A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

1/27/09 Sonic Worlds Release - LATEST (experimental) BUILD

Rael0505

(I've made a site update announcing this, for those of you who forget there's a site that goes with this forum.)

Thanks to Appo, we've finally combined all our new Sonic Worlds additions into one file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca690596754f6cecd8f14848abf485dd3135b6c1b0f875bd5621d66e282a0ee8

A .doc file is included with a list of all changes. Copying and pasting the contents below:

Ceiling Landing – If Sonic hits a curved ceiling at a high enough speed, he’ll “land” on it and continue run on it. (Damizean)

Peel Out – This has been set so only sonic can do this action (look in Actions [10] Peel Out) (APPO)

A save point – This saves all the data such as ring count, what shield you had etc.. so that at the beginning of the app if you press continue all of this will be loaded (AZU)

Checkpoints – Not the same as a save point as this only places sonic at the last checkpoint you ran through and doesn’t hold ring count, or what shied you had, just position (APPO)

Protection shield – Sonic can be hit a number of times before loosing his rings (AZU)

Magnetic shield - Rings are attracted to sonic when in frame also sonic does an extra jump if you press jump in the air again (NITEMARE & APPO)

Flame shield – Makes sonic immune to fire and also allows sonic to do a little dash forward if you press jump again while in the air (APPO)

Water shield – Stops sonic from drowning and does that bounce thing if you press jump again in the air (APPO)

Boost pads – gives sonic a boost as he runs over them (APPO)

Water slides – sonic slides down them (APPO)

Drowning – If sonic is underwater for to long the music will change and a warning will flash above sonic if he doesn’t manage to get air, sonic will drown (APPO)

Air bubbles (under water) – Gives sonic air if he’s drowning (APPO)

Water run – the ability to run on water at a fast speed (AZU & APPO)

Breakable Rocks\wall – When jumped on or rolled into destroy and produce debris (APPO)

PopUp Spikes – If you place an icon over spikes they become pop out spikes (Rael0505)

Tunnels- Sonic rolls through them (Rael0505)

Crushers – These will crush sonic, so long as you remember to put a sensor where he’ll be crushed (APPO)

Lava – Pretty basic, sonic is hurt when collides with it unless you have the flame shield (APPO\BLUEEMERALD’S post reminded me)

Rocket – This takes sonic to a certain destination (see event editor for more info) (AZU)

Normal switch – When jumped on will open a nearby door (have a look at the events and you’ll see what I mean by nearby, this was just so you didn’t have to create a load of clones of switches and doors) (APPO)

Pressure switch – Will open a door if constant pressure is applied otherwise the door will just shut if there is no pressure (APPO)

Pushing – Basically you can push a block (APPO)

Speed Boots – Makes sonic run faster (APPO)

Invincibility – Makes sonic Invincible (AZU)

Super Sonic – After collecting all the emeralds and 50 rings, if you double jump you will transform (I’ve added a global variable called emeralds, if you want to test out Super sonic set the variable to 7 and collect 50 rings) (APPO)

A scrolling boss cam – The camera scrolls to the centre of the boss are when triggered (this is pretty dodgy but someone might find it useful) (APPO)

Boss – A boss example with Mecha sonic (AZU)

End of level sign post – A sign that changes depending on if your sonic tails or super sonic (APPO)

Sonic got through act... – This comes in at the end of the level and adds all the scores, times and rings into a total score, then onto next level (APPO)

Rank – Will tell you what rank you are depending on rings, time etc... (AZU)

Game Over - If your lives reach 0 and u die the words game over fly in like in most sonic games (APPO)

I have locked the old Sonic Worlds Contributions thread because all of the content in it has been uploaded, and I want to keep it separate. This will be the new thread where we will post our contributions, changes, bug fixes, etc. Try out the new Sonic Worlds and tell us what you think!

