill zone is somewhat similar to XG's Desert Dash. The Retro-Sonic levels have been completely redesigned for XG though.

As for the old Dreamcast demo, I don't have it on hand since I've just recently upgraded my desktop and only copied over stuff I wanted. I'd have to look on the old one to see if it's there. You can just use the files from the existing image though can't you?