A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

RAGE 2008 NOW Open!

Random thoughts on the games.

Couldn't get very far in Egg-Rocky. Good for a quick laugh if only because I'd recently seen random parts of that movie.

I'll admit it, I actually enjoyed the storyline of New Sonic. It really feels like a psychological horror up until the end. The ending still rocks though.

Red the Hedgehog was actually pretty cool. I'd kinda like to see a serious fangame done with that concept.

Jesus the Hedgehog in GROWABEARD was also awesome.

Evil the Hedgehog was... interesting. Mostly just a generic SAGE entry.

Sonic and Dawn was mine, I can't really say anything about it.

StH&M3ftAD:ESAUR didn't seem to have the same charm as the original Egg Shaped Aliens, I guess because it really felt like more of the same.

Rushed Adventure really had the right idea. There's something infinitely epic about Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow all fusing together, going super, and fighting Cthulu. The game itself really did feel like a bad fangame, though I'm not totally sure that's a good thing. (Just a note, what's this nonsense about Cthulu being copyright DragonXVI?)

Sonic 4 was more frustrating than funny. I love the implementation of the fancharacter, but something about the game just wasn't right.

As for Commander Squiggles... I'm not really sure what to say. I'm guessing there's some weird in-joke I don't get at the end. All in all, it was... an interesting take.

Overall, I'm not sure what my favorite was.

Just a note, what's this nonsense about Cthulu being copyright DragonXVI?

Simple answer: I got inspired by him.

It all stems back to Doomsday Zone - The generally assumption that "You must stop this guy or else the planet is completely farked" - where they try and throw in an "Epic" climax to the end of the story where as highest stakes as possible are presented

It's surely what allowed DragonBall Z to become so popular, and the similarities between DBZ and Sonic have been discussed before.

The trouble I have is that they've been playing the Big Monster card for some time, each time trying to raise the stakes: In Sonic Adventure it was Station Square's destruction, in SA2 it was the entire planet, Sonic Heroes went back a step and from reading up on Sonic The Hedgehog it was battling some Time/Dimension Controlling/BLah God from screwing up all existence.

The Spirit bombs can only get bigger so many times before things become silly and boring.

Now I love a giant, epic "Holy crap the Universe is going to die!" Boss battle as much as everyone else, but short of Sonic vs. Cthulhu they've pretty much run themselves into the ground. The recent games have tried to impose the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Epic template on themselves and everything from Water Creatures to Genetically Engineered Teleporting Lizards is bordering on the outright bonkers.

If you're going to take Sonic's Traditional Nemesis (Eggman) out of the plinth of Final Boss, at least Keep.

It.

SENSIBLE.

'Sides, I miss the big robots.

I might not come here much, but THIS event sure caught my eye.

I was going to put mine in, "ShadoW Fukks uP j0r Gaym", but I couldn't

put it up since it was on a different computer.

I personally don't know what you guys meant by bad games. Those were some

of the best games I have ever played. :P

ANYWAYS,.....

.I agree with ShootingStar on Egg-Rocky. It was funny but not easy.

.New Sonic was epic. Nuff said. Except that I had no idea how to beat the

final boss.

.Red the Hedgehog actually has a couple of my ideas already implemented

into my game I was gonna post in RAGE. I coincidentially have the Sonic

Worlds title marked out in red with "Shadow, Bitch!!" alot like the "Red TH"

on there, and I also had my voice for sound effects, like on there too. I

guess it's good I didn't put mine on. Oh well, Red was also fun, I liked that

the engine had seriously been fucked. XP

.GROWABEARD was funny, not just because of it's epic HD quality (:P) but

that I couldn't get out of the opening cutscene where the plot was told.

It just stayed there, which I guess added humour to it.

.Evil the Hedgehog was rather good. Almost too good to be in RAGE, though.

.Sonic & Dawn was, well, odd, but I liked it still for the fact of it's satire.

