A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chaotix RPG Sprite Project

Sure, I can do Sonic's jumping sprites. I put 2 jumping sets since the forward and backward jump was in a spiky ball so I wondered if you wanted the sideways jump to be the same. I'll see if I can get to Amy and Cream sometime tomorrow.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

Okay, I was going to do Sonic's jump when I came across a tiny problem that could use your decision. I have a couple sideways jumps and I'd like you to choose which one I should use.

SonicJumpSet1.png

Here's a little animation of what I have for Metal Overlords walking pose. So I've basically completed that, and now have to do the other views, plus jumping.

metaloverlordwalkright1wp.gif

I noticed for the IN Battle sheets, that the ones that are actually in Sonic Battle, are missing. So I assume they're just automatically going to be done from Sonic Battle sprites, so I was wondering if you could whip up say a Sample Sonic sheet so I can get ideas on what exactly each pose is supposed to do. Like... Casting, do we need it? If so, what type of stuff should happen in it, since Sonic isn't exactly 'wave your arms around and lightning bolts come and kill the enemy' if you get what I mean.

Edit : All Done

metaloverlordwalkright1wp.gifmetaloverlordwalkforward1yb.gifmetaloverlordwalkbehind8sa.gif

metaloverlord0th.gif

Since I don't know what the transparent colour is, I left it as template and added a permission tag to it, incase someone else wanders upon it down the track.

That looks so awesome! =) All you need is a jumping set and it'll be complete.

Sonic-Blitz: How come you put all my jumping sets as W.I.P.? Is there something you'd like me to fix or change?

I think I'm confused. =/ Does the walking animation count the first frame or does it just loop between frames 2, 3, and 4? Also, did the way I set up the jumping animation work fine ( loop 1, 2, 3, and 4 ) or do I need to do it a different way? Just checking so I won't mess up anymore sprite sheets.

frame 1 : Standing Still

Walking animation goes

Frame 2, Frame 4, Frame 3, Frame 4, repeat.

That is correct.

Since I don't know what the transparent colour is, I left it as template and added a permission tag to it, incase someone else wanders upon it down the track.

The transparent colour can be whichever you like. Don't worry about changing it now though, I'll edit it when I import the sheet. Absolute flawless sprites. Thanks alot :)

I was wondering if you could whip up say a Sample Sonic sheet so I can get ideas on what exactly each pose is supposed to do. Like... Casting, do we need it? If so, what type of stuff should happen in it, since Sonic isn't exactly 'wave your arms around and lightning bolts come and kill the enemy' if you get what I mean.

Ok-

Battlesprites.png

It's just a sample though, for my final Sonic Inbattle sheet I'll be added custom poses and such. This is just an example. The sprites have to be in the order they are marked on the sheet or the game will use the worng sprites for the wrong actions, eg. Death animation whilst attacking. Also please ignor the fact that the guard animations are out of place...

Sonic-Blitz: How come you put all my jumping sets as W.I.P.? Is there something you'd like me to fix or change?

Whoops, sorry, I'll fix that right away.
Frame 3: Middle of walking animation

Frame 3 is Frame 4 XP

Also for game artwork, a freind of mine, Magz, has offered to draw Sarah and the President 'cause I can't draw real anime for peanuts...

LarkSS- As for the Sonic jumping sprites the first one is fine. I'll finsih the forward walking animations for the other characters right away.

First one? Okay then. Do you want me to fix up the other sprite sheets? I figured their animation sequence was frame 1, frame 2, frame 3, frame 4, and repeat. =P Also, how does the jumping animation sequence work? In the same way?

First one? Okay then. Do you want me to fix up the other sprite sheets? I figured their animation sequence was frame 1, frame 2, frame 3, frame 4, and repeat. =P Also, how does the jumping animation sequence work? In the same way?

Theres no point, I'll fix it up myself. Jumping = same way

I'll need the answer from SonicBlitz, thank you.

unfortunatly Tapika he is correct. The death animation can't be un-looped and extra animations can't added. Shame really, nice sprites though. I'd imagine Super Sonic would have a more dramatic fighting stance and a more powerful basic attack than just a punch perhaps you could use a punch, kick, punch, kick animtion? As the special skill poses, I think a ball of energy like a blue recolour of the guard sprites would suit that along with the poses he has now. The victory pose needs work as well. I like the Chaos Emeralds, are they custom?

SonicAdvancedMapJump.png

There you go. I'd appreciate it if you organized them in the way that you'd like them so I can build off of it. Also, do you want those forward and backwards jumping sprites I used or something original?

Edit: Okay, I noticed two things. 1, the Retro Sonic Jumping pic in the first post won't come up. 2, you didn't put any of the Knuckles stuff up yet in the first post.

AmyMAP.png

There you go, an Amy walking/standing sprite sheet aligned to the same exact grid as your Sonic example and in the proper order. I even made some animations special to whether it was the standing pose or the inbetween walking pose that ALMOST looks like they're standing. I'll do the jumping later.

unfortunatly Tapika he is correct. The death animation can't be un-looped and extra animations can't added. Shame really, nice sprites though. I'd imagine Super Sonic would have a more dramatic fighting stance and a more powerful basic attack than just a punch perhaps you could use a punch, kick, punch, kick animtion? As the special skill poses, I think a ball of energy like a blue recolour of the guard sprites would suit that along with the poses he has now. The victory pose needs work as well. I like the Chaos Emeralds, are they custom?

