A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chaotix RPG Sprite Project

Done!

[qimg]http://www.maj.com/gallery/TTOT/Sonic-Stuffies/supersonic.png[/qimg]

Correct colors, correct side sprites, Even Dash poses!

I'm glad you took the time to correct the colour errors and make some new poses. But the same problem exists- the top poses of Sonic facing upwards needs the spines pointing outwards as they look like they're poiting downwards. Thats the final problem you need to fix until your sprites are completed. Well done.

Im on my way! :D

Ok, good luck. The reason I wnat these sprites such good quality is because I'm planning on converting my game from RPG Maker 2K3 to XP and giving it an online play function. Although I've heard that most RPG Maker XP online scripts are...well...terrible I'm hoping to find a decent one. WAHAY Online Sonic Chaotix!

Hey, what's your problem? I never attacked you or anything. Don't be so sensitive.

I can't see any reasons why not to have this many characters

It's unnecessary. Unless each character plays dramatically differently, there's no reason to have them all. You'll just have like 30 clones of the same character. Wasted space.

why it isn't a community project

This isn't a community project. At least, it isn't an SFGHQ community project (I don't know if you meant there's another community helping you work on this such as the Sonic Stadium). A community project would have to be something that most of the community contributes to (see why it's called "community project"?). And the community would have to do more than just submit some sprites. You'd have to have people working on the engine, level maps, bosses, level backgrounds, etc. You can't just register here and expect to make a community project. It would have to be started by someone who has some respect.

why I shouldn't have to ask for help.

Asking for help if you can do something yourself makes you look lazy.

Hey, what's your problem? I never attacked you or anything. Don't be so sensitive.

It's unnecessary. Unless each character plays dramatically differently, there's no reason to have them all. You'll just have like 30 clones of the same character. Wasted space.

This isn't a community project. At least, it isn't an SFGHQ community project (I don't know if you meant there's another community helping you work on this such as the Sonic Stadium). A community project would have to be something that most of the community contributes to (see why it's called "community project"?). And the community would have to do more than just submit some sprites. You'd have to have people working on the engine, level maps, bosses, level backgrounds, etc. You can't just register here and expect to make a community project. It would have to be started by someone who has some respect.

Asking for help if you can do something yourself makes you look lazy.

1- The reason for so many characters is because I am intending to make this game online, everyone loves to play as their favorate character and with a list this huge people will be spoilt for choice XP. Also it'd suck to see loads of people playing as Knuckles/ Sonic ect because of the lack of characters, at least this way everyone has the choice to play as someone they actually like as opposed to someone they have to play as due to the lack of characters. Remember how everyone got all touchy because Koopa Trooper was axed from Mario Kart DS and replaced by Dry Bones? Also I was originally intending to have around 9-10 playable characters but then I told everyone that they could request a character to be playable. Hence the reason the list has just been updated again. I won't allow it to get any bigger than this though. The current list is FINAL.

2- Characters will be customisable with attacks, items, skills ect. That way there will be variety amongst characters.

3- Other communities are PixelTendo and MFZ.

4- I am being helped with the game, I'm not doing it alone. Besides I've only just recently come to the point where I've had to ask for help.

5- I don't need help with backgrounds or boss sprites at this moment in time, hence the reason I havn't asked for help on those yet.

6- I'm not expecting to getthis project done anytime soon. I'd rather make it a quality game over a long period of time. Besides how many playable characters did Time Splitters 2 have? I don't think I have anywhere near as many as that game.

7- The space won't be wasted, you can hardly call a few extra kilobytes wasted.

8- This projects been running for a couple of days, I hardly doubt the entire communty knows about it yet.

9- *coughSONICBATTLEPROJECTcough* How many characters does that have? way more than this project, and at least these sprites are being made for a purpose.

10- Sorry for being rude but your posts have come across as negative.

11- You've said that "you can do it yourself" thing before, and I'll give you the same answer- I'm not an experienced spriter, see how ALL of the hard to make sprites havn't got my name next to them?

