A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chaotix RPG Sprite Project

Uhh WTF? I don't mean character sprites, I mean map sprites...

We have like, no map sprites so far (the others were examples, I'll still find use for them).

Yoshi's Island example

Sonic Advance example (because you've obviously never seen these style sprites before...yay sarcasm!

I'm really not bothered about the sprite style, I'll let you guys choose, I just thought the Yoshi style would look good in an RPG.

Also, I actually am back this time, my father decided to keep me round his computer-less house for a week...

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

*sigh* This topic is so nearing death...

Here are some storyline details while I work on the new costumes for Charmy and Espio.

Sorry for the lack of anything decent over the last two weeks, I've only been near a computer once in the last 2 weeks.

K, Silver Sonic (the robot from Sonic 2, not that bender in STH06) has been wondering Planet Freedom in search of the three legendary Delta Drives, when all three are collected the bearer is granted the gift of a God-like status (magical powers ect...). Although Silver Sonic is in a terrible state after Sonic almost destroyed him so he finds his way into the GUN robot plant where he attempts to repair and improve his horribly defective body. After equiping himself with one of the Delta Drives he renames himself Nemesis and no-longer wishes to be a mere Sonic copy, he has higher goals now, he aims to conquer the world.

Dr Robotnik has now decided that Sonic's friendship with Knuckles and Tails will always prevent him from defeating Sonic, so he decides to create a new breed of mecha, Inferno Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, three robots, each equipped with the data of the original and vast improvements. He has also hired Fang The Sniper to retrieve the Chaos Emeralds for him (obviously at a price), however upon learning of the Delta Drives Robotnik's goal is quickly changed, with the Delta Drives he can finally rid the world of his arch-nemesis (no not Silver Sonic) and take the entire planet for himself.

After being sent to jail for outstanding bill payments (darn I forgot to pay the electric bill for the office) Vector, Charmy and Espio recieve a distress call from an old friend, Mighty and his best friend Ray have been sealed in the Cyber Matrix (that thing Shadow has to go through in ShTH), not hesitated to help a friend in need the trio break out and race to Mighty's aid, only to come across a computer generated girl named Anita (working name, this one is a fan-character but will be very original, not a main-stream species, hell she won't be a species at all), on the run from digital viruses that are hell bent on destroying her. Later Espio discovers that Nemesis is the one behind the viruses, for what reason could he want Anita destroyed?

Tiara Boobowski, princess of the south region of the "surface" (formerly the Land Of Darkness, the planet has been restored to it's former glory after Metal Robotnik was destroyed), after Robotnik learns of her future reign he kidnaps her in order to bribe her father into giving Robotnik control over the entire South Region.

After Amy interupts a quite afternoon on the beach Sonic is presented with a hologram message from Sara, it would appear Robotnik is at it again and this time he means business. After being captured and partnering up with Tiara in Robotnik's prison Sonic must travel Planet Freedom in search of the Chaos Emeralds in an attempt to collect them all before Fang.

After being hired by an anonymous client Rouge has been sent to research the events that took place in the Land Of Darkness that caused Metal Sonic's death. After finding her way into Robotnitropolis she discovers Robotnik's base and comes across the plans for "Sub-Zero"- A bio-mechancial creature that will created to destroy Nemesis, not knowing of Nemesis, Rouge's immediate reaction is contact the President, she is given immediate orders to prevent it's creation at all costs.

After his heroic act a statue of Metal Sonic has been erected in Metal City in his remembrance. Although little does anyone know that Metal Sonic is far from dead. After the magma cooled and froze over Metal Sonic came out of his prismatic state and burst out. Although his armour was damaged that was easily repaired with his built-in Auto-Recovery Mode. He now realises that Sonic is not the enemy, it was Robotnik all along.

The other characters will get storyline details soon as these are the storylines I have actually thought up yet...

great storylines btw!

Thanks alot, it took awhile to come up with them.

The Shadow battle sheet looks good so far, I'd like to see it finished but no problems if you can't for some reason.

I'm just glad this topic isn't as dead as I thought it was.

Ok, next time you should make it more clearer that the characters aren't changing style. Because it wasn't very clear @.@

Yoshi island style background and stuff, hrmm... I don't see any real problems with it. I'm not sure how well they blend together, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm in a bit of a spriting slump at the moment. Just don't really feel like spriting apart from one or two minor things. So not really sure when anything of mine will be anywhere near done.

Ok, next time you should make it more clearer that the characters aren't changing style. Because it wasn't very clear @.@

Heh...Sorry about that...

I'm in a bit of a spriting slump at the moment. Just don't really feel like spriting apart from one or two minor things. So not really sure when anything of mine will be anywhere near done.

Don't worry about it, I think everyone is in a spriting slump right now, I've been trying to get this damned Tiara sprite done for days.