EDIT:

Some new hosts, courtesy of LarkSS:

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/230032/Sonic%20Worlds/sonicworldsbeta01-27-09.mfa

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/230032/Sonic%20Worlds/sw_additions_1-27-09.doc

http://www.plunder.com/Sonic-Worlds-beta-01-27-09-download-2797a341.htm

At last a contribution from the community :) The features are all nice as far as I could try them out, but there's some complains:

• I don't really like a lot of the new code. Most of the stuff isn't gimmick-compliant (ie, are self contained, deactivate automatically if it isn't placed in level, etc.).
  • I see a lot of use of timers, wich is WRONG (and I've said it a lot of times already). Never use the timers, they're interruptions, they break the logic flow of the code, and they aren't frame-rate synched, wich ruins the flow.

I suggest you try to look on how the other gimmicks work and adapt to that work-style, wich is in the long run, the best for perfomance.

Well, never really told us how NOT to use timers, so meh.

At any rate, I use alternative values.

IF Alternative Value A < 10 THEN Add 1 to Alternative Value A

IF Alternative Value A => 10 THEN Set Alternative Value A to 0

Add 1 to Alternative Value B

I do something like that.

lol thanks, yeah i'm not gonna lie here i'm more of a 3d artist and animator rather than a programmer so the code won't be as optimized as it could be, i only manage pretty simple programming (as you could probably tell) the only reason i know how to do some code is because i've worked with click team products for about 11 years now, i think i started with klick 'n' play and just looked and took apart a lot of example files to see how they work, so yeah most of the code i didwon't be brilliant but it seems to work :) oh yeah as for peformance, i managed to run this build at 59 fps on my crap laptop which is 1.2GHz (celeron M) 256 of RAM and Intel inbuilt graphics, but if you put it in full screen the frame rate will drop to the 40's, 30's or 20's. however i can run this build on my PC full screen or windowed and the fps doesn't change. Also i would like to thank everyone for the help and contributions they made, cheers guys. anyhow back to the topic i know that a few people have been asking for knuckles to be put in, if nobody is already halfway with doing this and if nobody minds, i'll see what i can do

• Like 3

lol thanks, yeah i'm not gonna lie here i'm more of a 3d artist and animator rather than a programmer so the code won't be as optimized as it could be, i only manage pretty simple programming (as you could probably tell) the only reason i know how to do some code is because i've worked with click team products for about 11 years now, i think i started with klick 'n' play and just looked and took apart a lot of example files to see how they work, so yeah most of the code i didwon't be brilliant but it seems to work :) oh yeah as for peformance, i managed to run this build at 59 fps on my crap laptop which is 1.2GHz (celeron M) 256 of RAM and Intel inbuilt graphics, but if you put it in full screen the frame rate will drop to the 40's, 30's or 20's. however i can run this build on my PC full screen or windowed and the fps doesn't change. Also i would like to thank everyone for the help and contributions they made, cheers guys. anyhow back to the topic i know that a few people have been asking for knuckles to be put in, if nobody is already halfway with doing this and if nobody minds, i'll see what i can do

Oh, and I ported it to TGF2, so EVERYBODY could use it...

TA-DA!

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dzgzmzhtymn

• Like 1

Well, that's certainly good that you can run it on low end equipment, but the problems start to come up when you have large levels with many instances of each gimmick, hundreds of rings, many badniks, multiple parallax layers, etc. etc. all building on top of eachother. Pretty soon, you are looking at a lot of calculating needing to be done on sync at 60 frames per second. For that reason, it's good to have organized code that can be disabled easily when it isn't needed and for it not to rely on messy functions like timers. And thats just aside from the merrit of having the code organized in the first place. This is an open source engine afterall. People being able to make sense of it is essential. And for that reason, we are going to need to continue holding the previous version as the main build until we can revise a lot of this stuff.

ah i understand, when i have ago at doing knuckles i'l revisit the code and see what i can do to optamize. Oh does anybody else seem to have this problem; when sonic is on the water slides he starts bouncing, also you have to press jump about 3 times to get him off the ground, it might just be me but in the file I gave Real everything seemed fine, i've done a little vid to show what i mean

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/Appoy3k/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

i know you can't tell in the first part, but when i'm under water i keep pressing jump but it only works a few times

Oh does anybody else seem to have this problem; when sonic is on the water slides he starts bouncing, also you have to press jump about 3 times to get him off the ground, it might just be me but in the file I gave Real everything seemed fine, i've done a little vid to show what i mean