The reason for so many characters is because I am intending to make this game online, everyone loves to play as their favorate character and with a list this huge people will be spoilt for choice XP. Also it'd suck to see loads of people playing as Knuckles/ Sonic ect because of the lack of characters, at least this way everyone has the choice to play as someone they actually like as opposed to someone they have to play as due to the lack of characters. Remember how everyone got all touchy because Koopa Trooper was axed from Mario Kart DS and replaced by Dry Bones? Also I was originally intending to have around 9-10 playable characters but then I told everyone that they could request a character to be playable. Hence the reason the list has just been updated again. I won't allow it to get any bigger than this though. The current list is FINAL.

Oh, I see. Because it's online, you wouldn't want a bunch of Sonic's running around. Just make sure they're somewhat different from each other and there won't be a problem.

I am being helped with the game, I'm not doing it alone. Besides I've only just recently come to the point where I've had to ask for help.

I can see that. I guess the proper term would be a team project, then. Community project implies that the entire community is working on it.

I'm not expecting to getthis project done anytime soon. I'd rather make it a quality game over a long period of time. Besides how many playable characters did Time Splitters 2 have? I don't think I have anywhere near as many as that game.

Never heard of the game.

This projects been running for a couple of days, I hardly doubt the entire communty knows about it yet.

No, not really. And if you'll allow me to rephrase: It has to be a project that everyone's interested in and wants to contribute to.

Sorry for being rude but your posts have come across as negative.

I'm sorry if you're sensitive. The only thing I don't like is hearing you call this a community project.

You've said that "you can do it yourself" thing before, and I'll give you the same answer- I'm not an experienced spriter, see how ALL of the hard to make sprites havn't got my name next to them?

I guess I wouldn't know, as I haven't actually looked. However, you did say that you could do one or two a day yourself.

Oh, I see. Because it's online, you wouldn't want a bunch of Sonic's running around. Just make sure they're somewhat different from each other and there won't be a problem.

Ok, will do.

I can see that. I guess the proper term would be a team project, then. Community project implies that the entire community is working on it.

The only thing I don't like is hearing you call this a community project.

Fine, "Team Project" it is.

However, you did say that you could do one or two a day yourself.

Yeah, one or two easy ones...

Tapika- Hyper Sonic is not needed sorry...

I'll update the thred on the MFZ right away and PixelTendo when it's back up.

I found a RPG Tails sprite by Master Kirby, but the pallette was off so I started recoloring. He used so many freakin' colors that it may take quite a while for me to finish.

RPGTailsWIP1.png

W.I.P. Left Tails is the recoloring taking place. ( No, it will not look like that ) Right Tails is the original sprite unrecolored.

I found a RPG Tails sprite by Master Kirby, but the pallette was off so I started recoloring. He used so many freakin' colors that it may take quite a while for me to finish.

[qimg]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/LarkSS/SFGHQ%20Forum%20Pics/RPGTailsWIP1.png[/qimg]

W.I.P. Left Tails is the recoloring taking place. ( No, it will not look like that ) Right Tails is the original sprite unrecolored.

Not bad, if you could fix up the feet and gloves then that'd be good. W.I.P for you. Keep up the good...um...recolouring?

RPGTails2.png

I finally recolored the first part of Tails. It didn't take that long, I just was doing other stuff. It may not look too different, but trust me; it's different. Once I finish the rest of Tails, I'll post the sprite sheet. I still have yet to fix up the parts you mentioned. =p Remember to give credit to Master Kirby and LarkSS.

And yes, I made that recolor out of that freakish colored Tails. =P

ANYBODY WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED OR IS PLANNING ON CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROJECT READ NOW!

I have recently changed the game format from RM2K3 To RPG Maker XP.

This is good because-

I can add more new features to the game as it enables scripts to imported.

Online play is now actually a possiblity.

ZOMG! The size of the character sprites IS INCREASED! Look at this!

Here is an example of the sprite size boundries in RMXP, I can use a full sized Sonic Advance sprite and still have leftover space. And even better I can fit a Chao Garden DX sprite into the template.

Of course I can see that a few people have already submitted sprites and they won't go to waste. They can cameo on posters and such and full credit will still be given.

SonicExample.png

Look at the size differences. The larger sprites "should" be easier to edit as you don't have to worry about getting everything pixel perfect.