.Rael and Lark's were one of the worst, which is awesome (I suppose) in

RAGE WORLD...

.Rushed Adventure is a seven-year-old's dream (or fanfiction, or whatever).

The fusion of three gay lovers, a crappy game, one international HIT!!

.ZSonic thing was frikkin' hilarious. That is all.

.Commander Squiggles was the most awesome game of them all. And I MUST

know what that song is in the awesome.

-Azukara

New sonic was pretty...pretty.

I think RAGE was just an excuse for the author to introduce the idea. Story is epic, and boss battles are pretty pretty cool. I finished the whole game and i was really satisfied with it.

BTW, those games gave me one idea. What about having "Epic storyline" as the main theme for next RAGE?

Haha. I use to be a "quality tester" for SFGHQ, and a lot of the bad games would be a ridiculously unfair kind of hard. So...

Two hints for you; one, if you just run back and forth a lot, you'll lose fatty points. Two, during the intro to the final boss, pay a lot of attention to the top line, and not as much to the bottom line.

BTW, those games gave me one idea. What about having "Epic storyline" as the main theme for next RAGE?

I think we can work that out, although many of you have already done that the past two years. Kain and Ila's stories are pretty epic.

Evil the Hedgehog was rather good. Almost too good to be in RAGE, though.
Evil was a generic SAGE entry

These two comments make no sense. EvilTH is absolutely terrible. No way I'd let these into SAGE if they appeared in my mailbox.

And no, Commander Squiggles is no inside joke. It's just some random, wacky shit that I thoroughly laughed at.

Actually, that was a typo, I meant a generic RAGE entry, as in it really didn't have anything special about it. My bad.

And the ending of Command Squiggles really did feel like it was referencing some random old n00b. Perhaps I should go back and listen to it again.

New Sonic was awesome. The final boss was FAR better than any of the gay supersonic sections in the advance series.

I think the winning factor for New Sonic was the fact that after having no clue how to kill the boss, i finally click the readme that i ignored and it says simply "Ctrl does something"

Genius

New sonic was pretty...pretty.

I think RAGE was just an excuse for the author to introduce the idea. Story is epic, and boss battles are pretty pretty cool. I finished the whole game and i was really satisfied with it.

Pretty much, though the story was made up on the spot. At first, I just felt like making interesting animations without worrying about actual quality. But whenever I picked Zero Two as the final boss music, I just didn't have it in me to not make a respectable final boss battle.

My thoughts:

-Egg-Rocky: I had a good laugh whenever I finally beat the boss. Nice last-minute entry.

-Evil Sonic: First time through I went "words? TOO MUCH WORDS" ::skip:: But when I did read through it, laughs were had. Anyway, I can see what people mean from "generic RAGE entry", but come on, there are like four different parts from four different arrangements playing at once!

-Red the Hedgehog: WHAT DID YOU DO TO GRAVITY? A nice mix between humor and crap-induced frustration when most entries pick one or the other.

-G.R.O.W.A.B.E.A.R.D. : Two words:

Fuck

sthgrowaberA.png

You

sthgrowaberC.png

Also adorable.

-Commander Squiggles - I really love the mix of Eternal Darknes humor and GLaDOS humor. Edit: OK, damn it, it's amazing how whenever I set out to press every button on my keyboard, I ALWAYS forget about tab.

-Sonic 4 - You certainly have the frustrating part down packed. Damn this game was annoying. Also, props to the seamless way you inserted your required fan character.

-Sonic and Dawn - pretty short and simple. Interesting to see all the errors that are so easy to form in Game Maker with its working of solid objects.

-Sonic Rushed Adventure - Cthulhu gave me a seizure and then successfully destroyed Sonailsickles' world? Awesome. Light dash is hax.

-Mewthree - Despite it being a fairly safe sequel, improved presentation and songitude keeps it from seeming too much like more of the same.

Edit: OK, you can get 4 hits off in Red the Hedgehog. No real ending, though.