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/Appoy3k/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

i know you can't tell in the first part, but when i'm under water i keep pressing jump but it only works a few times

Yeah I experienced that also...And also, the slides seem a little...off. When you hold the direction Sonic is sliding to, he bounces. And the boss's hurt animation no longer plays when attacked. And I believe you guys forgot to make the camera scroll object invisible. Otherwise, good job on everything as far as I can tell. (Besides the stuff already mentioned) :)

Whoops! I meant to give Appo another rep and I ended up giving one to dnlhern on accident! XD *facepalm*

Don't worry, Appo. You'll still be getting more reps from me. Thanks a million for getting the new engine off the ground.

[EDIT] Just picked up the engine. First off, it was actually pretty fun as a game. :D Second off, I noticed that the act title card that I fixed wasn't in this build. I still have it, and I'll show it off once I implement it into the new Worlds.

Whoops! I meant to give Appo another rep and I ended up giving one to dnlhern on accident! XD *facepalm*

Don't worry, Appo. You'll still be getting more reps from me. Thanks a million for getting the new engine off the ground.

[EDIT] Just picked up the engine. First off, it was actually pretty fun as a game. :D Second off, I noticed that the act title card that I fixed wasn't in this build. I still have it, and I'll show it off once I implement it into the new Worlds.

LOL, thanks anyway :ssmile:.

(At least I ported it)

OK, so now I know why the title card wouldn't originally work in this build. After porting my raw example directly into the new Worlds, the title card stuck to the frame. Luckily, I had copies of the title card in some working levels, and after a bit of experimenting with the events, I'm proud to say that it now works. :D

Also, I added a couple of events so that the Fire and Lightning Shields will disappear in water. Although Fire Shield already had a similar function, I changed it so that the Shield would be set to 0, instead of setting Hurt to 1.

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy! :)

http://files.filefront.com/sonicworlds2009titlecardfxmfa/;13126930;/fileinfo.html

OK, so now I know why the title card wouldn't originally work in this build. After porting my raw example directly into the new Worlds, the title card stuck to the frame. Luckily, I had copies of the title card in some working levels, and after a bit of experimenting with the events, I'm proud to say that it now works. :D

Also, I added a couple of events so that the Fire and Lightning Shields will disappear in water. Although Fire Shield already had a similar function, I changed it so that the Shield would be set to 0, instead of setting Hurt to 1.

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy! :)

http://files.filefront.com/sonicworlds2009titlecardfxmfa/;13126930;/fileinfo.html

There's nothing to fix in the other one. Just change the global variable "GameMode" to 0. GameMode 999 is quick test, wich disables the titlecard :P

Later today, tommrrow, or sometime over the weekend (depends on homework), I'll release and experimental Special Stage. So, be on the look out. I might do a few ice cap gimmicks some fixes and such. Like the water slide, I don't think Sonic should bounce. I might do a multi boss example like in Lunch Base Act 2.

Not too bad! However, I have some complaints.

1) The water slide doesn't make the player slide, rather it makes him bounce.

2) I see you're recycling resources from Diablohead's ancient TGF engine. So I'd suggest you replace that "GET AIR" text with, say, a countdown like in regular Sonic games? ;)

3) Something in this engine that has always bugged me from day one is still present: when taking damage, the player is bounced in the wrong direction. Because of this, a lot of enemies and hazards just stun Sonic, because he immediately stops and regains some lost rings.

4) If you keep pressing the switch, the door will keep opening. Could possibly be fixed with a flag that is set when the door is opened, so it won't keep opening anymore.

All in all, not too bad! Lots of room for improvement, though.

3) Something in this engine that has always bugged me from day one is still present: when taking damage, the player is bounced in the wrong direction. Because of this, a lot of enemies and hazards just stun Sonic, because he immediately stops and regains some lost rings.

There's an explanation for this! You see, in the original Sonic, when he got hurt, there were two bouncing directions, depending on the object:

If Sonic collided with a spike or some sort, he would bounce forward. If Sonic collided with a badnik, he would bounce backwards. I was looking into the bounce mechanics when I first implemented it, and then realiced the two different modes. After that, I just left it that way for a future fix.