The list will be edited for the new sprites and the same poses are still required. A new template will go up as well. Also as the sprites are larger I'll allow people to post only a single sprite to get a W.I.P

I will edit the first post with a new template.

Please leave any comments.

Does this mean I should stop what I'm doing? Maybe you could make the small sprites secret characters or make an option that lets you choose big or small sprites.

I had a jumping animation for that sprite once... Maybe I could make it again.

Does this mean I should stop what I'm doing? Maybe you could make the small sprites secret characters or make an option that lets you choose big or small sprites.

I had a jumping animation for that sprite once... Maybe I could make it again.

You can continue if you wish. I'll find a use for all sprites. The big/small function is a likely option as a few of the sprites are done. It'll only be available for the main characters though as thats what everyone seems to to be working on. The mini jumping animations will be required also.

OK. Seeing as I started it, I'm going to finish it. Do you have a jumping animation for that big sprite already? And if not, is there a limit to how many frames it can have?

RMXPTemplate.png

Four frames. One for standing still, three for movement. Although for a jumping sprite, four movement sprites would be required.

The first post is too long to edit. Super Mini Mode characters WILL NOT have jumping animations.

Sweet, less work for me. =P Time for me to finish up Tails.

And four frames of animation is perfect.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

I just had this thought. Wouldn't it seem strange that the sprites in the field are bigger than the sprites when you're battling?

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

RPGTails3.png

Just thought I'd give an update on the progress. It's much better than just showing that single frame with the nasty colors. =( ( However, I find it to be quite helpful )

I just had this thought. Wouldn't it seem strange that the sprites in the field are bigger than the sprites when you're battling?

I suppose, but the thing with RM2K3 was the battle sprites were shrunken and the map sprites were enlarged so everything looked the same. However RMXP keeps the sprites at their original sizes so they look the same as they originally did. I suppose it would be sorta strange having smaller battle sprites but I can't imagine it'd make much difference to be honest. Anything is better than the awful default XP battle system.

Awesome sprites as well.

I see what you're saying. Ah well, it makes it seem like a zoomed out camera to fit everyone into the action anyway. The battling engine is like you choose a move and the character does it, right? Because at first I thought you got to move around freely.

BTW, don't credit me on the actual sprite. Although, it is taking tons of work to recolor Tails like that. I don't know why the heck he used so many colors when you can't even tell the difference.

About the jumping set for the big Sonic, is it okay if I just edit Sonic a bit so he looks like he's in a ball and it rotates 90 degrees for each frame? Because that's what I had in mind.

I see what you're saying. Ah well, it makes it seem like a zoomed out camera to fit everyone into the action anyway. The battling engine is like you choose a move and the character does it, right? Because at first I thought you got to move around freely.

Actually after searching around for a new XP battle system script I found a rather interesting one that works alot like the Golden Sun ones, except better. I'll edit this post with a screenshot in a sec as it's hard to explain.

Even though you're only recolouring a Tails sprite it still counts towards the project, I'd be insulted if you didn't let me give you credit:D

As the Sonic jump, be my guest. As long as it looks good.

-NEWS!-

Scripts currently implemented into Sonic Chaotix-

A script which allows you to run whilst holding the shift key

A script which makes your party members follow you

A script for an isomentric battle view

The online gameplay script is still a W.I.P but hopefully it'll be complete by the time the single player gameplay of this game is finished.

-MORE NEWS!-

I have just finished a battle sprite template for the battle system I am using.

BATTLE TEMPLATE

The poses must be put into the boxes in this order-

Row 1 = Run to enemy to atk

Row 2 = Standing/Waiting Animation

Row 3 = Block animation

Row 4 = Char is hit animation

Row 5 = Char is attacking animation

Row 6 = Skill/Magic use animation

Row 7 = Death Animation

Row 8 = Victory dance animation

You shouldn't use the huge sprites, for a few various reasons

1)What about characters BIGGER than Sonic? Eggman, Big, Vector, Vanilla etc. They'd all be the same size as Sonic since Sonic takes up all the space

2)They're about the same level of complexity as the smaller Sonic advance sprites anyway.

3)You should use Sonic Advance, because a lot of it's already done for you from the games. Sonic Advance sprites aren't as detailed as Battle Sprites either, so they're not really that hard to do.