A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Pure Chaotix

Ironrind

Update:

A preview of Botanic Base Act 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again, SFGHQ

..I'll have to explain this a bit. This is still an early protype, but the idea is that each act is broken up into three 'tracks'. Scattered throughout each track will be buttons, switches, doors and various types of gimmicks which link all tracks together. I plan to design most of this game in a team-based fashion simular to Knuckles Chaotix.

A visual concept:

unlockplz.png

Screenshots:

truechaotix1.png

truechaotix2.png

Video of prototype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREyRherAEA

This project will basically revisit the zones from Knuckles Chaotix and will include the same character roster. I'll have a demo posted fairly soon..

I agree with Blaze on this one. Maybe at least something like a darker palette (think of Donkey Kong Country for the SNES).

EDIT: I just noticed that I didn't see the video link. I see you decided what to do with that parallax engine you made some time ago.

Very true.. I'll have to think of a way to switch around the tiles or something. My later goal was to never have the layers the exact same hieght during a switch and to instead switch up or down a bit, but I'll have to figure out how to get the collision code to work with that idea. I'll give the pallet swap a try on top of that.

Thanks for the comments.. I have added a few things such as spikes, moving platforms, and underground routes. The platforms will move along the x, y, and z-axis, so my goal is really to add an element of strategy to the layer transitions. The secondary player will be done completely with AI. His purpose will be to assist you in puzzles that require two characters to solve. I don't think the combination ring will be needed, but I could always hint at it with a gimmick. Right now, I'm testing and experimenting with gimmicks and ideas from Sonic Xtreme, Chaotix, Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot. It could be sometime before I finalize the basics of the gameplay style, but I will post when I have something.

Also, I decided to change the title from "True Chaotix" to "Pure Chaotix" basically saying, "expect pure chaos"

Right now, I'm testing and experimenting with gimmicks and ideas from Sonic Xtreme, Chaotix, Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot.

You could also look for ideas in "Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus" and "Lost Vikings" when it comes to puzzles with multiple characters.

You could also look for ideas in "Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus" and "Lost Vikings" when it comes to puzzles with multiple characters.

You read my mind exactly, cyber rat =P I want to utilize the character specific skills. I have a collection of ideas on how to go about it, but have yet to sort it all out. I went back and added a fog effect to give the layers a better sense of depth as suggested. Here is a preview of Botanic Base.

Video:

It's hard to notice the fog in the clip. How thin are the layers exactly? What I'm getting at is the platform part where Knuckles gets on a small grass platform which carries him to the back layers. I hope it won't be a painful process every time a player sees a platform like that, since missing a platform just because it wasn't 'close' enough could become annoying.

EDIT: yay, 500th post...

Thanks Zenor^_^

It's hard to notice the fog in the clip. How thin are the layers exactly? What I'm getting at is the platform part where Knuckles gets on a small grass platform which carries him to the back layers. I hope it won't be a painful process every time a player sees a platform like that, since missing a platform just because it wasn't 'close' enough could become annoying.

EDIT: yay, 500th post...

The layers are relatively thick. The margin of error connecting to that moving platform is 50 in both z directions. Each layer has a difference in depth that is about 150 so most likely you'll land it when you probably shouldn't. I'll just switch it out if too arduous.

The layers are relatively thick. The margin of error connecting to that moving platform is 50 in both z directions. Each layer has a difference in depth that is about 150 so most likely you'll land it when you probably shouldn't. I'll just switch it out if too arduous.

Well, considering how hard it can become to navigate through layers like these, a margin of 50 seems like fair trade-off.

All in all, I am really looking forward to this. I hope you manage to pull off the character-specific puzzles off well.

Oh, and also not sleep through English hour at his elementary school.

I am giving this sentence a maximum of 3 days until it appears on TSSZ. XD

Joke aside, there was actually something else I wanted to ask. Given that you want this to be a 'character puzzle' game, how much enemies will there be? Will the threats be limited time, enemies, or both? Or do you want to concentrate on making the difficulty of the very puzzles be the true bane?