A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Retro-Sonic XG Interview

Slingerland

I can't understand what everybody's fascination with a Dreamcast port is all about.

Because Retro Sonic on the Dreamcast was a big hit in the Homebrew scene, even though it was just a port of emerald Hill zone, IIRC, it was still pretty badass.

Is it crazy for me to expect a big, red banner of lameness about this revelation some time tomorrow morning? Cat's out of the bag now. I'd go back and edit all of it out to keep it a secret, but I bet that everybody has read it by now.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/02/27/retro-sonic-xg-port-coming-to-wii/

And of course, he found out. Interestingly, he misses the fact that it is going to be home brew entirely. It just says its going to the Wii like any other game.

I'm sure you all already figured this out, but Nexus is doing the same what with it being the same engine and all. Bob knows I've only been hinting at it for the last four months.

Ok, for all the Dreamcast fans/nuts out there, I've decided to go ahead with a DC port for RSXG. It won't be out the same time as the PC/Mac/Wii version though since it requires more tweaking than a Vanilla port.

As with the previous DC port, I have to retool the graphics to use hardware rendering instead of my own software library in order to get the full 60fps speed, and there will probably be minor graphics differences as a result. But hey think of it like Earthworm Jim 2, the graphics for that game looked different between Megadrive/Snes/Saturn etc.

• Like 1

Dang, now I REALLY want the RSDK. Too bad from what I've read it won't be released until Sonic Nexus is done, which will probably be forever.

No, they'll get it done for sure. It's recently shown considerable progress, and Slingerland's adamant on keeping that project alive. From what I've read, the new demo has a good chance of a release in the early half of this year, with three (maybe more) zones stuffed into it, so that tells us Nexus' completion is pretty much imminent.

Also, there's no written documentation with the RSDK at this point. The Nexus gang have learnt it pretty much direct contact with me. Their testing has also given me feedback as to how I could make additions/improvements along the way. If I had to do the same with anyone that wanted to use it, I'd have no time whatsoever. So yeah, perhaps later on... but don't hold your breath for it just yet.

Yes, he's planning to release it. When it's finished.