Emeralds are custom.

Nuts...

Super Sonic is just Sonic floating with Shadow's spikes. Why not that idle?

Ok, I have a chaos shock pose for the special attack if you want...

Hrmm... anyone got any ideas for what Metal Overlord can be doing in his idle? I've got his cape flapping in the wind, arms crossed, but other than that, I'm a bit stumped. Because you know, if you're doing some cool pose like that, you're not really flexing any joints,etc. Nor would robots really need to like bounce around in an idle... so I'm just a bit stumped on how to make it look interesting.

I have ideas on what I'm going to do with the Metals for attacks and such, just the idles stump me a bit.

Here's what I've got so far overlordidle4as.gif

One query, with the hit animation. Does it go through, then back through the other way to get back to the original position? Or does it go through, then suddenly they're back in the fighting stance? Just thinking on how to make things look fluid.

Actually, it'd be nice to know how a few other animations work as well, since it surprises me that the death animation loops. How does Victory pose go? Does that loop as well until the player exits the battle? or does it only play once and stop on the last frame?

The animation sequences are- (R= repeat)

Walk towards enemy- 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 R

Idle- 1-2-3-4-1 R

Attack- 1-2-3-4-1

Skill- 1-2-3-4-1 R

Guard Execution- 1-2-3-4-Idle

Gaurd (when being hit)- 1-2-3-4-1 R

Death- 1 (No framed movement)

Victory pose- 1-2-3-4

LarkSS- Sorry I havn't put up the Knuckles sprites yet, I wanted to get the walking animation done. I'll post it within the next hour. I won't be able to get the Tails or Amy walking poses done for a few days because the guy who will be playing Might has requested a script so I have to get that finished. As for the jumping sprites, they're fine as they are.

Someone 2040- Perfect Metal Overlord idle. It's nice to see something original for once rather than an edited Shadow idle sprite. Only one thing though, when playing as Metal Overlord the walking forward head looks kinda dodgy as in his spines look too small. Could you fix this for me? Other than that, perfection.

Tapika- You're doing good with the Super Sonic sprites but I think the sheet be improved. Try to take take with your sprites rather than rushing to gte the sheet done. No-one is going to take your place as Super Sonic so don't worry about getting there first. The Super Sonic sheet should be one of the best and I think you could acheive this. The basic attack needs to be more original, victory pose needs to be more serious, after saving the world the "thumbs-up" would probably be the last thing on Sonic's mind- I know they used it in SA but it was just an edit of Sonic's model. Special skill needs to be more original. Once the sprites are done I'll add an energy field to Super Sonic for you to give the sprites that "super charged" feel. Good luck. Remember if you need ideas for original poses just ask, I'm sure one of these guys will help.

I was waiting for you to reply before posting this.

CreamMAP.png

This took more editting than any of the others so far. She just wouldn't stop moving around. =P I tried to make the forward animation as true to the sideways animations as possible and I arranged them in the proper order just like Amy.

Little Comment: I tried to fit Tails into the alloted space and he was too big! What are you going to do about that? I'm fitting Knuckles right now and I'll organize the jumping sprites to the same direction order as the walking set. After that, I'm not too sure if I'll be of much more help except for trying to solve problems and giving ideas. Keep going with this project. It seems very interesting and I'd like to see it finished. =)

The eyes look to go a little dark too fast to me, but... it's hard to do it with only 4 frames. I might give him foot tapping, that might work.

Hmm... Couldn't you fix that problem by using lighter colors for the transition? I know it's hard for 4 frames and if you can't do anything about it I'd leave it alone. It looks fine to me. Also, the tapping foot may go too fast for 4 frames. It would seem like he's in one heck of a rush to finish the battle. =P

Reorganized the Knuckles sprite including the jumping animation.

KnucklesMAP.png

KnucklesJUMP.png

I fixed up the 4th frame of the walking backward animation with a bit of editting to the feet and hands. I'll reorganize some other sprites and try to get to Amy and Cream's jumping animations.

I was waiting for you to reply before posting this.

I knew you would be XP

Well done with the Cream BTW. I'll get that finished as soon as I have some spare time.

I tried to fit Tails into the alloted space and he was too big! What are you going to do about that?

I'm going to do this about that-Tailsmap2.png

After that, I'm not too sure if I'll be of much more help except for trying to solve problems and giving ideas. Keep going with this project. It seems very interesting and I'd like to see it finished. =)

Thanks for all your help LarkSS, I think there are other thigs you could do though, the sprites from Retro Genesis/ MegaDrive games, they arn't exactly in Advanced style are they? If you still wnat to add to the...loads of credit you've already earned then that'd be the next step. I could do the up and down jumping poses for them along with down and up walking sprites so you wouldn't have to worry about that. As for seeing the project finished, you can bet your life it'll be finished XP

Oh and I've finished Knuckles for you, it's in the first post.