A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Retro-Sonic XG Interview

Slingerland

Man!When i read that interview i was so HAPPY!Man,this is the BEST fan project i ever seen!I played demo several times for each character to see difference in story line.It looks so nostalgic...like i played in original Sonic The Hedgehog on my Mega Drive! But still it something NEW!

Thanks man for your hard work with this project!

I Have 2 questions to you:

-When do you plan to realese/ 2nd demo realese?I mean date?

-Is it possible that you'll realese it for PSP?(This console is the best place for such kind games)

• 1 month later...
Ok, for all the Dreamcast fans/nuts out there, I've decided to go ahead with a DC port for RSXG. It won't be out the same time as the PC/Mac/Wii version though since it requires more tweaking than a Vanilla port.

As with the previous DC port, I have to retool the graphics to use hardware rendering instead of my own software library in order to get the full 60fps speed, and there will probably be minor graphics differences as a result. But hey think of it like Earthworm Jim 2, the graphics for that game looked different between Megadrive/Snes/Saturn etc.

You couldn't possibly understand how excited I am to hear about this! When you released the RetroSonic proof of concept demo, I thought that having this engine on Dreamcast would be the best thing that could possibly ever happen to for any Dreamcast owning Sonic fan. The technical perfection you achieved with this port was just mind blowing. I am sooo glad that you decide to continue supporting Dreamcast with future releases of RetroSonic. I am sure that once you made available the RSDK we will see an awful lot of great [sonic] games made with Dreamcast in mind.

Anyway, atm I am really looking forward to the game itself mostly! What I saw of RetroSonic/Engine so far (videos, demos, Nexus), as well as the screenshots of Sonic XG, does hint at something truly great! :aparty:

Well, I bumped it because I wanted to post something in response to Taxman's announcement.

Btw, here's the link to the interview, seeing as the link in the initial post is dead: http://sonicstadium.org/tag/christian-whitehead

Also, I noticed the following newspost at http://nexus.hrook.net/?p=113

April 4, 2009

RSDK Updates to Version 3.2

Hey gang, I thought I’d make a post since there hasn’t been many Nexus updates as of late.

While the others have been dealing with Cosmic Chaos and Pristine Palisade, I’ve been working hard on some major updates to both the RSDK and the Retro engine. The first thing ironically enough, is the removal of Sonic. What? I hear you say, well allow me to explain. It’s been mentioned before that since the 2008 revision of the Retro-Sonic engine, the scripting system allows for completely custom games. Now, the focus of the RSDK has shifted away from Sonic, to a multi-platform 32bit sega saturn-esque game engine. I’m actually working on a new game with the RSDK that isn’t Sonic related, but it’s very much under wraps at the moment

The naming scheme is now as follows:

Retro-Engine

RSDK (Retro Software Development Kit)

Now for a quick glossing over of a few of the things that have been added!

The RSDK is now project based, which makes it easy to manage multiple games (in my case Sonic Nexus, RSXG, and my other game)

I think that this is a fantastic idea! The possibilities of an engine like that seem almost unlimited. :tgrin:

@ Taxman: Do you think that the Dreamcast port will have to be a game specific port optimized for RSXG, or do you think it's possible to keep it game independent so that all three current RetroEngine based projects could be run with it, at least in theory ?

Erm, You realize you bumped a one month old topic...

I don't see it as a big deal, personally, considering his post had some substance to it. A month isn't all that bad anyway for a fangame thread. It's not gravedigging, yet. :awink:

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

• 3 months later...