Don't hate me for this K, I'll just quote an MSN conversation between me and Rugal (plays Mighty in Sonic Triple Madness Pt 1&2) (I'm renaming myself to Me, for this as well)-

Me:

Heh, I'm thinking of scrapping my RPG and making a Triple Trouble remake, I was playing it today and realised how awesome and neglected it is.

Lavatory Love Machine says:

yup

one of my fave Sonic games

others being, Sonic 2, Sonic n Knuckles, Fighters, and Adventure 1

if anything I would so want to see a remake of TT on the game boy or DS

Nack added so much to that game

Me:

So RPG or TT remake

TT

Me:

Yay! Hmm I wondering if I should use 3D models on a 2D field, ala Sonic Rush. What would you say Custom sprites or models

custom

since there's not many of Nack

well sans TT

Me:

Custom sprites over a custom Nack model! 0_0, fine your the boss.

It'd probably end up alot more like Roger's Triple Madness as I'd be adding extra crap to the game, Shadow won't be part of that crap though.

ofcourse

he had nothing to do with it

this was back when the Sonic games were always good

Me:

Yeah, and pop-guns were the only weapons we ever saw, that and toy hammers

well he did have a real gun, but it was censored out

because Sega didn't want TT to be rated Teen

course this was before E10+ was ever created

Me:

I think I prefer pop, obviously Fang would be playable in this game.

yeah so would Knux

although he'd still be a boss for Sonic or Tails if you were playing as them

I know we've put alot of effort into these sprites but there are so many to go and then theres the battle animations and scenery and no one really seems bothered anymore. I've not got too far into the making of the game anyway and I know a 2D game would go down alot better. All of the sprites can just be compiled into one big sheet and subitted to the MFZ, giving many more people a chance to use them (of course you'd all be given credit and I'd finish off all the incomplete sheets).

I'm going to get killed for this, sorry guys but I really think I can do better than an RPG...

I'm going to get killed for this, sorry guys but I really think I can do better than an RPG...

....I'd say regardless what you think you can do, I'd finish what you started. This topic went a long way and you got so much help it must have been a miracle and we've still haven't seen a demo and now you're going to give it up to another idea. I think that's just plain wrong.

....I'd say regardless what you think you can do, I'd finish what you started. This topic went a long way and you got so much help it must have been a miracle and we've still haven't seen a demo and now you're going to give it up to another idea. I think that's just plain wrong.

I never said I was giving up, just I was talking to a friend about the idea.

I can get a demo done anyway though, see what you guys think but as I've noticed with RPG games before (back when I was using RPG Maker 2003) the filesize gets outstandingly high, Chaotix of Tommorow was 36mb and that used a few custom sprites and that was it, everything else was default. Imagine the size of this game-

RGSS- Thats 22mb alone

Music- The default kills your ears, and RPGs need alot of music or it gets repetitive, that'd be at least 50mb

Sprites- They'd all end up around 10 mb

Sound Effects and Voices- That'd end up huge, at least 50mb (although I'd release a low-fi version without this)

And the game itself- at least 36 mb, if chaotix of Tommorow can rack up this much then I'm sure this would as well.

That would limit my game to an absolute minimum amount of players and whats the point of making agame if no one will play it, people complain when a game is over 12mb, imagine what they'd say to this...

A lot of people put hard work into this. Don't scrap it. If you want to work on something new, go ahead. But finish this too.

K, I will do, I want to take a break from it right now and get to work on this other game. I'll be sure to finish this one off though, I'll get this (very overdue) demo out ASAP.

Well... I'm probably not going to finish my sprites, like ever.

I haven't sprited in like a fortnight. It's my second week back at Uni... and well, I have no free time at all with the stuff I do (And it's only the second week, no pressing assignments and what not).

So it personally doesn't bother me if you cancel the game, I see it as I had a some fun spriting the characters, maybe got a little better, but no real harm done. Others of course, are going to feel a bit annoyed at the work they put in, especially those who made custom.

Overall, do what you want. But whatever you choose, people will recognise you either way. If you cancel, people are going to be a bit more reluctant to help you in the future. If you continue, well... you might put out a half-arsed product which nobody likes anyway because you didn't really feel like doing it.

I started a few projects back a few months, but I never put anything up here because I know that I can quickly lose interest in things, so it's not worth the time and effort of other people to help me out if I'm suddenly just going to stop doing it.

I think you just pretty explained what I mean perfectly.

Well, a friend of mine is making a Sonic RPG and since hes part of Sonic Cage Dome hes trying to get his game into the new SCD Technical Institute, perhaps if I gave him the file and let him finish it off?

That could work.

I'll see what I can do with it first though, I'll get as much done as possible, hell maybe even finish it. I have soem nice ideas and shizz planned but for now I'll let this topic die (not lcoked >=0). I'll revive it when I have something to show.;)

Well if you make a demo, that would be great. If you think you want to keep going with it after that just to see it finished and people are willing to help, I'd go with it.

And about giving it to the other guy to finish, that might work, but wouldn't they have a completely different vision of the project then? Just not sure how that would work out.

• 2 months later...